Skip to content

Where to put conditions and timers instead of baldur.bcs?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
I have a good number of triggers and timers in the mod that I'm making, with various globals set and so on. They have to do with the party as a whole, not to any particular NPC or area, and may apply at any time. I'd rather avoid putting them all in baldur.bcs, if I can. Any other option for a script that would always accompany the party and react instantly? By the way, what is baldur25.bcs?

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Not really, that's pretty much the only script that can't be suppressed in any way.

I *think* that DEFAULT slot is now always on and unaffected by on/off party AI switch, so you could use DPLAYER2/3 as well. It can still get deactivated if party member is stunned/paralyzed, though, so may or may not work for you, depending on specifics of the task.

25 is an internal designation for ToB (aka Baldur's Gate 2,5).
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Aha. Another useful bit of advice from you. :) I guess I'll need to have a look at the default slot. I could put identical scripts there for all party members. The chance of all of them getting stunned just when a timer needs to be set is next to none. But if default for PCs is unaffected by the on-off button and always active, doesn't that mean that party characters don't normally have any scripts in that slot? Where do their scripts reside in, then?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Party members keep only the override script when they join, the rest gets wiped out. Class slot gets set to combat AI script, and default slot is set to dplayer2. It's a "technical" utility script, so I don't recommend overwriting it with another, only appending with extra blocks.

That said, if you don't have any local variables, then baldur.bcs is fine. The "don't touch baldur.bcs" rule is not so much about the script itself, but rather to keep low the amount of always-on scripting. If that's impossible to avoid, then it doesn't really matter where you put it.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I guess you are right. I'm just trying to minimize the performance load.
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    Ardanis said:

Not really, that's pretty much the only script that can't be suppressed in any way.

I *think* that DEFAULT slot is now always on and unaffected by on/off party AI switch, so you could use DPLAYER2/3 as well. It can still get deactivated if party member is stunned/paralyzed, though, so may or may not work for you, depending on specifics of the task.

25 is an internal designation for ToB (aka Baldur's Gate 2,5).

@Ardanis, this is not the case, at least not in BG2:EE latest patch. DPLAYER2.BCS doesn't work when AI is off :'(