Skip to content

IWD Divine spells in BGEE, SoD and BG2EE

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2017
    Did the clean install. SR + IWDSpells. Sunscorch showed up.

Will keep an eye for other spells as I advance in the game.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited January 2017
    Raduziel said:

Did the clean install. SR + IWDSpells. Sunscorch showed up.

Will keep an eye for other spells as I advance in the game.

Awesome. I appreciate it!

Edit: lol, i only mod these days. That's how i 'play the game', so playtest reports are very helpful!
    @Grammarsalad

I think there is something wrong with Sunscorch.

The spells description says that the damage is 2d6 plus 1d6 every two levels.

I'm level 3 now and the spell still doing 2d6 damage. The way I see should be 3d6 at level 3, 4d6 at level 5, 5d6 at level 7 and 6d6 at level 9, no?

And another thing about the same spell: Seems to me that the enemies are getting two saves vs. breath weapons (one for each d6 of damage). The log shows two saves vs. breath and one save vs. spell (to avoid the blindness effect). IDK if it was suppose to work this way. When someone blasts a Fireball there is only one save vs. spell (despite being a minimal of 5d6 damage).
    Raduziel said:

@Grammarsalad

I think there is something wrong with Sunscorch.

The spells description says that the damage is 2d6 plus 1d6 every two levels.

I'm level 3 now and the spell still doing 2d6 damage. The way I see should be 3d6 at level 3, 4d6 at level 5, 5d6 at level 7 and 6d6 at level 9, no?

And another thing about the same spell: Seems to me that the enemies are getting two saves vs. breath weapons (one for each d6 of damage). The log shows two saves vs. breath and one save vs. spell (to avoid the blindness effect). IDK if it was suppose to work this way. When someone blasts a Fireball there is only one save vs. spell (despite being a minimal of 5d6 damage).

The description might be ambiguous. When I read that, I read that it increases at level 2, 4, etc. However, one might instead read it as 'counting' from level 1 (i.e. 3, 5, etc.) However, I have caught myself using this description and sometimes iterating in the first sense, and other times iterating in the second sense. It strikes me now that it is best to specify exactly when the increase happens (e.g. '+1d6 at 2nd level, and every 2 levels after that'). I'll see about clarifying spell descriptions in the future.

One thing, though: do you have SR installed? If so, then this mod should not install the IWD version of any spell that SR adds, including Sunscorch. My thinking is that if you installed SR, then you want the SR versions of the spells. I know that I do. Anyway, that description looks like it doesn't conform to either spells description (both should be +1dam/level, and the save should be vs. spells, I think). Maybe this is a newer (SR) version of the spell that I'm not familiar with, in which case it is best to let @Demivrgvs know that the spell description is ambiguous.

The two save types vs. breath definitely seem like a bug. In any case, I'll definitely double check this spell.
    I've installed SR before this mod, as you instructed in an early post.

Well, I'll just skip this spell until the double-save thing is reviewed. Is not uncommon to deliver one point of fire damage only, and it doesn't worth a spell slot.

Thanks!
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    edited January 2017
    @Grammarsalad summons Demi: I'm not sure why @Raduziel is getting two different saves vs breath, but I've checked and for every spell lvl one of the two xd6 dmg headers doesn't have any save.

When it comes to the spell description, I can make it more clear yes, but generally it work like this:
    - every 2 lvls means lvl 2, 4, 6, etc.
    - every 2 extra lvls means every odd lvl starting from when you get the spell (e.g. if it's a 3rd lvl spell you get it at lvl 5, thus it would upgrade at lvls 7, 9, 11, etc.)

Regarding the low dmg output, I guess it's because at 3rd lvl you get only 1d6 dmg if the enemy makes the save. That's how every spell using a +1dx upgrade works because I cannot truly split a single d6 in half.
    edited January 2017
    IDK if the Vampiric Wolf in considered an undead. I'm a lv 4 druid now (so 3D6... 6D6 against undeads).

Well... 1 fire damage again. And no "double-save" this time.

---

@Grammarsalad The Spike Growth is OK. I'll keep looking for the others.

Post edited by Raduziel on
    @Raduziel Vampiric Wolves are indeed undead creatures, that's probably why you get 2 separate saves (one for standard dmg one for the additional dmg vs undead) even though you should see only one of them imo considering they are made with the same save (no penalty).

That being said, I have no clue why you are getting 1 point of dmg. The spell looks fine and plenty of players used it for ages without issues. @Grammarsalad @Aasim @semiticgod can any of you reproduce this issue on your install?
    @Demivrgvs

The "double-save" occurs with other creatures, not only with undeads. Happened, for example, with the "Bandit Caravan Leader" from BG1NPCProject, with Tarnesh, and others.

And I agree about the first premisse, it's double damage, should be only one save.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

We should clarify, is this SR's version of Sunscorch? @Grammarsalad is there a check to not install the IWDEE version if the SR version is present?

I'm playing SR shoehorned into *actual* IWDEE and Sunscorch seems to work fine, though I confess I'm not 100% sure which version is used by the Faiths & Powers sphere system. Usually I default to using SR spells... I'll double-check and report back.

There should be a check to not install sunscorch if sr is installed. That is, this should be just the sr spell.

@Demivrgvs

I will see if i can reproduce the issue. I can't right now, though. Migraine. Bright lights ( even the light of my phone) is too much right now.

One thing: I haven't updated this mod since your last update, so maybe there is an issue there. Are you using ADD_SPELL, yet? If so, I'll need to update this mod asap
    I'm this close of writing a collaborative economy essay using this forum as an object of study.

You guys are awesome.
    @Demivrgvs

First thing: My mod doesn't appear to touch Sunscorch if SR is installed. That is good....but

I get two saves as well vs. illegal targets. Looking at the actual file, there is no reason that Elvenhair should be saving vs. breath twice. There is a 177 applied to Undead that forces a save, but I double checked his file, and he isn't classified as undead...yet

The way I see, even an undead shouldn't be allowed to double-save.

IDK if I can express myself clearly, specially without being a native english speaker, but double damage is not the same as twice-the-damage. It's not like I'm casting the spell twice, only that the spell have an empowered effect against some kind of target.
    edited January 2017
    Raduziel said:

The way I see, even an undead shouldn't be allowed to double-save.

IDK if I can express myself clearly, specially without being a native english speaker, but double damage is not the same as twice-the-damage. It's not like I'm casting the spell twice, only that the spell have an empowered effect against some kind of target.

It's a limitation of the engine. Even in the EEs, where one can save for half damage with a single effect, there needs to be an additional affect to give that extra damage to undead. Assuming that extra damage is also save for half, the engine will make an additional save*. Two effects with saves, two save rolls.

Edit: not always. See below

*Though, note that the roll will always be the same for the same save type. It's not an accident above that Elvenhair saved vs. breath with a 10 twice.

Edit: also, even though it makes the save for the extra effects, it is not applying the damage illegally. I also did 1 point of damage to Elvenhair once, so he is not being affected by the effect that targets undead without a save...
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    @kjeron thanks man, I was guessing the same but I would have never bet on it. Time to fix it.

@Grammarsalad can you reproduce any problem with the dmg output of the spell like @Raduziel seemed to have?

Edit: also, even though it makes the save for the extra effects, it is not applying the damage illegally. I also did 1 point of damage to Elvenhair once, so he is not being affected by the effect that targets undead without a save...

A Vampiric Wolf taking 1 damage from 3D6 (technically 6D6) proofs that the damage is being applied incorrectly, no?

Raduziel said:

A Vampiric Wolf taking 1 damage from 3D6 (technically 6D6) proofs that the damage is being applied incorrectly, no?

Yeah, that definitely isn't right. I'll take a look when i can
    edited January 2017
    1) AFAIK the vampiric wolf have no resistance vs. fire. And IIRC any damage resistance shows in the log "Takes X fire damage (Y resisted)".

2) Nothing was affecting the die rolls. The only effect I had at the time was Non-Detection.

3) Here follows the spell description taken in game:

Just noticed that the spell description doesn't say anything about save vs. spell. The way the text says is save vs. breath to avoid the full damage and being blinded for 1 round.

And by the way, thanks @Grammarsalad for this awesome mod. The druid now is something to be feared and respected, being on pair with others spellcasters in the game. My problem now is to select some of those awesome spells to use.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The SR version is setup to deal 1d6 no save + 2d6 breath save at level 3, so it can deal just '1' damage on a successful save, against non-Undead. An Undead should always show at least 2 lines of damage, but again each could still be just '1' damage.
    Just checked and the race for the Vampiric Wolf is "Wolf".
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Vampiric Wolves were changed to General class 4 - UNDEAD in the EEs (sometime before EE 2.x, see below). So, EFFs targeting GENERAL.IDS = 4 should work on Vampiric Wolves (in BGEE).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44919/dread-wolves-should-be-undead
    Raduziel said:

And by the way, thanks @Grammarsalad for this awesome mod. The druid now is something to be feared and respected, being on pair with others spellcasters in the game. My problem now is to select some of those awesome spells to use.

That's great, exactly the sort of thing i was going for! I have a few planned additions to this mod.

As you probably know, i will also be adding iwdee arcane spells. When this is done and stable, I plan at least 2 more components:

1) Revised spells. Many spells are great, but others need a little something. Sometimes this means an upgrade, sometimes a downgrade. Now, generally speaking, I'm not touching spells revised in spell revisions. There are exceptions as i want to introduce an alternate line of healing ( and harm) spells that heal based on maximum recipient hit points rather than a set amount. The philosophy here is basically the same as spell revisions in that i want all spells of a given level to be similar in power and usability, and that i want all spells to be ( more or less) usable throughout the game. For the latter, think of magic missile. Great spell, usable through even tob.

Anyway, each single revision ( or sets like the cure revisions) will be individually selectable as I'm sure not all will be to everyone's taste.

2) New spells. The plan is to add a bunch of new spells. Many of these spells have already been created ( and some can be found in fnp), but many need polishing. There is no real overriding philosophy, here; I'm just creating spells that seem fun and interesting..

I actually have more ideas, like I'd like to patch various enemy scripts so they use these new spells, and I'm thinking about doing zero level cantrips/orisons, maybe add some bard/shaman songs/dances, etc, but right now I'm not quite there.
    Guys,

Spike Growth description says that the target can possible take "1 point of bleeding damage each round for 3 rounds". It's actually poison.

IDK if the problem is the spell description or the effect applied.
    Raduziel said:

Guys,

Spike Growth description says that the target can possible take "1 point of bleeding damage each round for 3 rounds". It's actually poison.

IDK if the problem is the spell description or the effect applied.

Awesome. Keep up the investigation @Raduziel

I think this might be a spell revisions issue, but I'll investigate more fully in the near future. Where i find issues with sr, I'll report them to demi.

Seriously, this is a great help
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Grammarsalad, @Raduziel - Sounds like SR. IWD Divine Spells has the following description:

"This spell transforms the surrounding terrain into spiky plants. Any creature entering the area takes 1d4 points of piercing damage and 1d4 points of slashing damage every round until the spell expires."

It also correctly uses SLASHING and PIERCING damage.