Skip to content

Average Joe Challenge

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
Average Joe Challenge
-------------------
As we all know, the rules say stats are rolled as 3d6 for each six stats. This means that the average roll should be 3 * 3.5 * 6 = 63. However, the game is generous enough to make the minimum roll 75 and thus raising the average even higher. I propose a challenge run, where the challenger is encouraged to limit their roll to the average roll of 63.

Rules
1) Roll must add up to 63 (racial bonuses: first roll a 63, then modify with racial bonuses)
2) Only one stat may be below 7; if you are min-maxed to the brim, that's not Joe Average! (Otherwise fighters could do 18/18/18/3/3/3)
3) Optional: No-Reload
4) Optional: SCS
5) Optional: LoB
6) Optional: Solo

When you begin, please post what rules you will be following. Please also post your character(s). I will do an example post next.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @semiticgod Yeah, I figured. You wanna give it a shot? The restriction makes building characters a lot more interesting than just rolling 18s for you main stats. Of course, you're welcome to choose any game, not just IWD.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    In BG this challenge would be a piece of cake, but you need balls (and patience) to do this in IWD.

Congrats and good luck - you gotta need it.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Nice idea :)
    I think it depends more of party composition. Especially i bring summoners, totemic druid, sorcerer because of rare scrolls, skald to buff summoned creatures, archery to avoid direct confrontation.
    My party would be totemic druid, archer, sorcerer, skald, bounty hunter, cleric of helm. The strategy is to scout, lay traps, summon minions, buff, and support minions with cc and long range attacks. At higher levels the cleric turn undead is essencial.
    It needs more preparation, and more fun with rest only inns challenge :)
    @Raduziel Yes, I had to carefully pull the enemies because it's easy to get overwhelmed in melee.

@Danacm You're welcome to join the challenge and test your idea ;)
    Looks like I won't be at my gaming PC until Christmas weekend. Lots of work to do before the holidays.
    @subtledoctor Yet I mostly see people playing builds with an 80+ roll.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor Most people roll characters with super-human stats. The point of this challenge is to roll characters with average stats. What is your point?
    edited December 2016
    @subtledoctor I never said or even implied that it would have "a huge impact on gameplay", though. I wanted to share the idea because I think it makes building characters more interesting.
    @subtledoctor Whenever you get the chance, please do.
    Getting back to this playthrough. Thanks for being patient, my friends! :D

The party reached Kuldahar with one reload on the way :( I forgot to take pics in the pass.

We went back to kill some Goblins and regain our dignity.

In Kuldahar we chatted with some people, getting and solving quests including convincing a conman to turn himself in.

Finally we were ready to progress, but were confronted by two Yetis. They weren't too hard, but Hawkwood suffered a bit.

Until next time!