Skip to content

News about french translation and german translation?

On twitter, trent oster had said before the launch
"We're not going to localize for launch. We will be rolling the localized versions after as we complete them."
This game is relased since more than 6 months and no info about translation in other languages.

I would like to know if a translation is always planned.
Thanks.

Comments

• AbathornAbathorn Member Posts: 17
    I am also interested in knowing this. These games have a lot of text so many people would be glad if it was translated.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm sure that Beamdog would affirm that it's always been their plan to issue translations for major markets such as French and German.

However, "a lot of text" means a lot of translation work, and it's being done by volunteer teams working in their spare time (not by paid full-time translators), so it's a rather slow process.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2016

Gallowglass is correct. The localizations are happening on a volunteer basis. We simply don't have the manpower to manage the outsourcing for the languages at this point.

Thanks but have you volunteer team to work on french translation of SOD?

BG1 and 2 was available in full french (voice + text) at the relase in 98 and 2000. BG1EE is not still in full french. BGEE 2 is not still even with french subtitles. This add-on is only available in english. It's a little disappointed for the entire french community (I think it's the same for german and other community ) even if I undertsand that it cost much money.

Why not make a crowfunding campaign for translation in french, german etc (support of EFIGS maybe)? Some have make crowfunding campaign for english translation of some visual novel in japanese with success.

The problem is that if you make BG3, a BG3 only in english would be a disaster.
  • StarhowlStarhowl Member Posts: 39
    I am very disappointed about the lack of a French translation, too. I think you should be putting more work into this!
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Starhowl said:

I am very disappointed about the lack of a French translation, too. I think you should be putting more work into this!

Except they shouldn't.
    They should be putting work into improving the game and fixing bugs, which is what they are doing.

Learn english, it's not hard.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The localizations are still happening on a volunteer basis. @Starhowl The Translation lead for French is @Isaya , so if they consider it appropriate they can share the current status of the SoD French translation.
  • true78true78 Member Posts: 4
    Hello! Can you tell me who to contact to fix some languages ​​for the Nintendo Switch version? At a minimum, Polish and Russian do not work.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The console version of these games doesn't have SoD translated into those languages.