Skip to content

Anybody Playing Tyranny?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Is this offer still on?

For another 22 hours.

More spesifically, when you buy games there during the current sale your profile gets "xp". There's 3 games to unlock with xp. You can get it for various small activities or from buying games, and buying Tyranny or similarily priced games pretty much gives you enough xp to unlock these 3 other games.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @SharGuidesMyHand for 22 hours and 12 minutes...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @Silverstar thank you. That was very illuminating and useful. I know the premise of the game is that the game world is dominated by evil and that cannot be changed. I was curious about whether the PC can make choices that meaningfully make that evil world less bad. Your expose helped a lot in that regard.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

From what I've seen on YT, the portraits/artwork are already a HUGE improvement over PoE. I think the makers of PoE underestimated how crucial "little" things, like art style, are to bringing characters to life in an RPG.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    lefreut said:

the very long loading time

From what I've seen on YT, the portraits/artwork are already a HUGE improvement over PoE. I think the makers of PoE underestimated how crucial "little" things, like art style, are to bringing characters to life in an RPG.

That's right.
    And they still do. But they are going places now. Could learn something.
    Unbearably, Obsidian might even manage to release a noteworthy title before all their employees die of old age :expressionless:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    BTW, here're several portraits from Tyranny:

God said:

lefreut said:

the very long loading time

That's right.
    And they still do. But they are going places now. Could learn something.
    Unbearably, Obsidian might even manage to release a noteworthy title before all their employees die of old age :expressionless:
    Hey @God no spoilers about the future! Next you'll say Bethesda will eventually release a game without any serious bugs...
    edited November 2016
    ... huh. It hadn't actually dawned on me that this is an Obsidian game. I mean, I did know but... Obsidian games tend to be great but buggy. I see mention of crashes in this thread, but I myself haven't had a single crash or noticed any bugs. That's unprecedented. Am I in an alternate universe or something?
    Post edited by Silverstar on
    @Silverstar It's simple to know... try to run Skyrim or Fallout 3 or later... If you have no graphics glitch in half an hour then the answer is yes.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I snatched it up myself thanks to the GoG sale lol.

I'm really pleased with it - I was *really* surprised at just how much you can talk to your first few companions, and at how quickly they entered the stage as it were. I'm pleased at about 5-6 hours in. Very happy.

I *did* get a crash, but I think it was just my 6 year old PC being finnicky with the first time running new software because it hasn't had a problem since lol.

My only gripe is that the camera angle seems weird to me somehow, but maybe my eyes are going :/

Am I an alternate universe or something?

Why, of course :smirk:
    I will make Terratus great again!

I stumbled upon this artwork. A rather nice portrait for a female aligned with the Scarlet Chorus crowd, which happens to be what I'll be giving a try in a minute. Hopefully, no game breaking bugs this research session :sweat:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2016
    I really like the story and setting but I think the combat needs more diverse encounters.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I've come across plenty of people who have lived all their life in this universe but still manage to remain blissfully oblivious .
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If we're talking universe then mankind as a whole is oblivious.
    edited November 2016
    Universe, world, country, town, street. Doesn't make much difference.

The only person who knows what is going on in this house is Herbie, and he can't tell me on account of being a cat.
    Fardragon said:

I've come across plenty of people who have lived all their life in this universe but still manage to remain blissfully oblivious .

If we're talking universe then mankind as a whole is oblivious.

Yeah, but that's not intended. My teaching comes from experience, you know :lol:
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I heard that the United states government has been secretly playing it for a few years now.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks like there's now a Tyranny nexus section. Currently there's mainly portrait packs, but I also found this nifty looking custom banner pack with 50 additional banners to choose from for the character creation. Good to see the start of yet another modding scene. :)

Looks like there's now a Tyranny nexus section. Currently there's mainly portrait packs, but I also found this nifty looking custom banner pack with 50 additional banners to choose from for the character creation. Good to see the start of yet another modding scene. :)

Banners are as easy to make as portraits. All you need is some white line art with a transparent background placed in the banner folder.

I really hate to break it to you, but don't get your hopes up for Tyranny mods. At least not anytime soon. Unity Engine is designed with naïve asset protection rather than openness and extensibility in mind. The game's files are such an awful mess I lack the inclination to even figure out how to find and replace those awful default soundsets, playing with a mute character instead.

And, boy, does this game beg for a Vhailor soundset :sweat:
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Has anybody read the shorts ?

I don't get the ending of epistolary of song and stone
    So Sirin send the letters in the end, and didn't burn them ? Who's the recipient ?

Haven't met her yet ingame, so I might miss some pieces to the story.

Instead of progressing with my Unfavored leaning male, I started a parallel playthru on the site of Nerat :#
    edited November 2016
    Yamcha said:

So Sirin send the letters in the end, and didn't burn them ? Who's the recipient ?

Haven't met her yet ingame, so I might miss some pieces to the story.

I haven't explored all alliance options yet, but it appears dialogue with Sirin is almost non-existent, as if she were a last-minute addition. Even the beastwoman seems to have more interactions. Which is a shame; in this one-trick-pony roster composing of a reckless brigand, a naïve fanboy, a bitchy cougar, a geriatric nerd, a repulsive beast and a teenage popstar, Sirin is at least remotely likeable :neutral:
    Post edited by God on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2016
    God said:

One example of this is that Tyranny's protagonist is assuredly a learned lawyer, and yet starts with nearly non-existent awareness of Kyros' laws.

Guess it depends on what kind of character you play. I focused on lore and I noticed more than a few cases where I was able to bring up an existing law and point out an alternative. That said, you are correct in that the role of the fatebinder doesn't really lend itself to any kind of character (you are expected to be aware of Kyros's laws).
    I haven't played Tyranny yet, but I hope it's not as bad as KotOR2, where there was a huge amount of information that the protagonist was aware of that the player wasn't.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This game sounds interesting to me for the lore, character development, and combat, but it sounds like you have to play evil, and I can't stomach that, even in a game. I think they may have made a mistake by alienating a big percentage of their potential player base with that decision.