Skip to content

Damage animation on 0 damage

The damage animation on 0 damage really sucks, it turns friendlies and neutrals hostile and it interrupts spells. ToBEx fixed this for the original game years ago. Is there any way to implement it in EE? Did the devs comment on it?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In the most recent version of EE, summoned critters no longer turn hostile when hit by party-unfriendly spells, and 0 damage hits should not interrupt spells. What version are you using?
  • IncasIncas Member Posts: 38
    V.2.3.67.3
    You are right with the summons, but spell interruption is still a thing. I'm gonna check if it's only a special case.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Summons no longer turn hostile even if damage is non-zero. What was previously silly was that they'd turn hostile even when they weren't hurt by your AoE/CC spell, but fixing that by making them never turn hostile at all has gone too far the other way.

Zero damage attacks can still interrupt spellcasting, it's happened to me a few times in my current run, although it doesn't seem to happen every time. I'm not sure what makes it happen sometimes and not other times.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well to interrupt a spell, you simply need to break a spellcaster's concentration. Maybe no damage was done, but maybe it caused a flinch.
    CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    ThacoBell said:

Well to interrupt a spell, you simply need to break a spellcaster's concentration. Maybe no damage was done, but maybe it caused a flinch.

Nothin' like a good ol' slap to the face to break one's concentration. Damaging? Probably not. Distracting? Heck yeah.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovelminster

ThacoBell said:

Nothin' like a good ol' slap to the face to break one's concentration. Damaging? Probably not. Distracting? Heck yeah.
    If I'm not mistaken the damage animation does also interrupt physical attacks. I think it's silly that 100% resistance to an attack form does not make you immune to "flinching" and thus loosing spells and attacks.
    Alonso
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2016

Maybe turn on concentration checks with CONCENTR.2DA? I forget whether that handles the zero-damage thing.

How is anything doing zero damage? I think kreso over at G3 is working on some EE-only updates to Spell Revisions that disable the flinch-on-zero-damage thing if you have 100% resistance.

The concentr.2DA just changes how you go about determining whether or not someone gets interrupted. You can still take 0 damage and have spell interuption with the value changed to 1 or 2.

Post edited by elminster on
    CrevsDaak
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2016
    I think zero damage still having a chance to disrupt spells kinda makes sense. You are hit by a blast of fire or a splash of cold, if you are magically protected you won't take damage but you may still flinch or get shaken a bit by the sheer impact, which can disrupt the spellcasting. If you have mgoi, which blocks the fireball entirely, you are safe.

Ofcourse, by the same logic, if a red dragon hits you with his giant claws, even with stoneskin you should feel the impact and get thrown off balance a bit even if you don't take any damage. But the engine just blocks the whole attack with the stoneskin, treating it like mgoi vs weapon attacks. But it is also inconsistent that special effects like poison/paralysis/drain etc. work through the skins. Maybe taking realism too far is not the best way. Wing buffet effect is nice to have the dragons still mighty and challenging, though.
    semiticgoddess
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The average mage in BG has lived through blades in the gut, hammers to the head and even arrows in the knee. I don't think they should flinch easily.
    CrevsDaakGallowglassArdul
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

The average mage in BG has lived through blades in the gut, hammers to the head and even arrows in the knee. I don't think they should flinch easily.

That's when you fall back on the ol' stand-by, called shot to the groin.
    CrevsDaakFinneousPJThacoBell
    If you think a fire immune Fire Giant mage should not be interrupted casting while standing in fire you can't argue a 100% fire resistant player mage should.
    GallowglasssemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You merely adopted the flame, I was born in it, molded by it. By the time I felt the cool breeze on my face, I was already man giant.
    CrevsDaak