Skip to content

What is something you've found after your n'th playthrough that was new to you?

I've been playing this game for ~15 years and it seems like every time I play it I find something in the game that I've never found before.

I'm only on Chapter 2 for this run and so far I've found 2 things that I've never seen before.

The first was during Korgan's quest to find the Book of Kaza. During the quest you visit a crypt to search for the book, and it's full of typical tomb-y things: urns, coffins, mummies, undead, sarcophagi, etc... Well, down on of the halls you can explore there is a rather inconspicuous looking sarcophagus leaning against a wall that just looks like any other random piece of set design to help set the atmosphere of a crypt. Howerver, I happened to mouse over this during combat and noticed that my cursor changed to the interact-with-circle-arrows icon. Clicked it, out popped a skeleton warrior, it was pissed off, i killed it, and it dropped a magical spear that I had never encountered before.

The second was during my liberation of De'arnise keep. On the 2nd floor you run into Glaicas who was a member of the house guard, however is now hostile. I assumed that he was a traitor and killed him ever time I had encountered previously. Yet, this time I noticed that he said that he was shown the "truth" by the enemy "sorcerers", and I thought "Hmmm sorcerers...could be charmed." So I threw a Dispel Magic before I bashed his face in just to check. Sure enough! His circle changed from red to blue and the dialogue window pops up! He explains a little bit about what's been going on, hands you the head to the Flail of Ages he normally dropped when killed, and even tells you about the hidden forge. For taking this path rather than slaughtering him on sight I was rewarded with over twice the experience I would have gotten from just killing him.

So! What sort of new things have you found in the game for the first time after your 2nd, 3rd, 4th....n'th time through the game?
[Deleted User]EinhardtBelgarathMTHCrevsDaakdeltagoAerakarlolienNoobaccaJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessGrum

Comments

• profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    do you talk to Hannah and her son?
    JuliusBorisov
  • pvddrpvddr Member Posts: 38

do you talk to Hannah and her son?

Yeah that one took me less time to figure out :)
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    The first time I played BG2 I did the first one (sarcophagus thing) so it wasn't new but the second one (charmed enemy) I've just found out this playthrough as well. And like you, I always killed him.

Can't think of anything right now but I'm pretty sure that I found something new every playthrough.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @lundgrnn

I only found out about the sarcophagus one very recently.
    And that was because playing SCS and the lich followed me up the corridor, accidently (knew I was going to die, thought I'd have a look to see what it contained when I noticed the highlight) triggered the mummy as well, party caught in the middle.
    As I thought, it didn't end well.

@pvddr

The guard at the circus tent.
    Now that's a new one, thankyou.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    You don't have to kill the mage in the sewers of the temple district, you can do an errand for him as well. I must have done that a dozen times before I even saw that option.
    GallengerCrevsDaakNightingaleJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    deltago said:

... you can tell the cook the chief is dead and he will run free.

But he won't run free if you slam the door and kill him anyway! :naughty:
    CrevsDaak
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    In BG1, I discovered the Stupefier mace this autumn.
    CrevsDaakAerakarJuliusBorisov
    But they'll hate your guts if someone in your party *cough*minsc*cough* gets charmed and attacks them.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @profanitywarning Don't even need that. Wulfgar (and might I remind you all he's a barbarian) gets dire charmed and starts attacking his allies. Drizzt and co. blame it on you and leave. The paladin wields a Harbinger. Sword explodes. Everyone blames it on you and leave. *slow clap*
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    LOL haven't had that happen yet. I need to go begging for help everywhere next time I return from the underdark.
    JuliusBorisov
  • EinhardtEinhardt Member Posts: 53
    That sounds very anti-climactic.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

But they'll hate your guts if someone in your party *cough*minsc*cough* gets charmed and attacks them.

I have charname lead with negative plane, charm protection and an upgraded mace of disruption. The vamps never live long enough to get a charm off.
    GallowglassCrevsDaak
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Something is very wrong with this picture.

profanitywarningJuliusBorisov
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    In Brynnlaw if you get the talisman from killing the cowled wizard, and go into the asylum through the front door, "The DIrector" gives you a tour and explains all the psychosis of the imprisoned there. In every other playthrough, I'd kill the cowled wizard, but always loved the dialogue to get myself committed and would get in that way so never went in through the front door.
    JuliusBorisov
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @tbone1: Which mage do you mean in the sewers of the Temple District? And what errand is that? I'm pretty sure I don't know what you're talking about, so please spoil away.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

@tbone1: Which mage do you mean in the sewers of the Temple District? And what errand is that? I'm pretty sure I don't know what you're talking about, so please spoil away.

It's part of the quest for Haerd'aelis (or whatever his name is) in BG2
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
    The cloak on the table in the room with the appiritions near the end of the spellhold maze.
    @tbone1: Do you mean that you can avoid a fight with him even after you've released Haer'Dalis? How is that possible, and what kind of an errand does he then give you?
    Well I'll be darned. I never knew that. Thanks!
    GallowglassCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovGrum
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

@xzar_monty - no, before releasing Haer'Dalis.

When you meet Mekrath before freeing Haer'Dalis, if you tell him that you want Haer'Dalis but don't mention the Portal Gem, then Mekrath offers you a short quest instead of a fight. His quest is to recover his magic mirror from his escaped Imp, whom you can then find in the sewers. Returning the mirror to Mekrath causes him to teleport away without fighting, and when he leaves that automatically frees Haer'Dalis.

Is the mirror broken?

Because I have one in my BOH and I have no idea where it has come from (currently in TOB so this is just for future reference) and I didn't speak to Mekrath before killing him anyway.
    Never had it before and I pick up everything (I'm a millionaire but those silver necklaces still look too tempting).

And is this from a Mod, I have UB and SCS installed and that's a first for me.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited January 2017

Is the mirror broken?

Yes. So that's probably the one I'm talking about.

Edit: ah, no, wait ... isn't there something about SCS abusing mirrors as inventory-markers for some obscure purpose? (I don't have SCS, so I'm not clear about this.) So maybe it's an SCS-related item ... IIRC, if it's the mirror from Mekrath's quest, then its in-game item description makes that obvious.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Artemis Entreri, legendary assassin and rival to Drizzt, is encoded within the game files and can be summoned in game via cheats, quite functional.
    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
    Sounds nice. Does she have banters?
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014

Artemis Entreri, legendary assassin and rival to Drizzt, is encoded within the game files and can be summoned in game via cheats, quite functional.

Was he originally supposed to appear and his story line was later cut?