Skip to content

How often do you rest?

2»

Comments

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Every 4 haste spells basically, Dorn and Viconia start complaining first and it ends with Korgan then I know I need to rest.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    If it's a non-RP game, then whenever the mood strikes me.

If it's an RP game, then whenever the mood strikes CHARNAME.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I just rest when it feels natural be that as a result of injury or spell loss or even just because it feels appropriate I usually rest a few days at an inn after large adventures just so my party can put there feet up
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    edited December 2013
    I rest when I'm out of major healing spells and raise dead, when I've just finished a particularly difficult fight, and before i do a character quest, and fatigue. i only rest when my mages are out of spells when im in desperate need for them or i find my self using mages more often than not.

the only main criteria is when Nalia is out of acid arrows, you never know when your going to run into a troll
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I rest in such a way as to make the game as fun as possible for me. That tends to change depending on my mood, party, point in the saga, etc.

I recently completed Sendai's Enclave, for example, on zero rests. I try to do most dungeons without resting, occasionally not completing the task, but with Sendai I wanted to push myself because her entire strategy against you is attrition and it feels like cheating to randomly rest in the middle of the experience.

However, I'm also playing the role of a smart character (since I usually play some variation of mage), so if it's obvious that I'm about to fight a dragon, I'm going to make damn sure my party has the right spells before I engage it. Same is true for obvious traps or ambushes, like the super-ominous staging areas for the Kangaxx liches.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I try not to abuse rest I tend to be very conservative with spell use anyway with casters spending as much time plinking away with whatever ranged weapons they use as they do casting and I typically run with more than one priest type so I have access to plenty of healing spells (so I can stockpile potions for those times I might "really" need them).

That said when spell levels get low I generally find a spot to rest even if it's not a very safe one and take what comes.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    I rest fairly often. Something about the mood or the camaraderie of the party enjoying their journey and their travel together makes the night in camp or an inn seem like a fun part of the game to me. I also see no downside to having my party fully healed with all their spells! (ordinarily, obviously if a quest requires speed, I'll rest less).
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I usually try to rest as rarely as I can in order to avoid making the game easier for me. This typically results in me only using my mage(s) when I need a Breach spell. :P
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Not really after they get fatigued but I roleplay my resting, so I will tend to rest between 9pm to 10. A little later in cities. If travelling inbetween areas, I make one rest if the journey time goes into the night (to simulate the party rested in between travel).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Whichever comes first, Fatique, running out of spells on the casters or needing heals and the cleric(s) being out of those.
  • ShandooShandoo Member Posts: 51
    For me, (all chars 16+ con) fatigue apears after a week of traveling, so rest is fairly rare... is that a bug?
    Seriously, a week without sleep?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Shandoo said:

For me, (all chars 16+ con) fatigue apears after a week of traveling, so rest is fairly rare... is that a bug?
    Seriously, a week without sleep?

What I'm sure of is that this is Necromancy.
    The con modifiers affect it a lot. Some get exhausted after 14 hours of walking or so (Xan at 12 I think), and others can walk around 20 or 16.

Also, Fatigue is an additive modifier; it sums up, so characters like Xan are like getting a tremendous penalty while others like Mazzy might not even bother to rest as they get a minimal penalty even after 20 hours of walking.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Technically I almost never rest, because I spam a custom rest spell after every fight to replicate the effects. It's slightly faster and more convenient than pressing Z. I only rest when I need to pass time quickly or trigger a dream or something.

I do a lot of things to hasten gameplay; I'm very impatient.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited December 2016
    I rest when I think a break is called for. Like after clearing a wilderness map in BG1. If I'm in a dungeon and we're out of spells and down on HP, then I'll go up to the surface to rest. I use the Rest Anywhere mod so I can sleep in logical (IMO) places like the warehouse at the Nashkel mines or the hunter's lodge in the Cloakwood.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I just realized, I don't rest enough.

There have been many play throughs where I never acquired all my hidden bhaal powers that you only get when you dream.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Whenever I have a character (usually Minsc) mention their fatigue. RNG is mean enough to me as is, I don't need to tempt it with things like fatigue.

Though if I've also unleashed far too many spells in an encounter, I'll rest then too, but that's not the main source of my resting.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    If we're not yet fatigued, then we've got work to do, so we'll get on with it.

Once we become fatigued, then we'll look for somewhere plausible to rest. Always an inn if there's one nearby, otherwise camping outdoors, generally not in a dungeon (unless it's one where you can't leave at will, in which case we might risk it).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I like to rest at an inn when the party gets back in town after traipsing through the wilderness even if no one is fatigued. I tend to rest once a map, more if the party is hurting. And when I inevitably finish all the sidequests in chapter 2 and am only half way through Jaheira's romance, I start chain resting outdoors to finish it up.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Pretty much at the end of every major quest events.

I never ever rest in dungeons. The way I see is the same as putting 25 in every atribute using EEKeeper.
  • qwaltqwalt Member Posts: 7
    Some playthroughs I'll only rest I taverns for difficulty. But generally once all of defensive spells are used or if big fight is coming up
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    Actually, it is *before* every fight to make sure I have all the spells (and fighter HLAs) needed.
    Basically I will cast stoneskin on myself, prepare all the sequencers and spell triggers, find somewhere to sleep, make sure everyone's fully healed, then set out for any fight.