Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited November 2016
    Here is a useful post about how to fix messed-up text on the worldmap if you are using using saved games from other installations.

As you can see, the saved game keeps its own copy of the worldmap.wmp file, which gets updated as you progress and reveal new areas, but which also contains string references ("strrefs") that point to lines in the global text file (dialog.tlk), which depend on the order in which text is added by various mods. The suggested workaround is to replace that worldmap file with a new one generated by creating a new character and a new saved game on the target installation. The map in that new saved game will have strrefs pointing to the correct lines in dialog.tlk but it will only have a few areas revealed (the ones that are always visible at the start of a new game). This is not a perfect solution because some mod areas are revealed by scripts that run only once, so you would never be able to re-discover those areas, but then again, if you finished that mod's content already then you might not care.

It's still safer to start anew when you change your installation, but this is an example of how with proper know-how you can work around the issues that may arise.
    Canes
  • CanesCanes Member Posts: 29
    Well, I'm mostly at the end of Baldur's Gate I and don't think it matters much now. But you've been a ton of help and I can't thank you enough. I will go into Baldur's Gate II with a more clear understanding on how to safely mod it and play.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    This is great new, but I tried out BWS with EET and the mod warning said it was still in pre-release stage. is this intended?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Yes, EET is not officially released yet, it aims at near flawless official release. The mod is already playable with no more issues than any game.
  • SchmittLeninSchmittLenin Member Posts: 4
    I'm really sorry but is the "BWS Tactical" option compatible with EET? I assumed at first it would be considering you can take it while selecting EET as the game, but I'm not so sure anymore and I wouldn't want to miss that enhanced trilogy for a couple of flavor mods...
    edited December 2016
    All of the mods shown by BWS when you provide both a BG1EE and BG2EE folder (imply an EET installation) are believed to be compatible (minimally, they should all install without errors) but there have not, to date, been reports of successfully completed games of EET using a BWS tactical installation (not surprising considering how much content that is - it takes weeks/months/years to play through the entire game depending on how much you pursue the added content, and BWS has only been supporting EET for a few days now).

There has been one bug report yesterday by a user with a Polish tactical installation: when entering the worldmap, the game crashes; I can't reproduce the issue using the same worldmap but with my English installation, so it's probably an issue related to the Polish translation, and I've given the user instructions on how to track down the mod responsible. Update: The issue has been traced to the Reunion mod and a patch has been created so it should not be a problem for future installs.

If you want to avoid as many potential problems as possible, the Recommended selection is safest. In any case, if you run into issues, we will help you troubleshoot them.

I would suggest that even if you want some tactical content, you start from the Recommended selection and then manually add other mods; the tactical pre-selection is basically "everything you can add to the game, that doesn't have known problems at the moment, with increased difficulty wherever possible."
    Post edited by agb1 on
    Well that's already more than I was hoping for to be perfectly honest. I'll do a Recommanded EET install and just continue playing Tactical on my non-EET game. Thank you for your help!
    Sure. Just in case it wasn't clear, when I suggested above that you "manually add" to the Recommended selection, I meant "manually select in BWS, before starting the install, any tactical mods/components you want" ... I did not mean "install tactical mods/components manually (outside of BWS) after BWS is finished." The point being that Recommended is a good baseline and you can then augment it to your taste.
    edited December 2016
    Well that's even better. I thought it'd take me a few weeks to install stuff but instead it will be just a few days.
    EDIT : By the way, do I need to manually download the patches from the GitHub to install certain mods on EET?
    No, BWS takes care of all patching. Just give it the original mod packages, or let it download them for you (since sometimes even the "official" release pages are outdated and the latest is hiding in some forum post).
    Is there something that tool doesn't do? I mean damn I basically have no work...
    ALIEN
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    edited December 2016
    First off, thanks a lot for all your work @agb1, the BWS is an awesome project and I'm really grateful you and the others work so hard for the community.

Edit: Should have checked the SR forums before askign stupid questions here.

Keep up the good work!

Two questions regarding SCS;

1) All of the BG1 components are marked expert with the note that they require tp2 patching, I assume that “patching” is still done by the BWS via fixpack and so on or do I have to do anything myself?
    2) There is a special SCS spell revisions version which is already patched for EET and has some compatibility fixes regarding SR; is there a good way to make BWS use that version over the normal one? (I tried switching them out but that led to a failed install due to missing lib files, will try to put it in the BWS override but I fear the result might be the same).

#1 - those SCS components being marked expert in BWS is an old status that has not been revisited for a while ... I think that with the latest patches that are now applied automatically by BWS, all of those are working now

#2 - if you select both SCS and Spell Revisions, the appropriate patches (all of kreso's "revised SCS for SR" changes) will be applied automatically. Don't overwrite any files manually. No need.
    Aye, I ran into a new problem though. After EET_END finished BWS is complaining about a missing mod named Nightfarer's Area Patcher.
    ##### Nightfarer's Area Patcher #####
    The mod was not found.
    After the mod is present, the install may be started another time.
    Enter [r]etry, [c]ontinue or [e]xit.
    It isn't in my BWS download folder either and I can't even seem to find that mod via google.
    I assume the mod isn't that critical though since it comes after EET_END and my isntallation should be fine without it?
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it's not critical. My mistake however - I just added it for EE earlier today, and left out a line to copy it over. This has now been corrected for future installs.

If you move the Area_Patcher folder from Big World Fixpack\_Area_Patcher (take the folder inside, without the _ prefix) to your BG2EE folder and then copy weidu.exe and name it setup-area_patcher.exe, you can run that manually to install a couple of relevant patches. Or, if you are still paused in BWS at that point, you can just 'r'etry after putting the Area_Patcher folder in the BG2EE folder.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270

Is there something that tool doesn't do? I mean damn I basically have no work...

This made my day :)

The only thing you need to do is using modmerge in case of BG+SoD from Steam or GoG.
  • AmeerHMAmeerHM Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2016
    This tool has changed my life.

I had a couple of questions though. Is the world map meant to look like this or have I done something wrong? http://puu.sh/sJmSM/7ecfab4c13.jpg

Also, is it safe to start a new game, post-BWP installation?

Edit: I think I answered my own quest, starting a new game (just to check the map) revealed this: http://puu.sh/sJmYB/30ead9607a.jpg. I'm gonna assume it's required to start a new game then. :P
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Hi, I placed BiG World Fixpack along with mod exe in game folder, but when I click _ApplyPatches.bat, a black windows appears briefly then disappeared, nothing happened, what should I do?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2016
    @AmeerHM Yes, you have to start new game, read FAQ if you want to know why.

Hi, I placed BiG World Fixpack along with mod exe in game folder, but when I click _ApplyPatches.bat, a black windows appears briefly then disappeared, nothing happened, what should I do?

@islandking First of all, you shouldn't do this. BWS executing this for you. Second, I've just fixed oversight in _ApplyPatches.bat and _CreatePatches.bat - it will always start inside script directory.
    @ALIEN For some reason BWS prompts me to install some mods I'm currently not planning to use(Huple NPC in bgee, many others in bg2ee, BWS says they are in need of...), so what I do is to manually install mods following the BWS suggested install order(snap a pic in "View in install order/pdf").

.bat still won't work for me, but after I put the lastest weidu.exe (didn't change the name) in game folder, .bat can proceed.
    @islandking That was an oversight - I left WeiDU.exe out of the package (needed for manual installs). I've added it to the package now. Thanks for reporting the problem.

As for being prompted to install mods you don't want, can you provide a screenshot of the conflicts resolution tab when this occurs? What happens if, on that conflicts tab, you right-click on the mods you don't want and choose "remove this mod" or alternatively "ignore this problem"?
  • A6MZeroA6MZero Member Posts: 3
    So, newbie to BG modding here; been trying to use this fantastic-looking tool to install the EET and the basic "recommended" mod set. However, once I've went through the whole installation process I open the game and just get the normal game, no EET. I've tried twice now (restored to backup and wiped the first attempt), and same both times.

Before I continue trying to get it to work, I wanted to check something obvious; does this tool download and install the EET, or just add mods on top of it? 'Cause if you have to have EET already installed, then that would explain where I'm going wrong :/
    Are you starting Baldur.exe in your BG2EE folder? BG1:EE is only a source of content; EET imports everything into BG2EE to create a single continuous game.
  • A6MZeroA6MZero Member Posts: 3
    I've been using the .exe from the BG2EE folder, but just got the default BG2 menu. Originally I'd tried to use the independent installation feature and the .exe from that folder, but when that didn't work I tried it the normal way.
    @islandking - thanks for reporting that. There was in fact a mistake in the dependency rules, now corrected. As a bonus, Nightfarer's Item Patcher is now available for BG2EE/EET as well.
    A6MZero said:

I've been using the .exe from the BG2EE folder, but just got the default BG2 menu. Originally I'd tried to use the independent installation feature and the .exe from that folder, but when that didn't work I tried it the normal way.

Did you provide the path for your BG1EE folder in addition to the BG2EE folder? If you left the BG1EE folder path as "-" then BWS only installs BG2EE mods and does not install EET.

If you upload the "BiG World Upload.7z" log archive from your BG2EE game folder, I can take a look.
    @agb1 thanks, worked out fine!
    agb1