Skip to content

MacOS WeiDu Launcher: easy mod installation on Macs!

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Luke93 - The app your applications folder is just a launcher. The actual Baldurs Gate app is in your Library. See the guide for all the correct game folder locations.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx/p1
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @AstroBryGuy I eventually managed to find the "Library " & get it worked, thanks for the guide.
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    Thank you, AstroBryGuy and subtledoctor. I'll delete the (probably) offending files, wipe my override folder, and start again.

I'm curious why changing the permissions of everything in the resources folder, which I did, didn't make it work, but I guess that may be because the Mac get info folder only allows changing permissions re read and write; I know I've used the terminal before to change execute permissions, too (I remember that there were eight possibilities, i.e., 2^3), but I forget the specifics. It's a shame the Mac's permissions are so opaque, though I guess it's a good thing for most users. (It's also a source of endless frustration in other ways; for example, permissions issues in Mavericks prevent me and many others from being able smoothly to update our systems.)
    edited June 2015
    Changing the permissions didn't work because, as you noted, the Get Info view only allows changing read/write permissions, not execute permissions. Unfortunately, sometimes the OSX package of a mod is packaged with a WeiDU binary (the setup-[MODNAME] file) without execute permission (as is the case for SCS). I would assume it's just an oversight on the part of the person packaging the mod, probably because they are a Windows-user and may not know that OSX uses Unix-based file permissions.

You could change the execute permission from the Terminal using the command:
    chmod u+x filename
    where filename is the name of the file you want to give execute permission to.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    JuliusBorisov
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    Manually changing the permissions of the Stratagems setup file seems to have worked. Thank you again for your help.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FeilhävenFeilhäven Member Posts: 13
    Hi guys,

Thanks for this great piece of work! I was so thrilled to find this and to understand how it all works, but unfortunately I get this error when I do as instructed:

cd '/Users/mhe/Applications/Baldur'\''s Gate Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/'
    Macbook-Pro:Resources mhe$ ./setup-dsotscBGEE
    [./setup-dsotscBGEE] WeiDU version 23800

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

What am I doing wrong here? I'm using Mac Weidu Launcher and Weidu from inside the Ressources library and I have copied the relevant files into the Ressources directory. What am I failing here?

Any help would be soundly appreciated!
    Feilhäven
  • FeilhävenFeilhäven Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the swift reply, my good man, much appreciated.

Apparently, there are two directories called Ressources and I was in the wrong one. I should never have bought a Mac, because every time I need to learn something new, it takes much longer than expected.

In any case, searching for the chitin.key file brought out the right Ressources folder and I was allowed to install the two mods I wanted to install.

Thanks again and may you have yourself a wonderful rest of the day, knowing you helped a helpless yet enthusiatic player of Baldur's Gate! Haha!
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    dosentti666AstroBryGuy

p.s. I don't suppose anyone wants to make an icon for this?

It's not the prettiest icon, but here's an idea:

Maybe with "WeiDU" below it:

• AnilisAnilis Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

So it's time for another play-through of my fave game which also means I have to solve various mod issues before I can get started.

I have a list of mods I want to install, have the latest weidu launcher for mac yet keep getting permission denied issues (downloaded from app store). I've tried a variety of methods to solve it including typing sudochmod 777 -R etc in the terminal, unpack the mods with a different app, type chmod u+x etc in the terminal and the issue remains. After getting the launcher to at least start I still get:

ERROR Installing [Kivan of Shilmista], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 50 files for [KIVAN/SETUP-KIVAN.TP2] component 100.
    Uninstalled 50 files for [KIVAN/SETUP-KIVAN.TP2] component 100.
    ERROR: Failure("Unable to write to BGEE.SQL because: Sys_error(\"override/bgee.sql: Permission denied\")")

And the issue looks roughly the same regardless of what mod I am trying to install.

Help, pretty please? :smile:
  • CloudwulfeCloudwulfe Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone having difficulty running WeiDU these days? I'm guessing its because I upgraded to Sierra, but I can't quite figure it out. The mods I've all installed fine in the past, and they work on a PC version, so I don't understand why this is having issues.

Here's what I run into when I launch WeiDU with just a simple item mod: it attempts to install the mod (./setup-bbsw03) and then the next line is simply "Killed: 9." What is that? I gave WeiDU permissions in the security settings, but I don't know what else it could be. At a loss.
    mlnevese
  • AnilisAnilis Member Posts: 3
    Anilis said:

Hi all,

So it's time for another play-through of my fave game which also means I have to solve various mod issues before I can get started.

I have a list of mods I want to install, have the latest weidu launcher for mac yet keep getting permission denied issues (downloaded from app store). I've tried a variety of methods to solve it including typing sudochmod 777 -R etc in the terminal, unpack the mods with a different app, type chmod u+x etc in the terminal and the issue remains. After getting the launcher to at least start I still get:

ERROR Installing [Kivan of Shilmista], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 50 files for [KIVAN/SETUP-KIVAN.TP2] component 100.
    Uninstalled 50 files for [KIVAN/SETUP-KIVAN.TP2] component 100.
    ERROR: Failure("Unable to write to BGEE.SQL because: Sys_error(\"override/bgee.sql: Permission denied\")")

And the issue looks roughly the same regardless of what mod I am trying to install.

Help, pretty please? :smile:

Any help please? :(
  • JetoraJetora Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2017
    Just want to thank subtledoctor for this amazing Applescript.

I poured through pages and pages of information on getting mods to run on a mac, and had absolutely zero success - I just don't have the skills or knowledge needed. I'm a gamer, not a programmer! :p

But THIS app, combined with the instructions "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Installing Mods on OSX" (also on this forum) allowed me to install the one app that I absolutely needed, the Lighting Pack. Without that app the game was just too dark on my MacBook Pro screen to be enjoyable .. or even playable.

After discovering how easy it was to install apps with the Weidu Launcher - even on my GoG install! - I was able to add several more mods to make life more fun in BG II EE.

So THANK YOU and a big hug to all of y'all for helping native Mac users be able to take advantage of mods, and the modders too for creating these fun and helpful programs. And while I'm at it .. a big thanks to BeamDog for the enhanced versions of these beloved classics!
    [Deleted User]mlnevese
  • kissggkissgg Member Posts: 9
    @subtledoctor, could you please upgrade this launcher so that it also supports Planescape:Torment: Extended Edition?

I tried to run it with a mod for PST:EE, and I got these errors:
    WARNING: No rule to identify PSTEE

SKIPPING: [Modify PSTEE UI.Menu]
    	This mod requires PSTEE

SKIPPING: [Use PSTEE Bestiary Portraits for dialogue]
    	This mod requires PSTEE
  • devondevon Member Posts: 17
    it doesnt seem to be reading anything about seeing a mod - list is empty
  • jankmasterjankmaster Member Posts: 41
    I’ve tried asking in my own threads and received no answer and I can’t seem to find it, for the Mac Steam 2.3 edition, which permissions do I need to change to make this program work? I’ve set permissions to read and write everyone in the Library->application support->Steam folder and set apply to all enclosed with the steam folder (did not mess with library or app support) but I still get permissions deined.
    lefreut_Luke_AstroBryGuy
  • AxieAxie Member Posts: 23
    If someone could help me, that would be wonderful. Recently as I am totaly off Windows, I am playing on two macOS machines and today reinstalled BGEE/BGEEII as 2.5 came out.
    Now with some trial and error I managed to make BGEE work with Lefreut’s beautiful UI mods and to enable hidden options mod, too, all by downloading WeiDU-Mac-246 repository and using OSX WeiDU Launcher script.
    Though, I am not sure what I copied where (I copied a lot everywhere, and prayed for it to work) and it worked. But only for BGEE version!!!
    For BGEEII I cannot get Lef’s UI or other mods to work… Hell, thig is I cannot get WeiDU Launcher script to even start — it always gives me some long read-only error (and no, permissions ARE FINE, same as for first part).
    Please any good soul point me to some step by step guide or smth, because I really want to relax playing, not "hacking" my PC after horrible IRL week.
    Thanks to community anyway (and sorry you had to read this non-productive cry for help). Salute!
    script error text be like:
    cp: /private/var/folders/lk/h74qsyz17fvb1qqwq4trw7v40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/15AD8389-33D9-4441-8E25-EB76F1E7A05B/d/weidu: Read-only file system
    @Axie, @subtledoctor - This is Gatekeeper App Translocation (also known as Path Randomization). Unsigned apps are run from a temporary, random read-only file system to prevent dylib hijacking (by accessing external files based on relative location).

To stop App Translocation, do not execute the app in the location you unpacked the archive. Unpack in the archive in (for example) Downloads then move the app to the location you want to run it from.

http://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html
  • AxieAxie Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2018
    @subtledoctor I know, it looks insane, because whole "steamapps" folder incl. subfolders is set to read&write permission, I did it before I could run the script from BGEE folder, but this message came once I tried to do it from BGEE2 folder. That is what puzzled me.

@AstroBryGuy of course, I unpacked then moved (copied) to both folders where chitin.key file is and the very app (that is /Users/avebeli/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/BothBaldur'sGateFolders)

EDIT:
    It's insane, I tried side by side, with multiple reinstalls, and it is a bug I cannot reliably repeat -- but it does occur more than once -- three times! Twice on BG folder, once on BG2 folder. I am doing install/extract/copy/etc. of all material (game and mods) all the same, yet sometimes, it is bugged and most of the time it works fine.
    Post edited by Axie on
  • housmoushousmous Member Posts: 2
    If anyone is looking for the ACTUAL CORRECT LOCATION to install mods from on Mac OS X - here is what worked for me on Mojave (10.14.5).

Extract bg2fixpack contents to this folder:

"/Applications/Baldur's Gate 2 Complete.app/Contents/Resources/game/Baldur's Gate 2.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/GOG Games/Baldur's Gate 2"

Buried DEEP in the windows content... NOT THE OSX GAME FOLDER. The WINDOWS game folder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.