Skip to content

Enemy's tele-field moved a char to unreachable area (SPOILERS)

HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
Just finished the fight against Hephernan and his army. I couldn't leave the area because one of my chars is stuck in an unreachable area of the map. An enemy mage cast teleportation field and it teleported Neera over the wall. What do I do?

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2016
    Try kicking her out and see if she can get close enough to your PC to start the leaving dialogue. Let her leave, then she'll make it back to the camp.

You could also use the Ctrl+J cheat if you have the console enabled but, well, seeing as you're making this thread then you probably don't...
    JuliusBorisovKuronasemiticgoddess
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you've got console commands operating then try using ctrl-j to teleport the selected character to the cursor position.
    JuliusBorisovKuronasemiticgoddess
  • HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
    How do you enable the console?
  • HaranHaran Member Posts: 66
    Thanks, it worked
    Grond0JuliusBorisovKuronaelminster
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Killing the character also works, if you want to avoid using the console. The quick-loot feature will let you nab their equipment from a distance, and you can resurrect them later.

Teleport Field can also teleport enemies out of reach, which sometimes requires the use of CTRL-J.
    EnilwynJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Has anyone reported this as a bug? It can't be an intended behaviour that characters can get stuck in unreachable locations. If the stuck character happens to be the protagonist, and if you're on a tablet without access to console codes, then it might be irrecoverable.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2016
    @Gallowglass I'm not sure what can be done about it... this is the sort of reason why Dimension Door isn't an available spell, because it could make you jump anywhere you had a line of sight to. As stated previously there are workarounds, albeit sub-optimal. Kill the stranded NPC, kick them out, even cast Teleport Field again and hope they're lucky enough to jump back to where they were...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Well yes, it occurred to me that it might be a tricky one to fix ... but perhaps not impossible. Obviously the spell has a way to avoid 'porting anyone to the middle of solid rock, etc., so it's not just placing anywhere-within-radius, it's only using places you can stand in. Presumably it picks up the valid area by masking the area-of-effect circle against the floor-polygons on the map, but there ought to be some way to mask off unreachable areas as well as "unstandable" areas ... a status flag on each floor-polygon should do the trick. Hmm, there's a lot of polygons to flag ... but it ought to be do-able.

Workarounds get you out of it in some cases, but what about when it's the protagonist who is dumped in an unreachable area? You can't kick the protagonist, you can't kill the protagonist, you don't necessarily have the Teleport Field spell (and you can't go buy it, because you're stuck where you are!) On a tablet without console, you could be thoroughly shafted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The only workaround would be to create an alternate map in which places that are supposed to be inaccessible simply do not have any walkable ground on them--that is, the ground would actually be a wall. Teleport Field can't place you in a wall. Later, when you're supposed to go beyond that gate, you would have a completely different map in which that section is walkable.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

The only workaround would be to create an alternate map in which places that are supposed to be inaccessible simply do not have any walkable ground on them--that is, the ground would actually be a wall. Teleport Field can't place you in a wall. Later, when you're supposed to go beyond that gate, you would have a completely different map in which that section is walkable.

Doors got an impeded map so this isn't impossible. You can mark the unreachable parts.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Enemies weren't supposed to have Teleport Field memorized in such places, for this very reason. Seems like a mage from the final "insane" reinforcement group still managed to slip it in.

I'm busy with feast preparations right now, so unless someone wishes to beat me to it, I'll file the bug the next year :)
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ardanis said:

Enemies weren't supposed to have Teleport Field memorized in such places, for this very reason. Seems like a mage from the final "insane" reinforcement group still managed to slip it in.

I'm busy with feast preparations right now, so unless someone wishes to beat me to it, I'll file the bug the next year :)

ArdanisJuliusBorisov