Skip to content

BG1 EE with SOD: Chapter 6 Candlekeep save crash) - Help please

TheGhoulBabiesTheGhoulBabies Member Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in Troubleshooting
My game crashes right after I load a save from chapter 6 Candlekeep (the autosave from the gate and my quicksaves from inside the library) homewer saves from earlier don't (I have one from the durlag tower just before the boss fight)

I have SCS, Unfinished Bussines, NPC Banter installed. I'll post my saves and a crash log

I've noticed that if I pause after I load the save it doesn't crash until after I unpause it. So the crash occurs a few game time seconds after I load

Comments

• TheGhoulBabiesTheGhoulBabies Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    So I retread on story mode to speed things up and now I get the same error right after the fight with Sarevok's acolytes (the chapter 5 one) and I get the message about a berserker state ending; this is interesting because I neglected to mention that I got the same error on the 3rd floor of the candlekeep library after I talked with Rieltar and then the game started to crash all the candlekeep saves

This message bug was also mentioned in another thread here that I can't find anymore :sweat:

LE: found it https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/21812/issues-in-candlekeep-chapter-6

Might be something to do with SCS?
    Alright so I made sure to kill Zhalimar first so he doesn't run to the roof again. That seems to have fixed it

Thanks for the interest btw
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Thanks for the interest btw

Sorry if we all seemed neglectful by our lack of response.

It's an interesting find, and obviously some sort of bug which deserves reporting as such, although since you have mods installed, it's therefore not clear to whom the bug should be reported. It's never happened to me in the unmodded game, so I'd suspect that it's one or other of your mods which is causing this (although I've no idea which one).

However, I didn't respond earlier because I had no useful suggestion to offer. The same probably goes for others who have read this. Many of us here are interested, honestly, even if we don't have anything to say. You may yet receive a "proper response" from one of the official Beamdog team who know more about these things, but many of them aren't yet back from their Christmas break.

Glad to hear that you've now found a workaround to avoid it happening.
    lolien
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    People are not always able to respond within the timescales you are talking about but that doesn't mean nobody is interested or that you are being ignored. I had checked your saves loaded without crashing in an unmodded game based on your second comment, but this took about 20 minutes to do and during that time your third entry had been posted about being able to proceed so I didn't reply.

If you want to investigate further, could you see if Zhalimar activates a berserk state earlier in combat. i.e. is he berserk perhaps as a result of mod content, or is the message misleading.
    lolienelminster
    edited January 2017
    Forgive my brash words, I'm sometimes prone to act quite childish

I haven't been able to replicate the bug through I think it appears when zhalimar goes to the roof and forgets to come back or it is caused by him going unconscious in another map when his berserker state ends

I think 15 dmg should knock that squirell out but I've been to Candlekeep and it didn't trigger through it's possible the polymorph (from the wand) wore off or I haven't waited long enough. Maybe the game has his own internal clock for this sort of thing. I made sure to rest too so I don't know
    Gate70
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Gate70 said:

People are not always able to respond within the timescales you are talking about but that doesn't mean nobody is interested or that you are being ignored. I had checked your saves loaded without crashing in an unmodded game based on your second comment, but this took about 20 minutes to do and during that time your third entry had been posted about being able to proceed so I didn't reply.

If you want to investigate further, could you see if Zhalimar activates a berserk state earlier in combat. i.e. is he berserk perhaps as a result of mod content, or is the message misleading.

FYI, SCS gives Zhalimar and Gardush the berserker kit.

Also, I tried loading the save games into an unmodded BGEE. No crashes.
    Gate70
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Thanks both. I had a go at reproducing unmodded (berserk hostile Minsc, then BGII Derro berserker). Moving areas and using wand of polymorphing appeared to cause no issues so may need to be investigated further from a mod perspective unless you can see a flaw with my tests and suggest a better one.