Skip to content

I Hate Bears!

2»

Comments

• islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    @Tresset If you hate vanilla bears, you will love SCS bears, they run at 4x speed with more persistency
    :-D
    GodCrevsDaak
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    And rightly so!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • stealthmodestealthmode Member Posts: 22
    Bears aren't so bad. Full party using ranged weapons, they are usually dead by the time they get to melee. 3 sling users. Imoen with the +1 shortbow, Khalid with the heavy crossbow, and my ranger with the +1 composite longbow 18/95 str and 19 dex. Even polar bears get eaten in the random ambush encounter travelling between maps.

Now some of those poison mobs though. Ankhegs, and sirines especially. They seem to have a poison that procs faster than anything in game. Before I can get a neutralize poison, or antidote potion off, one of my characters has had 2 to 3 ticks of poison DoT chewing their hp up. For me this is the pita. Poor zxar has been one shot so many times from this, I'm sure he hates me. But ankhegs are a good way to farm gold with my ranger carrying 3 ankheg parts at a time to beregost for 500gp each. It's zxars fault. Those dang magic missles at lvl 5 shooting 3 at once, he makes them very angry.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @stealthmode ah but straight out of Candlekeep...
    edited November 2016
    Straight out of candlekeep I ran to zxar and montoran, then ran straight to the inn and grabbed jaheira, and khalid. If I was going to die, I wasn't going to die alone. LoL. To my surprise, after adding the full party, things died before they could get in major hits. Then I started farming the non storyline areas. Things change once you add Jaheiras heals in combat. Only character I've replaced was montoran. Killed him off to add the cleric that was stuck in stone in the carnival map. Jaheiras druid heals + the new cleric heals + ranger clw abilities allowed me to just wreck the game, till I realized beamdog isn't a very good developer.

Eventually ( 168 days at time of uninstall ) got to where I was talking about in the post above. Before uninstalling, and requesting a refund today because beamdog alienates some platforms when they announce that they've made updates, which in fact, they have not.

edited November 2016
    I always clear evey map when I first come to it, and I don't pick up any party members until I get to FAI.

*EDIT* They never announced an update for Android.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

... allowed me to just wreck the game ...

Roflmao! From your own description, you'd barely got a third of the way through before you gave up, and had spent most of your time just clearing the low-level trash mobs. As a complete beginner who clearly hadn't yet understood the mechanics, making poor choices of companions and weapons and proficiencies and spells and everything, you weren't likely to "wreck the game", indeed you'd probably have been dying a lot if you'd continued much further into the main plot without developing much better skills.

But no matter, you've given up and uninstalled, so I don't suppose you'll ever find out what you were missing.

... allowed me to just wreck the game ...

Roflmao! From your own description, you'd barely got a third of the way through before you gave up, and had spent most of your time just clearing the low-level trash mobs. As a complete beginner who clearly hadn't yet understood the mechanics, making poor choices of companions and weapons and proficiencies and spells and everything, you weren't likely to "wreck the game", indeed you'd probably have been dying a lot if you'd continued much further into the main plot without developing much better skills.

But no matter, you've given up and uninstalled, so I don't suppose you'll ever find out what you were missing.
    I actually beat the original game on PC in 1998. And continue to play the original game on PC using an emulator today.

And I chose to do what I could with a limited version on android. Android doesn't allow for custom rolled npc/pc. So I took the shitty proficiency weapons, and replaced them with better damage weapons. Fighters would prefer a 2 hander over a long sword any day. But your argument is moot. Just a personal attack cause you disagree with me, do you beat your wife and kids too?
    edited November 2016
    ThacoBell said:

I always clear evey map when I first come to it, and I don't pick up any party members until I get to FAI.

*EDIT* They never announced an update for Android.

They announced version 2.3 update released for all games. So yeah they did. They ignored people asking about other than PC platforms. Cause they know they were wrong. Fact is, the app is being pulled from play store soon because of the fraudulent claims this developer had made. They don't support android platform. Haven't since 2015. Been neglecting to make updates for that platform since then. While making four or five updates for ONE platform. Fact is they are only focusing on PC updates. You can believe the v2.4 multiplatform difficulties excuse if you want to. Truth is, if they were being truthful other platforms would've seen v2.0, 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 long before this "oh we can't release v2.4 cause we are having multiplatform compatibility difficulties" excuse.

But by all means, keep drinking the koolaid.
    Loldrup
    edited November 2016
    Nothing constructive here, move along.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Enough! Back on topic people! I made this to be a fun thread and not an argument about Beamdog. I suggest that people here take a break and read the site rules before continuing. Remember to be excellent to each other! Personal insults are not "excellent"!
    GodCrevsDaak

So, where is that epic level mage?
    ronaldoCrevsDaak
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    Oh god. Paragon Bear...

Hilarious story from one of my PnP sessions: Sorceror sees massive shark in water. Being the arrogant show off he is, he casts Disintegrate on it (he just got to level 12 and HAD to show off). The massive shark happened to be a Paragon (3.x Edition) shark, and one of their special abilities was to reflect beam type spells. Sorceror turns into dust. And since he was in the crow's nest at the time, the wind took his dust and scattered them to sea.

Yeah. They had a hell of a time trying to get him True Ressurected.

In short, do NOT mess with Nature's beauties. They will bite you back. Or hug you to death in the case of a bear.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
    Considering the crazy things bears have done/survived in real life, it really is fantasy that these things are ever killed with anything short of magic or a war party in these games.
    CrevsDaak
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Considering how strong our characters become, I think we (eventually) classify as a magical war party. Though we do eventually get a bear of our own, and can return all the bear-related failures we've encountered upon our enemies. Always a glorious thing to do.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Though we do eventually get a bear of our own, and can return all the bear-related failures we've encountered upon our enemies. Always a glorious thing to do.

That's an Enhanced Edition bearster egg. Vanilla is not so generous.

On BGT, whenever my party encounters bears, my high elven mage's AI script automatically attempts to get a Time Stop going, and one can only hope that it lasts long enough to finish casting a protective mythal. More often than not, however, one of the bears will somehow instantly reposition itself just next to the caster, make a successful attack of opportunity (which always lands regardless of the elf's base -10AC) disrupting the spell and the party is basically done for :sweat:
    CrevsDaak
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited November 2016
    God said:

More often than not, however, one of the bears will somehow instantly reposition itself just next to the caster, make a successful attack of opportunity.

Blink Bears... gods, what will they sic on us next?

ThacoBellGallowglassCrevsDaak
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

God said:

More often than not, however, one of the bears will somehow instantly reposition itself just next to the caster, make a successful attack of opportunity.

Blink Bears... gods, what will they sic on us next?

My bet's on practitioners of ursine lichdom. But it could also be flying bears. Better have Jan build some flak cannons just in case :lol:
    CrevsDaak
  • SirBundlesofJoy_1912SirBundlesofJoy_1912 Member Posts: 57
    edited December 2016
    I don't like the bears or any other animals in the game, like wolves and such. The reason? I absolutely love animals, and it breaks my heart to have to kill them. It doesn't matter that they are just in a game.

If I see a bear, I try to avoid him. If you stay a safe distance away, the bear will usually let you be. If you have a ranger in your party, you could try to charm them. That way you have a powerful ally on your side for a bit.

I also love cats, and it breaks my heart every time I have to fish out that little girl's dead cat from the waterfall. And there is a house in Baldur's Gate where the guy tells you to go upstairs and kill his cat. So I did, even though I didn't want to, but I was curious as to what would happen. I kill this poor kitty and when I go back down to tell the guy, he's all pissed off! I think he says something like, "I was only kidding!"

I'm such a softy, I always play with a good party, and I always end up sparing everyone's life who begs for it, and treating people well. I don't think it would be psychologically possible for me to play an evil party. It's not in my nature. Not even in a game.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    There's components in SCS that make the animals smarter. With that, most of them run away even when hostile. Cave bears still attack though.
    CrevsDaak
    @SirBundlesofJoy_1912 About the guy who asks you to kill the cat, try talking to the little girl in front of the house first.
    CrevsDaak
  • OK, I will do that! I ain't killin' no more cats!

I'm sure Minsc would disagree, though. He wouldn't want Boo to become some kitty's snack!

"Run, Boo, Run!!!"
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154

I don't like the bears or any other animals in the game, like wolves and such. The reason? I absolutely love animals, and it breaks my heart to have to kill them. It doesn't matter that they are just in a game.

If I see a bear, I try to avoid him. If you stay a safe distance away, the bear will usually let you be. If you have a ranger in your party, you could try to charm them. That way you have a powerful ally on your side for a bit.

I also love cats, and it breaks my heart every time I have to fish out that little girl's dead cat from the waterfall. And there is a house in Baldur's Gate where the guy tells you to go upstairs and kill his cat. So I did, even though I didn't want to, but I was curious as to what would happen. I kill this poor kitty and when I go back down to tell the guy, he's all pissed off! I think he says something like, "I was only kidding!"

I'm such a softy, I always play with a good party, and I always end up sparing everyone's life who begs for it, and treating people well. I don't think it would be psychologically possible for me to play an evil party. It's not in my nature. Not even in a game.

You just reminded me of another session with another group of guys in PnP. In this group, there is a guy who ALWAYS plays Paladins. He is not exactly ping-thump, but his Paladins are not the sharpest knife in the set (which is, unfortunately, rather inline with his actual personality of shooting first and considering the consequences then it hits him).

So, at that point in time, they were on the run from the enemy army, and going through the forest. Their mission: get to the capital and warn the king that the enemy has broken through the traditional geographical barriers and is on their way. They came across an overgrown cave that was fairly well concealed by the undergrowth. What did the Paladin do? Charge straight in. It is a cave, and therefore it must have enemies and loot, right? WAAARGHH!!!!

In the cave was a Brown Bear who was just minding his own business. They (party of 3) were level 1. Let me repeat: They were LEVEL 1. The Brown Bear, stuck in the cave (more like a deep hollow) and with no way to retreat did what came naturally.

3 went in, 2 came out. At speed...
    ThacoBellSirBundlesofJoy_1912Kilivitz
  • FionordequesterFionordequester Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2016
    Remember guys...