Skip to content

What's your favorite spell?

SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hello!

I'm just curious what everyones favorite spell is, it can be for any class doesn't matter

I'd have to go with Chromatic Orb.

Comments

• LokizarroLokizarro Member Posts: 6
    Solobear said:

Hello!

I'm just curious what everyones favorite spell is, it can be for any class doesn't matter

I'd have to go with Chromatic Orb.

If we're talking STRICTLY about BG1, then it's between Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt, Melf's Acid Arrow or Fire Arrow for me, pretty tough to choose...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I've always been partial to skulltrap... I just like the animation of a disembodied floating skull, ready to do my bidding. Oh, and the explodey sound it makes when enemies encounter it is just neat!
  • JomeroJomero Member Posts: 6
    As much as it was a pain to cast without injuring party members, I have to go with fireball.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    probably the chromatic orb at the level when it turns people into ghosts in bg2.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @ramagons i believe that is level 12 they have to make a save or die ( +6 bonus for them, eeeew :) ) i would say cloudkill/emotion hopelessness was my favourite spell(s) in bg 1 love having baddies sleep in a gas cloud of doom :)
  • EquiptoEquipto Member Posts: 6
    Magic Missile for sure
  • BrandtCPBrandtCP Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Definately Magic Missile. It's the PnP standby as well when I used to play. Fireball is a close second, but the AoE means you had to be careful lest you get the dreaded 'Helen Keller' award at the Con for casting it in close quarters.
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    Skull Trap in Baldur's Gate. Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting in Baldur's Gate 2. Geas/Quest in D&D in general.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Only going to address spell level 1-5 here.

For sheer fun I love Ghoul Touch. The animation is great. And it's just very satisfying to go to town on enemies stunned by this spell. (I like Color Spray almost as much for the spell effect, and watching enemies collapse into a heap from it. But it's often difficult to avoid friendly fire with this spell.)

I guess I would have to rate the Charm spell (and it's higher level variations) as probably the most effective spell at low level overall. Because you can take out not one but two enemies with it. I have the Charmed enemy attack another enemy, tying up his comrade in combat against his former comrade. Then, as insurance, I have the Charmed enemy place his inventory on the ground. Next, if a spellcaster, I have the Charmed enemy exhaust his or her spells. While the two enemies are fighting against one another, they are defenseless against my party's attacks (other than whatever buffs they might have). Rinse and repeat with more enemies.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Hard question. I really like Mirror Image. It's fun. *Vwump* "Haha! Which one is the real me!?"
  • TomokoTomoko Member Posts: 13
    I know it's a weird one but I always liked me some Clairvoyance. Hated seeing little shadows of impossible to explore areas of the map...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    YES! I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that! Hahaha~ I also used it to scout ahead, which was annoying at times because I had to wait to save if it revealed bad guys.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Fireball in bg1. Finger of death in bg2
  • SerephSereph Member Posts: 23
    I'm glad to see mirror image on here, its definitely my favorite as well. Most used is probably magic missile though. OH, stoneskin. stoneskin times infinity.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Ruby Ray of Reversal and Breach and any magic buff stripping spell in general.

Effing mages thinking they can go invincible with their magicks! I say fie to thee.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Call Woodland Being, because nymphs make great substitute clerics.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    bg1: Fireball
    bg2: Timestop (I have fighter/mage and timestop gives me free whacking!)
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    My favorite is Abi-dalzim's horrid wilting, I like the animation and it's almost cheesy, it doesn't even hurt party members :)
    For bg1 only, magic missile is the only reason my mage soloing is alive
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    In BG1:

Favorite Mage spell: Skull Trap (cool animation and it works on pretty much anything that isn't resistant to magic)
    Favorite Priest spell: Command (casts quickly and allows you to get in a full party's worth of damage in one round)
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited September 2012
    Can't pick just one

Haste AND Mirror Image - just so cool and useful in BG
    Post edited by Gloomfrost on
  • NiphireNiphire Member Posts: 15
    FIREBAAAAAAALL!
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Charm and Dire Charm, as I usually play illusionist and seeing the red circle turn to green when you have cast the spell at a high level makes you feel epic haha.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    No love for Find Familiar? I bet every mage here... Admit to it or not guys and gals.... I KNOW that you cast that spell as soon as you get it!

Then use the same page of the spellbook you wrote it on to wipe your arse with...

My real fave spell: Invisibilty... Look guys I'm naked and you'll never know! *Horrified Gasp from crowd, lady faints* Always check you have cast it first before scouting ahead... especially if naked!
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Insect Swarm and Otilukes Sphere... probably the two most overpowered spells in the arsenal.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I think colour spray was my most used spell. And the animation is cool!

Of course there is also that fireball one... a true classic.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited September 2012
    Chromatic Orb in BG was something amazing. For being so low level, it was much better than many other higher level spells. Magi missile is always good too, even at high levels.
    In BG2, Necromancy rulez big time: Finger of Death, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Wail of the Banshee.... you pick!
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    Flesh to Stone.
    Such a bad ass spell, the satisfaction of watching them shatter (permanent death) is just too great ;)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Anduin thats my favourite spell to cast on my fighter in bg 2 :) i love the extra hp