Skip to content

Making Call Lightning more useful.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
I am thinking of modding Call Lightning to remove the 'outdoors only' flag so that it can be used anywhere. I think this would be an awesome boon to poor druids and the less useful spellbook they have. The problem is that I am worried that removing this restriction will make the spell too powerful. Compared to Flame Strike it would be doing 2d8 more points of damage AND hitting multiple times. How would I re-balance the spell to accommodate this change? I was thinking of one of the following options:

2d6 + 1d6/level damage

1d6/level damage

2d8 + 1d4/level damage

Should I use one of those options? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    You could do it NWN style. 1d6/level up to 10d6, save vs. spell for half.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Can you make it so that it does less damage when used inside (like half damage) instead of removing the flag completely?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I have finished making the mod and have posted it in the Tresset's Choice Tweaks thread. I would still be happy to hear any feedback on this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Why not just port over IWDEE's Static Charge for indoor use?

Simple: I don't own IWD:EE
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Tresset said:

I am thinking of modding Call Lightning to remove the 'outdoors only' flag so that it can be used anywhere.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

My suggestion is to mod it as working also indoor, but don't change his damage.
    I know that a lighting from the sky has no sense if not outdoor, but this is the behavior of all the other spells that are supposed to happen/come from sky. Not only flamestrike, let's think of comet and meteor swarm, a comet that hits in the lower level of WK should collapse and destroy the whole fortress and in underdark would probably destroy a wide area of the above region and cause an earthquake in the point where you target it, not fire damage.

@gorgonzola That... Is actually a very good point. I still think this would make call lightning extremely OP for a level 3 spell though. If you would like I could provide a file modified as such just for you. I am not going to use it myself though. Normally I don't like nerfing things but I just had to make an exception in this case.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I really appreciate but no thanks, I don't need it. I was talking from the logic point of view, if a comet can happen indoor why a lighting can not? But if I factor in how the spell is OP for his level trading power for use in any situation is fine.
    I actually like how the spell is implemented in the vanilla game, druids take their powers from wild nature and indoor i find logical that their power is reduced, they are somehow shielded from direct contact with nature, outdoors even in a city they are more close to their source of power, as the FR cities are not as large and artificial as our metropolis. And this is referred to my own way to RP a druid, I still think that your idea is good, and probably I'll give it a try, but the nerfed version is fine for it.

But instead you can let choose everybody making 2 choices when your tweaks are installed, nerfed damage and not nerfed. Because the full damage version can be useful for who wants to solo a druid and can be a reason to try the class for those who fail to see its true power, there will be more druid charnames than now.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    edited November 2016

Tresset said:

Why not just port over IWDEE's Static Charge for indoor use?

Simple: I don't own IWD:EE
    You should get it. It's great.
    haha salesman i said :D look @Gallowglass
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I see what you mean, @Danacm.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In Ps:T you can cast that indoors . It's a lot of fun!