Skip to content

Anybody Playing Tyranny?

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
Being currently a denizen of corporate America, I cannot try out the game; and even if I wanted to, my main boot drive is currently kaput so I am waiting on that issue being resolved before installing any new games. Regardless, I am curious if anyone has had the chance to give it a try yet, and form an opinion about it?

A couple of reviews I've glimpsed at seem to indicate two things that worry me:

1) combat seems to be rather repetitive and boring, many enemies feel very "samey".
2) companion NPCs don't seem to have "loyalty missions" or something of that sort, which seems to me to be a shame considering several appear to have a lot of depth.

I am looking forward to input from all of you :) Thanks.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Nope, still on the installing part. But I'm sure as hell will be playing in about half an hour! :)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Awesome! I'd love to hear what you think when you get around to it :)
    edited November 2016
    To tell the truth I thought the release was on November the 11th, not today. GOG launcher says it was released three hours ago. So your post was a helpful head-up for me as well. ;)
    Well, glad to hear I could be of some assistance in that regard! :D
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Varwulf said:

1) combat seems to be rather repetitive and boring, many enemies feel very "samey"

Ah, yes... the conquest... that was probably the longest and most frustrating character creation proccess I've seen since... ever! :/

Luckily there's a way to skip that one for a quick start.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Is it good should I get? Should I get it? I'm gonna get it!
    ...Should I? Is it good!?
    It is good from what little I could see. The battle is simplyfied when compared to PoE and there are far more choices to procceed the plot. It's not on the level of Planescape: Torment, but better than Pillars in that regard. Gotta love those fluffy beastfolks!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If the combat has the same flaws as PoE I will probbly not even finish it... But the GoG offer is too good to pass, maybe I'll like one of the other games :)
    edited November 2019
    @lefreut Yes, the conquest in itself is an interesting twist. But it is quite frustrating that there seems to be fixed outcomes in regard to certain battlefields. For instance, one cannot win the citadel fight and ends up reading the Edict either way one chooses. I've only burned through 13 character creations to find that one out. >_>

On a technical side, I didn't experience crashes so far. But it is occassionally really slow on my machine. Especially when booting and loading. Hopefully this will get fixed in a timely fashion.

Oh and on a side note, Tyranny uses the same portrait sizes as PoE. And the way of using custom portraits is also the same. So one can simply copy PoE's portrait folders into Tyranny's and have dozen of new portraits in an instant.
    edited November 2019
    mlnevese said:

If the combat has the same flaws as PoE I will probbly not even finish it... But the GoG offer is too good to pass, maybe I'll like one of the other games :)

Hmmm, what is this GoG offer you speak of? The 44K experience or...?
    edited November 2016
    @Varwulf Yeap... You get 3 free games buying Tyranny there:

Viktor Vran
    Dex
    Expeditions: Conquistador
    mlnevese said:

Viktor Vran
    Dex

Well then, I might find it impossible to resist now... :)
    Varwulf said:

mlnevese said:

Viktor Vran
    Dex

Well then, I might find it impossible to resist now... :)
    Now you understand me :)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited November 2016
    I got it yesterday because I didn't want the pre-order loot and I tend to avoid pre-ordering these days for various reasons. I spent a really long time in character generation, but didn't have time to finish it due to a test (wish they'd stop putting them in the evenings...) and so I canceled out. When I got back and started anew, I saw that I really would indeed not have had time to start up earlier when I got to the whole Conquest bit. If you love making characters, which it seems most IE players do, it's already a work of art. If you love TES style character molding via questionnaires, you'll also like it. And this isn't even the core gameplay.

Conversations are very IEish, probably more similar to Torment than BG. There's skill checks, nice voice acting and lengthy descriptions at times. Then we have reputation/faction gains tied in. And lots of loreish stuff with expandable tooltips.

The reactions of various NPCs and factions do really change a lot based on your choices from character generation and throughout the game. Quests become available, changed, failed or closed off based on decisions you make. So there's a lot of replay value I should think, from the story as much as different characters you can play.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the combat. The combat is similar to PoE, but it feels a lot more forgiving and less sticky. It's not needlessly complex, but it does require you to use your brain a bit. No different to the IE games or PoE in that regard.

I started playing around 20:00. Only managed to break away from the computer at 05 something through passing like 3 Willpower rolls I guess as I needed at least some sleep before the one lecture I had today.
    edited November 2016
    Just played enough to complete the first quest... I actually liked what I saw until now. If PoE Combat system has been modified to resemble Tyranny's I may even try it again...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    It has "You must gather your party before venturing forth." :D
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Just played through the character creation and the first area. Seems good so far.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Hey folks, can anyone comment on the following? Is it possible to play the game as a good PC? And I don't mean that in the sense of "anything is possible". I mean, can you have a meaningful and satisfying game experience playing good? Will you be limited to only one path or one character background or one set of choices? Will you just end up really frustrated? That sort of thing. Thanks in advance.
    edited November 2019
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2016
    I thought it would be cool to make Baldur's gate evil spin off.
    You could play with Irenicus, Bodhi, Saemon Havarian and Joshimo as your NPC companions and go on evil mischievous adventures along Forgotten realms.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Silverstar Good answer. In short, the game offers good choices but it's not a magical world of happiness.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    This one is playing Tyranny, and this one likes it. :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    mlnevese said:

Viktor Vran
    Dex

Is this offer still on?
  • cbarker15cbarker15 Member Posts: 38
    This game is great.. I like it a lot more than Pillars of Eternity.. the art style and the combat are better IMO.. The story is great so far.. I would recommend it to anyone who loves RPGs with choice and consequence.. I actually like the conquest part of character creation but it can be tedious.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I have no idea what Tyranny is. I am only posting here because every time I read this thread title, I read it as "Anybody Playing Tranny?"