Skip to content

Does internet require cruelty to be lively? (Embarrased to see myself at so many last posted slots)

2»

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Fardragon said:

In Finland, trolls are small, cute, friendly hippopotamus-like creatures.

Do note that Tove Jansson whom I love was a Swedish Finn, and I am tended to think that "Momintroll" should have been "Muumimenninkäinen" as opposed to "Muumipeikko" - but the latter is more concise.

Only "menninkäinen" is always a benevolent spirit in Scandi-mythology, whereas "peikko" is considered most often evil, maybe conflicted in jealosy. The story of "The Palemaiden" - kalpeaimpi - of Aleksis Kivi confirms this in the absolute seminal work of Finnish literature, "Seven Borthers" or Seitsemän veljestä.

In English it becomes troll anyway - but if you love the cleverness and benevolency of trolling - then it shall be menninkäinen; in case of domeneering and crushing, it is "peikko" most likely.

PS.
    I suggest you get and watch *Rare Exports" - I am consistent in objecting the "coca-cola treatment* of Santa Claus, or Scandi-mythical creatures, even as I enjoy it, with some even more enjoyable hypocricy, lol.

Fenris, anyone? "Little Wolf" like - buaah; that was BW "trolling" Fenris - standard troll, or that cutesy Finnish-one withstanding. ;-)

edited December 2016

I'd say: quality above quantity always.

This forum is still quite live, taking into account IE games are not, in the first place, the most popular games nowadays.

There're plenty of discussions going, for people with different interests and tastes:

- the No-reload thread
    - Did you know thread
    - Who Am I thread
    - different LoB threads
    - potraits and other fanart threads
    - MEME threads
    - the Politics thread

Every day, coming here after 10 - 12 hours, I find enough information to read for 2-3 hours, or more.

I know and appreciate the sentiment that you mean.

Am I naïve in thinking this very fora should also be the natural home for quality and quantity in sense of "difficult topics" and shameless "gamer solidarity & love-ins"?

What I mostly find quite easy to navigate, morally and rhetorically, in real life, can be weirdly hostile experience online, amongst gamers even.

Just a concrete example.

I support regional pricing, because I know that standard of living in Europe, North America, AU & NZ etc will price out potential gamers in most of Africa, Asia and Middle East. NOT the elite, but gamers like me and you. (unless u are very loaded of course)

If the digital distribution channels would find a way to support and encourage socially unpriviledged gamers in the developing nations, besides allowing the mid-class to join in, I'd be even more happy. I can casually afford my games, but this does not mean I want gaming to be a luxury hobby worldwide.

My fantasy scenario is EU cooperating with Tunisia or Lebanon or Kenya (etc) to bring an equal number of young women and men to Europe to learn game-creation with our universities and brilliant gaming studios - ten, twenty, fifty or wahatnot - if all will stay, I hope it would still aspire their compatriots.

I know I have a dream - but i frankly like it. When I want developing nations to have a differentiated pricing, I find it bizarre to find so little encouragement, or even hostility. I don't see why it would be a malicous attitde.

If I knew a Tunisian gal like my younger self got all inspired by Baldur's Gate 2, I'd be happy, even if she maybe could only pay a fraction.

I'd also really like the chance to play those games! ;-p

The politics thread has flirted with this recently, for obvious reasons. But it's been fairly cordial despite some very strong feelings. I mean, this isn't the RPG Codex.

That said, these forums didn't even flirt with incivility until the "Siege" controversy when the expansion came out, when these forums (along with review sites) were hit with a wave of people

I must tell you @jjstraka34 that when I internet search about new releases, I've been brought to RPG Codex.

My impression is that on the editorial, I have found RPG Codex quite impeccable for an internet source, and not unkind to gamers.

What opinion or attitude in substance draw unto you the haraassment of RPG codex fora, to the point you have quit it?

Did you support gal-gamers and gay-gamers to your cost? Or feel kindly towards the console or mobile gamers? Do tell! I might have been drawn unto false impressions.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    TStael said:

The politics thread has flirted with this recently, for obvious reasons. But it's been fairly cordial despite some very strong feelings. I mean, this isn't the RPG Codex.

That said, these forums didn't even flirt with incivility until the "Siege" controversy when the expansion came out, when these forums (along with review sites) were hit with a wave of people

I must tell you @jjstraka34 that when I internet search about new releases, I've been brought to RPG Codex.

My impression is that on the editorial, I have found RPG Codex quite impeccable for an internet source, and not unkind to gamers.

What opinion or attitude in substance draw unto you the haraassment of RPG codex fora, to the point you have quit it?

Did you support gal-gamers and gay-gamers to your cost? Or feel kindly towards the console or mobile gamers? Do tell! I might have been drawn unto false impressions.
    The reviews are fairly pretentious (they seem to hate 90% of the RPGs ever made yet have a website devoted to them), but the reviews themselves are fine. I talking about the inner portions of the forums. I haven't "quit", so to speak, but yes, the main topics I participated in recently was the absurd reaction to the female Ghostbusters movie and, I believe, something again related to Siege of Dragonspear. I didn't get drummed out, these people don't scare me. But the fourms on that site are an alt-right, Gamer-Gate, men's rights cesspool in which there are no bounds of decency or reason.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh, just like Congress :smiley:

TStael said:

The reviews are fairly pretentious (they seem to hate 90% of the RPGs ever made yet have a website devoted to them), but the reviews themselves are fine. I talking about the inner portions of the forums. I haven't "quit", so to speak, but yes, the main topics I participated in recently was the absurd reaction to the female Ghostbusters movie and, I believe, something again related to Siege of Dragonspear. I didn't get drummed out, these people don't scare me. But the fourms on that site are an alt-right, Gamer-Gate, men's rights cesspool in which there are no bounds of decency or reason.
    I hope you rather appreciate than dislike me for asking - because I'd not want to descend my source criticality to the lowest, rather up it, when I engange topics that matter me quite.

What you tell me feels right at home - but as to me, I never feel I am compelled to engage, only that having a bit richer range of oppinions might speak to someone whom fears the backlash perso, but would like there to be more than just the back-lash.

So I perso should like to think the non-normative but not unkind opinion is quite the blessing for any fora.

I must meanwhile say I have been reflecting on BW proper and Beamdog SoD fandom, and find myself a bit preplexed.

The former, as far as I know, takes varied representation at their stride, and embraces it more passionately than any average voice actor should ever know!

Dorian, Sera, Krem are firm fan favorites; my lithus test for this is the fan creativity they inspire. Fan art, writing, just head-canons. The point of it is: these characters are delighted in, not flimsily felt hurt about.

Just saying that they are so much better written does not quite cut it with me.

Remember sir Ano? :wink:

Did we gamers that wanted to romance a male NPC seek to bring down BW because Sir Ano was our only choice, and much less impressive than the female NPC romance cavalcade? And when, even at that, it was that pretty sole knight trope - when Keldorn was dang the hotter thing, already??

I assume it was fairly cricicized, BG was always played and loved, and many a development cycle later, Cullen became the most significant fan service of DA:I.

While I perso like Ano romance, I quite understand those whom went mental on Bishop in counter reaction, lol.

Yet, I most fundamentally appreciate there could be Dragon Age series that worked on it. My suspicion is that SoD thing was a proxy back-lash, more than truly felt one.