Skip to content

Wasn't there this effect...

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
...that makes a creature completely untargetable - so much that the player doesn't even get the sword cursor when pointing the mouse at it? Sanctuary and Protection From Creature Type, if they aren't the same thing, still give the cursor, only there is no clicking on the creature.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Check the IESDP.
    CrevsDaakGrammarsaladKurona
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    This hardly helps. But I have a great idea: why don't we all here chip in some money, by PayPal or some other system, and order a big plaque of bronze, with silver letters, that will read: "The Rules of Common Sense," and then install it somewhere? One of those rules is going to be that if someone asks for directions, one should not answer simply with an injunction to "look at the map"!
    edited December 2016
    When someone asks a question that they could answer by themselves literally by going to the IESDP and searching "unselectable", it should not require others to tell them whether such an effect exists.

A lot of programming (being WeiDu, casual, or professional) is learning how to extract the information you need from the documentation available. If you have all your questions answered for you by others (who already had to "look at the map" themselves), you will never learn to be self-reliant.
    LavaDelVortelGrammarsaladKuronaCrevsDaak
    edited December 2016
    Damn it! What kind of moron do you take me for? Do you suppose I would come here and ask if I hadn't searched for "unselectable" already? Maybe it's conceivable for you, but not for me! That action does NOT do what I ask for in the main post - a way, and I SEEM to recall there was one, to make it so that the cursor passes over a creature entirely, without turning into a sword etc.! If you are so good at reading documentation, pray tell what the action that makes creatures unclickable and turns their circles purple has in common with my request?
    What does that action not do (mechanically) that your request needs?

You wanted the creature to be unclickable, no? I'm pretty sure you can configure it to make the selection circle invisible.
    The circle could be done away with, probably, but the cursor still changes into a hand for friendlies, talking faces for neutrals and a sword for hostiles when passed over the creature. I thought that I had been able, once, to make the cursor ignore the avatar entirely as if the creature was not there. But now that I've combed through the list of opcodes again, there seems to be no such thing.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Selection Circle Removal / Remove feet circle, #287.
    CrevsDaak
    Yes. :D The feet circle can go away. It's the cursor that won't. I wonder if it's possible to decrease the size of the selection circle, visible or invisible, in short the area a creature occupies for the purposes of targeting.

I'm trying to make an imitation of Animate Dead - while the Sarevok strangeness is up for the attention of anyone who understands avatars enough to know how they get their magic resistance, their buggy features and other properties. When someone learns how Sarevok subsists at 0 hp, we can have a real comeback from death. For now I'm thinking of an imitation. I could make creatures return to life immediately after being killed, but unconscious and untargetable, waiting for someone to cast the right spell. Then they would awake and be transformed to an undead type, with adjustments to looks and powers. I can script all that, take their circles away, I can even convert them to neutrals while they lie dormant so there is no alarming "Monsters are around" message, but they must not produce a hand or sword cursor for the mouse or block characters' way to the pile of loot.

Or am I being too perfectionist?
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    You might be able to find this function in Near Infinity. Don't know if it works though. It showed up when I was browsing effects and it's called Make Unselectable (365).
    Do forgive me if I told you stuff you don't need or already know, just thought I'd mention it.
    That function makes it impossible to order about a creature. You can still click on it, but the panel is blank. So it's not quite right.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Thats too bad. Thought it might be worth a shot.
    Well, it was worth a shot, just didn't hit the target! :smiley:
    profanitywarning