Skip to content

Does anybody know how the engine finds "living actors"?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
There is a spell target type - "Living actor." Usually it means creatures, but it includes containers and doors. Knock has this as its target type, and Knock has to be let loose at a container or door. However, area-of-effect Knock does not work, which is unfortunate for the mod that I'm making. Creatures in the area get "knocked" with a visual and a message (only that does nothing), and locks remain locked. Does anyone understand how the engine defines "living actors" or what makes a valid object for that targeting?

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    For an area of effect ability, the ability target only controls how & where the spell is cast, not what it affects.
    It's projectile controls what it affects - whatever projectile you are using is setup to only target creatures. The second bit at offset 0x200, "Triggered by inanimates", controls whether or not an area effect projectile affects objects.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I will check this out.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Yes! It worked! You get a prominent place in the credits for this, kjeron, and I have my last function - the lock-picking simulation for NPC! It will be just like in Fallout, where a companion runs up and says "Let me handle that for you." Well, it will be similar enough. :smiley: