Skip to content

[Kit Mod] Undead Predator (Ranger Kit for IWDEE, EET, BGEE and BG2EE)

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
edited July 2017 in General Modding
UNDEAD PREDATOR:

This ranger devotes PRO_HISHER life to hunting and destroying the undead and helping those who have fallen victim to them. They are nomads wandering through the darkest corners of the land fighting these profane creatures. Their hard training comes at a cost: they do not have the same affinity with nature as other rangers and rarely create bonds with the people around them.

Advantages:

- +10% to Move Silently and Hide in Shadows
- +3 to Hit and Damage against Undeads
- -2 AC Bonus against Undeads
- Starts with a +1 bonus to PRO_HISHER save against Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic. Another one is given at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.
- Casts Cure Disease, Lesser Restoration, Negative Plane Protection, Remove Fear and Remove Paralysis. Gains a use for each spell at level 2 and another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10.
- At level 10 becomes immune to Disease
- At level 15 gains the Deceive Undead ability
- At level 20 gains the Bless of Recognition

DECEIVE UNDEAD:

The Undead Predator is capable of turn himself undetectable by the undead. While this ability is active every undead will completely ignore the Predator no matter what PRO_HESHE does. The effect can be used once per day and lasts for 10 Rounds.

BLESSING OF RECOGNITION

After a long, valiant and hard journey, the Predator gains the favor of the gods. From now on PRO_HESHE's permanently under the effect of Bless, Protection From Evil, Negative Plane Protection and Remove Fear.

Disadvantages:

- May only use the following weapons: Axes, Clubs, Crossbows, Warhammers, Longswords, Maces, Quarterstaff and Spears.
- All spell-like abilities are single-target and require touch
- Alignment restricted to Neutral Good
- Requires at least 16 Wisdom
- Can't wear metal armor
- -2 Charisma penalty
- Cannot Dual Class
- No Charm Animal
- Can't cast spells

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to check for bugs and grammar/spelling errors. Every update will be attached in this first post and every feedback is welcome.

I want to thank @CamDawg for the awesome tutorial, @Grammarsalad and @subtledoctor for the usual patience helping me and @Aquadrizzt for helping me with my first problem.

I also want to thank @Gwendolyne and @kjeron for introducing some awesome technics that made this kit better than it was.

Thanks, guys!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can always download the latest version on this link.

If you like this kit you'll probably also like:

Undead Redeemer (Cleric Kit)

Undead Slayer (Wizard Kit)

Undead Hunter (Paladin Kit Revision)

Undead Tricker (Thief Kit)

Undead Ravager (Fighter Kit)

Undead Mourner (Bard Kit)
Post edited by Raduziel on
GrammarsaladZaghoulfranco8737

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017

My only gripe: Sunray is a 7th level spell. That's top-level magic. I feel like no one who forsakes spellcasting and chooses a warrior class should ever be using top-level magic.

Even 6th-level spells feel too strong, but False Dawn is appropriate in this case so I say keep it. But for a warrior, False Dawn is great. Sunray is overkill.

Anyway that's just a statement of principle, more than something particular about this kit.

More particular to this kit: I'd like to see something more unique than a cloned version of Berserker Rage. EE 2.0 can do save bonuses to particular schools, so why not replace Strong Soul with, say, a +3 bonus to saves vs. Necromancy?

@subtledoctor

Thank you for the insight, specially coming from you.

Sunray is something that I'm still judging. Those levels were chosen because they are one level after a priest gains access to those spells - but you're probably right about the overkill. I didn't removed this so far because the Predator wouldn't be doing nothing that any fighter with Daystar and/or Helm of Brilliance already do.

About the Strong Soul: it seems a lot like Berserker Rage, only that it is somehow weaker, has lesses uses and is directed "only" against the threats that an undead commonly offers.

The bonus save against Necromancy won't help against a vampire's charm, a ghoul's touch, a shadow's touch, a wraith's energy drain and so goes. This kit hunts undeads, not necromancers or evil priests. The only thing in the list that the vs. Necromancy save helps is against Death Magic (Finger of Death to be precise). I'm removing the Maze/Imprisonment immunity - this way at least one undead will always be something to face with some respect.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2017
    @subtledoctor Don't be so hard with the poor short-fused guys. lol

I was thinking and the Sunray stays. In terms of powers and weakness the kit is ready. I'm working on the introductory text and will start the build per se anytime soon: I'm really green with building, so it will probably take a while and lots of trial-and-error.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I think Sunray needs to either stay or be changed to a totally different spell.

The vanilla game isn't really balanced and Sunray is obtainable through either Daystar or the Helm of Brilliance so if this kit's special ability was worse than what some easily accessible items offer, it would feel quite bad. The base game sort of forces into giving Sunray less credit than it deserves since it makes it accessible way before clerics can get it anyway.

An entirely different spell that doesn't have to suffer from the comparison to Daystar/Helm of Brilliance would be better in term of power level I think.
    Sunray and False Dawn are great just to sweep minions. I particularly never was able to one-shot kill any Lich or a respectable vampire with it.

And the PoU doesn't need more damage/round. Using the Phantom Blade ability it will be delivering a minimal of +16 damage/attack (+3 Mastery, +3 Kit, +10 Phantom Blade). Against its natural enemy it goes up to +20 damage/attack. That's how I think he'll win battles. The Sunray/False Dawn are just tools to clean the path towards the real threat.

I'll do some practical tests. If I feel him too overpowered, I'll nerf it by removing Sunray. If I feel him too weak, I'll throw Grandmastery with the Phantom Blade. All we can do in this meantime in speculate and all suggestions and critics are welcome.
    Due to some RL issues I'll postpone this mod to the end of this month. If everything go as planned I'll be able to release this one with the Reviewed Wizard Slayer and the Exorcist (a Paladin kit).
    edited January 2017
    Description added.

As I'm not a native english speakers and self-learned the language, please, feel free to correct anything.
    Ok, I'm having a bad time creating the Phantom Blade - can't make it be wielded as a Master. It is delaying the release of the mod.

Will work on it during this week and hope I can give you guys something by the weekend.
    edited July 2017
    Removing some dust here...

I'm having some minor advance in this mod, but IDK how to name a spell.

Can anyone help me?

I'm using DLTC.

Thanks!
    Raduziel
    Right now I'm struggling to finish the Strong Soul ability.

When it's ready it will be just a matter of packing everything up and uploading v1.
    Noobacca
    Ok, I'm giving up on Strong Soul. I just ain't capable of doing it by now - maybe in a future upgrade.

Made some adjustments on the other abilities to compensate that.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    what was strong soul supposed to do?
    Arthas said:

what was strong soul supposed to do?

Protect against Hold, Charm, Fear, Level/Ability Drain and Death Magic by 10 rounds.

But I wanted it to be useless against Web, Entangle, Grease, psionics, Feeblemind and other effects not related to undeads' tools.
    I'm having the following error when trying to install:

Here's the tp2:

BACKUP "Predator Of Undeads/Backup"
    AUTHOR Raduziel
    VERSION "v1.0"

BEGIN "Predator Of Undeads kit for Rangers"
    INCLUDE "Predator Of Undeads/Lib/fl#add_kit_ee.tpa"

ADD_KIT ~RZ#POU~
    ~RZ#POU 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 13 13 14 3 16 3~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 -2~
    ~RZ#POU 99 99 99 99 99 99~
    ~RZ#POU 15 17 0 0 15 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~Predator of Undeads/Tables/RZ#POU.2da~
    ~K_R_H K_R_D K_R_G K_R_E K_R_HE K_R_HL K_R_HO~
    ~0x00008000 12~
    ~RZ#POU~
    ~LEAT19 BLUN25 HELM16 * RING27 RING31 CLCK02 BOOT01 AMUL27 BRAC10 * * * * * * * SW1H31 AX1H10 *~
    SAY ~predator of undeads~
    SAY ~Predator of Undeads~
    SAY ~PREDATOR OF UNDEADS: Some rangers don't stay idle guarding one natural place against the hazards that comes against it. Some rangers choose to pursuit the danger, traveling to unholy places and facing the children of the night and the defilers of the earth. The Predator of Undeads is one of these rangers.

The scent of death lurks deeply in a Predator. He loses some of his connection to nature, being unable to cast spells and incapable of calming animals. Every sentient being is capable of feeling that something is odd with this ranger, turning its social relations harder in general.

However, this scent is also channeled by the Predator to aid its mission. It can learn how to undo the ill effects that undeads often deliver and even temporarily shield itself against all the powers often used by them.

Being often the prey instead of the predator taught these rangers to be stealthy - and the constant exposure to the undead endured its resistance against foul magic.

Due to the nature of their jobs, the Predator never wears metal armor. It's not rare a situation where it needs to crawl, hide, stalk and pursuit. And besides this, they are nomads and needs to travel lightly. Their weapons choice is also limited - it only studies those weapons that are especially effective against the undead.

Advantages:

+10% to Hide in Shadows and Move Silently

+3 Hit / +3 Damage against Undeads

Protection From Evil

Starts with a +1 bonus to its save against Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic. Another one is given at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.

Casts Cure Disease, Lesser Restoration, Negative Plane Protection, Remove Fear, and Remove Paralyze as a priest of the same level. Gains a use for each spell at level 2 and another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10.

At level 15 gains the Deceive Undead ability:

DECEIVE UNDEAD

The Predator of Undeads is capable of turn himself undetectable by the undead. While this ability is activated every undead will completely ignore the Predator no matter what it does. The effect can be used once per day and lasts for 10 Rounds.

At level 20 becomes immune to Disease, Fear, Level/Ability Drain, and Paralyze.

Disadvantages:

May only use Crossbow, Spears, Maces, Hammers, Longswords, and Axes.
    All spell-like abilities are single-target and require touch
    Alignment restricted to Neutral Good
    Requires at least 16 Wisdom
    Can't wear metal armor
    -2 Charisma penalty
    Cannot Dual Class
    No Charm Animal
    Can't cast spells~

LAF fl#add_kit_ee
    INT_VAR
    biography =
    briefdesc = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~PREDATOR OF UNDEADS: This ranger is focused in hunting and destroying undeads.~)
    fallen = 1
    fallen_notice = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Lost Class: Predator Of Undeads~)
    STR_VAR
    kit_name = ~RZ#POU~
    backstab = ~1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
    clswpbon = ~1 0 2~
    numwslot = ~3~
    clascolr = ~35 67 67 25 80~
    clasiskl = ~0 0 0 15 15 0 0~
    hpclass = ~HPRZ#POU~
    clsrcreq = ~1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
    clasthac = ~0~

END

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPCD.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Cure Disease~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPDU.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Deceive Undead~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPLR.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Lesser Restoration~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPNPP.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Negative Plane Protection~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPRF.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Remove Fear~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SPRP.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Remove Paralyze~

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#DSIM" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#STBN" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator of Undeads/spl/RZ#SVBN" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator of Undeads/Tables/HPRZ#POU.2DA" override
    "Predator/Tables/LURZ#POU.2DA" override

What am I doing wrong?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    LAF fl#add_kit_ee
    INT_VAR
    biography =
    briefdesc = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~PREDATOR OF UNDEADS: This ranger is focused in hunting and destroying undeads.~)
    fallen = 1

Can't have an empty field. Either omit "biography =" or give it a strref.
    NoobaccaRaduziel
    @Aquadrizzt

Thanks! That solved.

I'll do an alpha test to see if everything is happening as it was supposed to be.
    edited July 2017
    @subtledoctor Deceive Undead won't show its name despite the command SAY in Weidu.

Can you help me?

TP2

BACKUP "Predator Of Undeads/Backup"
    AUTHOR Raduziel
    VERSION "v1.0"

BEGIN "Predator Of Undeads kit for Rangers"
    INCLUDE "Predator Of Undeads\Lib\fl#add_kit_ee.tpa"

ADD_KIT ~RZ#POU~
    ~RZ#POU 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 13 13 14 3 16 3~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 -2~
    ~RZ#POU 99 99 99 99 99 99~
    ~RZ#POU 15 17 0 0 15 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~Predator Of Undeads\Tables\RZ#POU.2da~
    ~K_R_H K_R_D K_R_G K_R_E K_R_HE K_R_HL K_R_HO~
    ~0x00010000 12~
    ~RZ#POU~
    ~LEAT19 BLUN25 HELM16 * RING27 RING31 CLCK02 BOOT01 AMUL27 BRAC10 * * * * * * * SW1H31 AX1H10 *~
    SAY ~predator of undeads~
    SAY ~Predator Of Undeads~
    SAY ~PREDATOR OF UNDEADS: Some rangers don't stay idle guarding one natural place against the hazards that comes against it. Some rangers choose to pursuit the danger, traveling to unholy places and facing the children of the night and the defilers of the earth. The Predator of Undeads is one of these rangers. The scent of death lurks deeply in a Predator. He loses some of his connection to nature, being unable to cast spells and incapable of calming animals. Every sentient being is capable of feeling that something is odd with this ranger, turning its social relations harder in general. However, this scent is also channeled by the Predator to aid its mission. It can learn how to undo the ill effects that undeads often deliver and even temporarily shield itself against all the powers often used by them. Being often the prey instead of the predator taught these rangers to be stealthy - and the constant exposure to the undead endured its resistance against foul magic. Due to the nature of their jobs, the Predator never wears metal armor. It's not rare a situation where it needs to crawl, hide, stalk and pursuit. And besides this, they are nomads and needs to travel lightly. Their weapons choice is also limited - it only studies those weapons that are especially effective against the undead.

Advantages:

- +10% to Hide in Shadows and Move Silently
    - +3 to Hit and Damage against Undeads
    - Protection From Evil
    - Starts with a +1 bonus to its save against Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic. Another one is given at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.
    - Casts Cure Disease, Lesser Restoration, Negative Plane Protection, Remove Fear, and Remove Paralyze as a priest of the same level. Gains a use for each spell at level 2 and another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10.
    - At level 15 gains the Deceive Undead ability
    - At level 20 becomes immune to Disease, Fear, Level/Ability Drain, and Paralyze.

DECEIVE UNDEAD:

The Predator of Undeads is capable of turn himself undetectable by the undead. While this ability is activated every undead will completely ignore the Predator no matter what it does. The effect can be used once per day and lasts for 10 Rounds.

Disadvantages:

- Besides Weapon Styles, may only allocate proficiency slots in Crossbow, Spears, Maces, Hammers, Longswords, and Axes
    - All spell-like abilities are single-target and require touch
    - Alignment restricted to Neutral Good
    - Requires at least 16 Wisdom
    - Can't wear metal armor
    - -2 Charisma penalty
    - Cannot Dual Class
    - Can't cast spells
    - No Charm Animal~

LAF fl#add_kit_ee
    INT_VAR
    fallen = 1
    fallen_notice = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Lost Class: Predator Of Undeads~)
    STR_VAR
    kit_name = ~RZ#POU~
    hpclass = ~HPRZ#POU~

END

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPCD.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Cure Disease~
    SAY 0X50 ~Cure Disease~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPDU.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Deceive Undead~
    SAY 0X50 ~Deceive Undead~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPLR.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Lesser Restoration~
    SAY 0X50 ~Lesser Restoration~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPNPP.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Negative Plane Protection~
    SAY 0X50 ~Negative Plane Protection~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPRF.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Remove Fear~
    SAY 0X50 ~Remove Fear~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SPRP.spl" override
    SAY 0xC ~Remove Paralyze~
    SAY 0X50 ~Remove Paralyze~

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#DSIM.spl" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#STBN.spl" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Spl/RZ#SVBN.spl" override
    SAY 0xC #-1

COPY "Predator Of Undeads/Tables/HPRZ#POU.2DA" override
    "Predator Of Undeads/Tables/LURZ#POU.2DA" override
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    well intentioned criticism: you may want to rename this kit to something else in the english version, because the syntagm "predator of undeads" does not sound very good
    Raduziel
    edited July 2017
    bob_veng said:

well intentioned criticism: you may want to rename this kit to something else in the english version, because the syntagm "predator of undeads" does not sound very good

Thanks. Better?
    @subtledoctor Thanks, I'll try this!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    from the top of my head... how about Spirit Sentinel

he guards nature spirits / wood spirits from the corrupting influence and depredation of undead presences etc etc.
    edited July 2017
    Well,

The only real issue I'm having right now is that the kit name and description won't appear on the character sheet.

Did a try in both IWDEE and EET, none of them shows the kit in the character sheet.

And for EET the kit wasn't displayed at the character creation - I Eekeeped it into a character to run some tests (without other issues).

Any help?
    edited July 2017
    Fixed the "can't install" issue. I got my dialogue.tlk corrupted while I was looking for some strings.
    edited July 2017
    It's done, but I'll give one more try for Strong Soul and do some tests at BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE before releasing this Kraken.

@JuliusBorisov can you please clean this thread (except for this post and the original one)?

Thanks!
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

The kit is ready for BGEE. I need to alter the tp2 to patch the strings according to the game (IWDEE, BGEE, BG2EE, EET) using @subtledoctor 's tip.

The way I see everything will be done by Saturday.

See ya 'round.
    edited July 2017
    The kit is 100% ready!

Feel free to test it and give all the feedback you can about the power balance, bugs, grammar, spelling, typos, etcetera.

I didn't test it in EET 'cause I need some time to reinstall it, but there are no reasons for this mod to conflict with anything. Test as you want and let me know the results.

See you around and hope you enjoy it!
    WarChiefZeke
This discussion has been closed.