Skip to content

I've tried and tried but I'm just not all that into Pillars of Eternity

Comments

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited November 2016
    I really like it, but somehow it is less than the sum of its parts to me too. I think a lot of it for me is they just tried to make the game too epic. It's like each act has a new and not all that related storyline. Just arriving to find out the lord is insane and needing to depose him, or settling the animancy controversy could have been the main plot by themselves. That said the parts themselves are still good enough that I like the game, but I do have the strange feeling that it's just missing 'something' to make it a classic for me.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Dee said:

Where Pillars of Eternity fails, what I and a number of other people have argued, is that the starting premise for the game doesn't give the player motivation to keep going.

How to achieve player motivation to keep going? What elements should be fleshed out?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2016
    @Shandyr

You are setting up a strawman here. You are accusing people of criticising PoE for "not being exactly like Baldur's Gate" and for "being too different to Baldur's Gate". But if you had actually read what people where saying, the big criticism of PoE is that it's plot is unengaging and poorly paced. This isn't simply a matter of "perception". The reason we are here having this discussion now is that 16 years ago Baldur's Gate came out with an engaging well paced plot.

You are right, PoE does attempt to combine elements of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. But it actually falls short of ALL of them, not just Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate: We don't feel engaged in this Hero's Journey. There is a lack of personal involvement, there is no one to avenge, the world isn't in imminent danger, the villain doesn't care about the hero, and the threat to sanity doesn't feel real.

Icewind Dale: The combat isn't fun, and the music and art are bland.

Planescape: Torment: The game attempts to tackle the question "If god did not exist, would it be necessary to invent him?", but this is forgotten about for long stretches of the game, and it really isn't as interesting as "what can change the nature of a man?" anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2016
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'd say: cheers, people, there's no need for grudges when discussing favourite games.

Anyway, I feel that with last several comments this thread is quickly going off-topic.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Aaaaanyway....

@Ballad I totally agree with you that it's hard to get into the game. From what Shandyr said, it sounds like the later parts of the game are worth experiencing. So if it's something that matters to you, maybe it's worth struggling through the parts that aren't compelling.

For the record, I agree that BG2 does have pacing problems, but they appear as a result of having "too much stuff to do", as in you appear in a city you're meant to explore, given multiple opportunities for side quests that are all very interesting. But at no point are you left thinking "What is it I'm supposed to do to advance the plot?"

As for the main quest's urgency being artificial...eh. If that bothers you, then pretty much every game out there is going to bother you for the same reason. Skyrim, Zelda, Final Fantasy, The Witcher...Almost every game that features a story gives you a story hook, a sense of urgency, without punishing you for taking too long. It's the illusion of urgency that matters, not urgency itself. If Baldur's Gate 2's lack of urgency is jarring, that's not because false urgency is bad; it's because the false urgency in Baldur's Gate 2 was poorly implemented.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    Was there really a threat to your sanity in PoE ?

It's my second playthrough !
    I stopped the first one because I lost interest in the story, exactly as some of you explained here.

I bought white march recently so I gave it another shot.
    I forced myself to feel "hooked" to the story and I finished chapter 2 (I think ? That audience about animancy thing).
    I thought it was the perfect time to go to stalwart, from a rp perspective, so now i check what's going on in the white march.

But, I have to "force" myself to rp the game, the narration doesn't make it natural at all, and to me that's the real weakness of PoE, some days I don't have the energy to force myself to get inside a story so I just don't play
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2016
    @Shandyr

I said Baldur's Gate was well paced, not Baldur's Gate 2. I agree that there are some issues with BG2 pacing, but in that case, the strength of Irenicus as a villain compensates: you get the sense that if you don't go after him he will come after you.

Currently I'm enjoying playing Grim Dawn, I haven't played Baldur's Gate for a while, as I like to play a wide varity of different games. I can't bring myself to go back to PoE though, even though I bought the expansion pack and haven't touched it.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    my only real issue companions go is durance speaks so much in metaphors i can barely understand what he is saying.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited November 2016
    My excuse for not finishing PoE is a lot more trivial. My laptop is just so old that it overheats itself and shuts down after 5-10 minutes of playing :( It drives me nuts...
    Post edited by Cahir on
    Dee said:

Cahir said:

My excuse for not finishing PoE is a lot more trivial. My laptop is juwt so old that it overheats itself and shuts down after 5-10 minutes of playing :( It drives me nuts...

See? This is what I'm talking about. If the game were good enough, you'd be happy to sacrifice your computer to the cause of playing the game five minutes at a time!

(I kid, of course. ;))
    Funnily enough it does not behave like that when I play BGEE :p

I did play PoE a bit before my laptop started to go rogue and I wasn't hooked up either. I definitely will try it again when (if) I change my computer. Interestingly enough I like Wasteland 2 more (and that is why I can't wait for TToN).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I personally really like POE, but I have to admit that I have a bit of hard time staying engaged in the first chapter. I actually love showing up at the first town and finding out things are really bad there. The Keep mission to depose the ruler is one of my favorite quests in the game. There are at least 3 different ways to tackle with as many routes, and the finally fight is pretty brutal. My problem comes after that, getting the Stronghold is kinda boring and low stakes in comparison.
    edited November 2016
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited November 2016
    The reason I don't replay it is because it's a huge game and I don't want to invest that much into it, I can blast through games I replay more regularly much more quickly because I've got most of the stuff memorized - but when it first came out I went hard and beat it in 55 hours or so over the course of 3-5 days, they all blur together because I hardly slept. I didn't really have any complaints whatsoever. But then again I like most things because I choose to consciously overlook things that irritate me unless it's simply objectively too bad to have any fun lol. Except snakes, I draw the line at snakes.

I found the endless paths to be pretty neat honestly. Why is it there? Who knows (you find out)! It's so big it's go its own ecosystem! What could possibly be at the bottom? Does it have a bottom?

You find out all that. For something that was just a "gives us facebook likes" stretch goal + optional filler it was great. Some of the levels were pretty interesting as well + the art style in a lot of parts really got me going. I liked that the giant statue was cut through the whole thing. I don't know if playstyle influences one's enjoyment though - I know some people like to progress through it a little bit at a time - I waited until right before the end (durlag's tower style) and just did the whole thing in one go and really liked it.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I hear you bro, but...

My very first impression of Pillars was that it was too self-conscious of having made all that fan-money, and of being the "spiritual successor" of the first magnificence of PC gaming - Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Neverwinternights 2 etc.

I've taken Obsidian as a rigthly irrelevant and playful developer, always.

I missed that with Pillars, but hope they still have it.

This said: having had the Keep upon publishing, and having obviously had it upon later versions - I noticed keep featured including a big battle, because the fans were strongly hankering for more meaningful keep.

I think that was just great and responsive.

I cannot say I was that thrilled with PoE. but I think it is a matter of someone too self-conscious losing their charms by trying to have them.

I frankly do not mind having paid all of it, if Eternity 2 is a real Obsidian title!

By this I mean the charm, the humour, the subversion - and bringing Sand back as romanceable char, obviously! :wink:
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Maybe it's just me, but, in my experience:

Obsidian Entertainment = Clunky Crap Company

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    While playing PoE I couldn't shrug off the feeling some stuff were there just because "hey Baldur's Gate did that!" starting with using real time with pause. There's also the fact I played Divinity: Original Sin first and really liked it so I had a point of comparison in the "try to be old school RPG" category.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Some of the things people are saying on here chime entirely with my experience of the game.

I was looking forward to it, and I pre ordered it, and I played it, and.....

And I got to the tree with the people hanging from it and I stopped playing. There was no sudden bolt of lightening and a solemn declaration that 'I don't like this game. I'm not playing it again'. Just... that I stopped.

I found other things to do. When I had a bit of time to play a game, I loaded up something else. And as time went on, I became less and less interested in going back to it. And I havn't since, and if I'm honest, although I keep telling myself I will give it another go at some stage, I don't think I will.

And I don't know why. I havn't really thought about why I found the game disappointing - for me, it just was. And I don't worry about it, or fret, or look for answers. I just moved on.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I think the lack of the dnd license really hurts the game. They decided they could improve on too many things and a lot of the results end up feeling counterintuitive to DnD veterans. Things like engagement, the core abilities, monsters, etc can feel like odd choices.

They should not have tried to "reinvent the horse" . They should have just used pathfinder or openrpg or something and focused their efforts on story, playability, and other areas.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2016
    They had to start from scratch as well though. Designing the entire world and so on, unlike Forgotten Realms. That didn't help matters much, but overall I thought they did a decent job, although I agree with some of the criticism here.

I hope they do better with nr 2.

I actually did enjoy some of the stuff they did with the classes, particularly for Paladins and priests. Barbarian and fighter.. not so much. While I think Cipher is the most interesting.
    Post edited by batoor on
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2016
    I tried to rekindle my interest in PoE, to spark it anew in my memory, but it is gone... a hollow, dead thing.