Skip to content

Wilson Experience Table

Has an experience table for Wilson been published? I have him in my party at the moment and I notice that he gets extra strength points at levels 32 and 40 but I'm not sure it's feasible to reach them (he's currently at level 16, about half-way through the SoA content).

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    I've never used him, but EEKeeper classes him as a fighter (and therefore L40 should be achievable). You can check on his stats sheet that his 17th level is due at 2,250,000 XP.
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Thanks, I thought that Grizzly Bear might be its own class but if it follows a fighter then that's good to know.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Confirmed: I've once taken Wilson all the way to the end of ToB, and yes, he levels like a Fighter and hits level 40 at the xp cap.

As already implied, Grizzly Bear seems to have been implemented as a sort of Fighter-kit.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Willy Weasel and his Animal Friends - A tale of the furriest Bhaalspawn there ever was
  • AdaJAdaJ Member Posts: 154
    I wish they would implement that glove in Dark Sun 2. I think it was a +3 weapon doing 1d4 base damage. Put on two of those, mod in the Bear kit and go RARR!!!!!
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Gallowglass: After Wilson joins the party, does he have any personalized content in the game? He doesn't talk, so obviously there'll be no banter, but I wonder if there's anything at all.

Having taken him to the end of ToB, you should know. So thanks in advance!
    @xzar_monty - Wilson has a specific role in one of Neera's SoA mini-quests, but you probably already know that. Apart from that, no, he doesn't really have personal content, he's a fairly bare-bones easter-egg character, not very fully developed.

IIRC, he did grunt a "banter" on a couple of occasions ... but I'm not sure, I've only taken him that once and it was a while ago. However, he does have a really nice end-of-ToB epilogue.
    Wilson will help convince the Pirate Lord that you are mad enough to get into Spellhold in SoA. I haven't had any banter since then though.
    pwaring said:

Wilson will help convince the Pirate Lord that you are mad enough to get into Spellhold in SoA. I haven't had any banter since then though.

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten that! Thanks for the reminder. Erm ... that may have been what was making me think that Wilson had grunted a "banter" a couple of times.

It's an optional dialogue path for Wilson to help convince Desharik. Other ways are also available (just as when Wilson isn't with you), but yes, his presence does add an additional method.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Thanks! I believe the Druid Grove might have been a good area to put some Wilson content into.
    I suspect it's quite difficult to write banter, as everything has to be phrased in such a way that you can tell what Wilson has said from the reply options presented to Gorion's Ward.

I believe the Druid Grove might have been a good area to put some Wilson content into.

Yes, that'd feel appropriate. But no, they didn't do that.

Maybe some zealous modder might care to write a "Wilson of the Wilderness" content-mod?

(Arriving where Druids are battling Trolls)
    Druid: Good day, good bear! A pot of honey for your assistance?
    Wilson: *Snort* *Burble* *RraaARR!*
    Wilson charges in to fight Trolls
    (After defeating the Trolls)
    Druid: Normally we'd contest any intruder in our woods, but since you're travelling with this fine bear, I'm willing to assume that you're on Nature's side. Pass in peace. And take this for Wilson!
    Party gains 1000 xp each
    Party gains an item
    (Item turns out to be a honey-pot which Wilson can equip in a quick-item slot, not usable by anyone else, which gives him immunity to disease and poison while equipped)
    (Druids leave, and party moves on without the usual combat)

(On first entering Adratha's cottage)
    Wilson: *Sniff* *Sniff* *Grargh?* *RraaARR!*
    Wilson immediately attacks Adratha
    (Adratha converts to Ihtafeer, summons her minions, and battle ensues)
    (After winning battle)
    Protagonist: Thank the gods for your keen sense of smell, Wilson, else we might never have known what she was!
    Wilson: *Snort* *Growl?*
    Protagonist: Yes of course, Wilson, I've got your back too. Come on, let's go.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Wilson is da bomb. I can't imagine a play-through without him, now.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If only I had more time, I'd tinker with NI a bit and come up with fun special effects for Wilson. Feels like he really needs some extra HLAs or whatever, or just specific level-based innates idk.
    edited December 2016
    I usually give his dexterity a boost with EE Keeper. Bears, like most wild animals, are fast and uber-coordinated. And it's not like giving his dex a boost makes him hard to hit. He's still a damage sponge if he gets out front too fast.
    edited December 2016

He's still a damage sponge if he gets out front too fast.

Yes, that's the hard part about using Wilson. His damage output is okay, but he's rather fragile for a front-liner ... yet he doesn't know how to do anything except melee, so front-line is his only role.

I found that buffing him with Spirit Armor (and re-buffing if Dispelled) was the key to keeping him alive, plus elemental resistance buffs when situationally relevant. Also, always have another warrior running in with the Boots of Speed, so that the other guy usually arrives before Wilson and thereby absorbs more of the enemy targetting. (Also make sure that Wilson is carrying several healing potions, in case enemy targetting switches and he suddenly starts taking heavy damage.)

Edit: I'm talking about an unmodded Wilson, I did this without 'keepering his DEX.
    @Gallowglass I like your tactics and use them myself. I also try to remember to use his rage. I mainly change his dex for RP reasons, as it really doesn't make that much of a difference to him defensively once you head into mid to late SOA. If something targets him, he's going to get hit. I just don't like seeing a bear with the dex of a sloth.

I find he's really effective if I'm careful, but I've only taken him to the end of SOA. I haven't tried TOB with him, though he did okay the time I took him into Watcher's Keep. I found @elminster's NPC guide on Steam to be really useful for running Wilson. There are spells (like Spirit Armor, Protection from Magical Energy etc.) that I'd never thought twice about before or was too lazy to use.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    There are modders who love Wilson. Just wait and see.