Skip to content

IWD Divine spells in BGEE, SoD and BG2EE

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    chimeric said:

Thanks. I got it now. If I may get into your discussion of SPELL.IDS, why do you want to bother with the IDS at all? You could just have them as scrolls in the game. Granted, clerics don't learn spells this way in the classic AD&D, and you are discussing priest spells here, but if IDS mechanics and slots really become an obstacle, why not change that? It could certainly work smoothly for wizard spells. I, for instance, don't intend to bother with that IDS at all for my wizard spells. Let people find the scrolls in the game, or, at the laziest, buy them. Casting them from a script with a RES seems preferable in every way, too.

That's an option, but the scope of this mod so far is just to add iwd spells to the other games
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Version 0.82
    - Added 7 7th level IWD spells that I missed. Oops!
    - Fixed a compatibility error with Spell Revisions. You shouldn't be getting those installation errors anymore.
    - Some bug fixes
    - Added an IWD wizard spell: icelance. I'll be adding a few wizard spells seemingly at random. It's not random as those spells are being used in Faiths and Powers. But, anyway, the plan is to add IWD wizard spells, so, I'm fine with that.

Cool beans, @Grammarsalad!

Are you adding the wizard spells as acquirable scrolls in BG1/SoD/BG2, or are they going to be limited to sorcerers?
    Ha! Yes, i need to add the scrolls. I actually haven't played the game in a while. I guess the way i play the game now is by modding. Anyway, what I'm saying is that i might need help by way of suggestions as to placement of said scrolls.
    For the BG1 portion, you could put a few scrolls at Thalantyr's and/or Sorcerous Sundries (up to 5th level).

For SoD, Sorcerous Sundries again (BDSORCSC.STO) and/or Nazramu (BDNAZRAM.STO) - again up to 5th level, since the XP cap is 500,000 (11th level mages don't get 6th level spells).

For BG2, Lady Yuth's store (SCROLLS.STO - up to 6th level), the scroll merchant in Ust Natha (UDDROW25.STO - up to 7th level), Ribald's "secret stash" (RIBALD3.STO - up to 8th level), and Arcana Archives (25SPELL.STO - up to 9th level).
    Grammarsalad
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @Grammarsalad Awesome man thanks!
    Grammarsalad
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    edited August 2016
    Well, I can think of a couple of small reasons to add any spell to the tables. The ability to choose from the full list of starting spells is one. Then, possibly, spell selection at level-up. Wizards be damned, but it's meat and drink to sorcerers. If I want my arcane spells to be available to sorcerers, I will have to give some serious thought to how.

For priests, though, at least one aspect of the IDS relationship - the getting of the spells - is easy to implement with through some kind of special ability. This goes along the line of what you called the #1 method of adding the spells - take them all away and then give back the appropriate ones. But, it seems to me, the giving could bypass 2da and IDS files completely and just put the spells directly in the character's "spellbook." You could call the ability, for example, Pray. It could look at the priest's level and, if the Global for that level is not set, set it and inscribe the new spells in the priest's "spellbook." Or make it more interesting - give everyone a holy symbol and make it a talking item. Conversing with your god a whole one time per level is not too much, I think.

As for how it would work, you could make this ability/holy symbol sort through the spells that the priest should be entitled to, according to his mythos. Treat those lists as spheres, if you like. For instance, you may decide that spells A, B, C are in the Protection sphere. Then, if the priest is supposed to have access to Protection (according to the kit used), the item, when prayed to, will check for the appropriate Global and add A, B, C to the repertoire, then check for the next sphere, and so on. If the Global is missing, the item skips the list and the priest gets no spells from that sphere. Otherwise he gets them all. Of course, for this to look seamless you'd have to put all of the priest spells, BG and IWD, in those lists, so that the priest must pray to get any spells, not just the new ones. Start the game - pray. Level up - pray. Not too difficult, adds flair and you could put any spells that work in the game at all in those lists, without any struggle with deeper mechanics and version conflicts.

Edit: it occurred to me now that you could even make the Pray ability trigger automatically at level-up, eliminating it completely from the interface.
    edited August 2016
    That is an excellent idea regarding IWDIfication. Maybe I should ask @CamDawg

@ronaldo and anybody else that just want the 7 extra spells, please see the attached. Let me know if you have any issues.

Edit: please note that this version of impervious sanctity of the mind lacks immunities to symbol:hopelessness and blood rage. This shouldn't be much of an issue as enemy casters won't cast the former--something i want to address down the line, but anyway-- and one can avoid exploiting the latter.

That's just for this quick and dirty 7_7th mod. You get the immunities from isotm in version 0.82
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited August 2016
    @Grammarsalad

My I ask how you gonna handle localized version of this mod? I would suggest to have some kind of second installation method for foreign languages which:
    1. Detect/ask about path for you localized IWD:EE copy of the game
    2. Search all spells and reads description
    3. Apply localized description which was taken from above process and set it as new spell description for BG2:EE spell

P.S. Since this mod is still in BETA, please rename tp2/folder to something more meaningful than "spells". Did you consider to reserve modders file/folder name prefix?
    That's an excellent idea! I'll do it as soon as I figure out how.

Yeah, the folder will get a new name. And yes, I have a prefix.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2016

For the BG1 portion, you could put a few scrolls at Thalantyr's and/or Sorcerous Sundries (up to 5th level).

For SoD, Sorcerous Sundries again (BDSORCSC.STO) and/or Nazramu (BDNAZRAM.STO) - again up to 5th level, since the XP cap is 500,000 (11th level mages don't get 6th level spells).

For BG2, Lady Yuth's store (SCROLLS.STO - up to 6th level), the scroll merchant in Ust Natha (UDDROW25.STO - up to 7th level), Ribald's "secret stash" (RIBALD3.STO - up to 8th level), and Arcana Archives (25SPELL.STO - up to 9th level).

Feldepost's Inn sells level 1 and 2 spells.
    High Hedge sells level 1, 2 and 3 spells.
    Ulgoth's Beard Inn sells level 4 and 5 spells.
    Sorcerous Sundries sells level 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 spells.

Ulgoth's Beard Inn feels a bit like a clutch, though. An easy way to include the new TotSC spells.

Thalantyr should probably sell most level 1-3 spells. Halbazzar Drin should probably sell most spells. Spells could also be added to the end of chapter loots for a little more diversity than "Walk up to storekeep, buy spells".
    Post edited by Thels on
    Grammarsalad
    @subtledoctor I agree that IWD requirements was bad idea. After some thinking, what I really want for this mod and Grammarsalad is to have a weidu code/script which will be executed by mod author before mod release and preform those task ONLY ONCE:

1. Detect/ask about path for you IWD:EE copy of the game
    2. Search all spells and reads description for all langues
    3. Generate translation files for spell description and place it into mod directory

So when new version of this 'IWDificationEE' mod will be released, all foreign description for spells could be created via one action.

Benefits: no translation work must be done (also when new IWD:EE patch will come and change some of the spells description)

Possible?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I would think that would be possible. Sounds like EET which asks for or detects your BGEE folder then starts using assets from it.
    Grammarsalad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    GrammarsaladALIEN

Grammarsalad, do you have a sense, or better yet a list, of which opcodes have references to text strings?

My sense: Oh man, a lot!

List:...

Uninstall IWDEE. Install IWDEE in a different language. Install the mod. Use the output for a different .tra file. Rinse and repeat.

That should not be required since IWD:EE already has dialog/F.tlk for every language inside. You need to reinstall mod using "--use-lang" command line switch for every language.
    Version 0.84
    - Added Acid Storm, Shadow monsters and Shades wizard spells.
    - I am aware that I still need to add wizard scrolls. That will come when I seriously start adding wizard spells. Right now, I'm just doing the minimum for faiths and powers mod.
    [Deleted User]rorikonALIEN
  • CiceroSoloCiceroSolo Member Posts: 4
    I can't get either this or IWDIFICATION working for my BG:EE. They both work for my BG2 though. What happens is it successfuly installs but then when you go to cleric or druid spells none of them are there except for Lethal Poison for cleric and Sleeping Potion for druid. There is no spell description for either. This is really frustrating. I use Steam. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

...I use Steam. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have modmerge installed?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Thinking about it, i think modmerge may be for sod only...it's been a while.

Do you have any other mods installed?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Is it compatible with spell revision mod?
    edited December 2016
    Danacm said:

Is it compatible with spell revision mod?

It should be. Install after sr, and let me know you have any issues
  • roshanroshan Member Posts: 10
    @Grammarsalad are you getting the spells from the original IWD, or from IWD Enhanced Edition?
    roshan said:

@Grammarsalad are you getting the spells from the original IWD, or from IWD Enhanced Edition?

Definitely the enhanced edition.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017
    First, I congratulate you for this awesome job and say thanks to @subtledoctor for recommending it.

Using SR + this mod (in this order) I've noted some issues":

1) All my healing spells were replaced for "regenerate" ones. Not a big issue and I don't even know if it is about your mod.

2) In the 7th circle there are two spells, Stalker and Summon Shambling Mound (this one from SR) that seems redundant. Stalker summons 2 11HD Shambling Mounds, and Summon Shambling Mound summons the same creature with 16HD (per spell description).

3) In the 3rd circle druids are gaining the spell "Favor of Ilmater". Isn't it a priest-exclusive spell?

4) I've noticed that some IWD spells were not available at the spellbook, despite being listed in EEKeeper. They are:

1st level: Sunscorch

3rd level: Spike Growth

4th level: Thorn Spray

5th level: Spike Stones

Hope it helps you somehow.
    Grammarsalad
    Raduziel said:

First, I congratulate you for this awesome job and say thanks to @subtledoctor for recommending it.

Using SR + this mod (in this order) I've noted some issues":

1) All my healing spells were replaced for "regenerate" ones. Not a big issue and I don't even know if it is about your mod.

2) In the 7th circle there are two spells, Stalker and Summon Shambling Mound (this one from SR) that seems redundant. Stalker summons 2 11HD Shambling Mounds, and Summon Shambling Mound summons the same creature with 16HD (per spell description).

3) In the 3rd circle druids are gaining the spell "Favor of Ilmater". Isn't it a priest-exclusive spell?

4) I've noticed that some IWD spells were not available at the spellbook, despite being listed in EEKeeper. They are:

1st level: Sunscorch

3rd level: Spike Growth

4th level: Thorn Spray

5th level: Spike Stones

Hope it helps you somehow.

This helps me immensely, @Raduzie. Thank you!

I'll be updating this mod soon (after fnp) and so these are the first things I'll check/fix.
    @Grammarsalad

Sometime this week I'll uninstall BGEE, clear the folder, to reinstall it with less mods (and using a better install order). Will use this occasion to check a pure + SR + IWD Spells install. I'll let you know if anything changes.
    GrammarsaladRaduzielCrevsDaak
    Mystery solved.
    Grammarsalad