Skip to content

Basic game tips (for new players!)

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I don't remember how the save throws worked, please include it in the post.
  • MachineOfLightMachineOfLight Member Posts: 15
    maybe this should be moved to the 'Help for new players' section?
    mch202rodneyandsteptoe
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

maybe this should be moved to the 'Help for new players' section?

@Tanthalas
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Done
    mch202elminster
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Might be an idea to mention Speed factor of weapons (which is actually "who hits first", not how many APR's)

Also in regards to Charisma, in BG1 it also reduces the hostility between party members, possible avoiding lethal fights in the party.
  • araisiaraisi Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012

I don't remember how the save throws worked, please include it in the post.

IIRC saving throw works just like THAC0, the lower number the better, but you have to roll against spellcaster level+main attribute score+spell level

Each spell affect different kind of saving throw for example: charm spell needs to be countered by Will saving throw, while fireball countered by reflex saving throw.

Each class have different saving throw progression as well. Thief have better reflex, Mage have better will, Fighter classes have better constitution (I forgot what the saving throw called)

Edit: I was wrong on saving throw type: Reflex, will and fortitude was used in DnD 3 but not BG
    Baldur's Gate Saving Throw type is: Death/Wand/Poly/Breath/Spell
    Death counters Death and Negative plane Spell
    Wand counters Spell cast from wand
    Poly counters Polymorph Spell
    Breath counters Dragon Breath and the like (perhaps cloudlike spell and fireball incl.
    Spell counters most other.
    Post edited by araisi on
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2012
    Very nice, I've been a player for 13 years and I don't think it would hurt me to give a lot of that a good read through.
    And to all new players, I hope you learn to love Baldur's gate like I do, It really is my favorite game of all time, this coming from somebody who plays, and has played a lot of games.
    I also hope anybody who happens across this game in a marketplace (be it Andriod iOS or the Mac store) wont be disappointed, being too "spoiled" by new games, without really trying to get into the spirit of this one.
    jontycampbell
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Pause a lot
    Medillen
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Experiment with the auto-pause function to find what works best for you. I like to have 'pause when enemy sighted' and 'pause when trap detected' set.
    Medillentmaso
  • Brianna29Brianna29 Member Posts: 2
    This was so helpful! As someone who started playing the game as a 6 year old, (I would "help" my dad, I'm sure I was very useful) I'm 19 now and I recently got back into it and this is great, thank you!
    MedullaOblongataSciobtha
  • hellhoundhellhound Member Posts: 33
    darts of stunning/wounding were one of my favourite tools in BG ! my fighters would throw them at enemy spellcasters and other problematic enemies at the start of a battle.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    AutoPause is amazing. I keep mine set to:

Enemy Sighted
    Trap Spotted
    Weapon Unusable

If you're new to the game you might want to set it to pause every round. Controlling 6 characters at once can be daunting when just starting out, so slowing combats down like that can help a lot.
    tmaso
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Here's a few tips for newcomers to the game -

Save often! explore all maps and buildings thoroughly...

Save often! - speak to everyone with a name and to a somewhat lesser degree speak to those who don't as well (commoner, noble, etc) you'll be glad you did...

Save often! - consider staying away from any forums that include spoilers unless you are seriously stuck and even then think twice before entering...

SAVE OFTEN! - and not just quick-saves either - do regular "real saves" too so you can backtrack farther when needed. There is going to be well over 100 hours of gameplay between the start and the final battle - if you are not playing iron-man you may find yourself wanting some options for redoing the occasional section without starting completely over.

Oh and finally - don't forget to ......wait for it......oh I guess you get it by now... *

*(save often!)
    tmaso
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited October 2012
    Do Intelligence and Wisdom influence dialog options making possible to gain more experience?
    Xorina
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    If they do it will be so rare as to be non-existant. I think throughout the whole of the BG Saga there may be a handful of such instances.
    rede9
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    decado said:

If they do it will be so rare as to be non-existant. I think throughout the whole of the BG Saga there may be a handful of such instances.

It would be useful if these dialog options be [marked] like Kotor2 or colored differently.

• saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    don't play if you have had a drink , I did once got stuck then wiped my progress , had to start again , and it may sound like save.save.save is the over used ..but you will come to rely on it at times , hope this helps
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    Get a bunch of different saves, you don't know the outcome of actions upfront a lot of the times and some consequences are serious. You don't want to restart the entire game because you killed a quest giver by mistake or dropped your reputation too low.
    It's not a bad idea to have one save for the start of each chapter. It sucks to have to redo a whole chapter but it's better than a whole game.
    Kristie83
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    rede9 said:

Do Intelligence and Wisdom influence dialog options making possible to gain more experience?

High scores in one or the other can give you more dialogue options here and there. If this ultimately influences your xp score I do not know (probably not much, if at all); however, it certainly adds a few good laughs.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    Save, Save, and Save. You can lose your progress if you do not save at all. That's the most important tip. Save even when your exploring new areas.

Have your thief scout out dungeons for traps and encounters before rushing in. Rushing in during dungeon exploring isn't wise.

Watch your rep with your alignment. If your evil yeah just be wary of low rep since groups would be killing you. Same being good if your planning on doing an evil action especially being an paladin.

Remember cloth is the ONLY way your Wizard can cast spells.

Pause at the start of battle, during tough spots and just pause when you feel like it.

Finally Explore the entire area and if you must save, save and save. See the first tip.

I hope it helps.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Fenton said:

Save, Save, and Save. You can lose your progress if you do not save at all. That's the most important tip. Save even when your exploring new areas.

Have your thief scout out dungeons for traps and encounters before rushing in. Rushing in during dungeon exploring isn't wise.

Having a good scout is essential for the way I play
    Fenton said:

Watch your rep with your alignment. If your evil yeah just be wary of low rep since groups would be killing you. Same being good if your planning on doing an evil action especially being an paladin.

Remember cloth is the ONLY way your Wizard can cast spells.

Although a dual or mutliclass mage can use a shield and wear a helmet and still cast. Also there are robes that help AC and in BG2 armour that a fighter/mage can cast spells whilst wearing
    Fenton said:

Pause at the start of battle, during tough spots and just pause when you feel like it.

Setting the autopause settings appropriately is a big help here
    Fenton said:

Finally Explore the entire area and if you must save, save and save. See the first tip.

I hope it helps.

Oh yes, make sure you SAVE often! :-)

Go into Options and set your Auto Pause how you want it. I usually go, Enemy Spotted, Weapon Unusable, Character Dead. There are more options. If you are having a really hard time, set it to pause at the end of each round. You can see how the fights develop and you'll get an idea as to how to orchestrate things with less pausing. It's not a bad thing to toggle on when doing big boss encounters either. "End of round one. Has the dragon eaten me yet? No? Good."
    Did someone mention SAVE OFTEN?

and in different slots for different stages, you may only realise you've cocked something up later...
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    Go on gamefaqs.com and read Dan Simpson's guides. Go on gamebanshee.com to the baldur's gate section and follow the walkthrough (with pictures!) there. You also have a complete item and npc guide available, with locations on where to find them and all. Best advice i can give you.
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Boooo. Don't read the walkthroughs. I feel that would ruin the whole experience.
    My tip is to play through on your own. Enjoy the story. Take your time. And Buttkick for Goodness!
    Oxford_Guynoodles_tooCommunard
    PinkRose said:

Boooo. Don't read the walkthroughs. I feel that would ruin the whole experience.
    My tip is to play through on your own. Enjoy the story. Take your time. And Buttkick for Goodness!

Volothamp's guide is safe to read, has lots of tips but is pretty much spoiler-free

http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/bgguide.htm
    jontycampbell
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Don't worry about anything. Just play the game and have fun. Reading hints and tips will just ruin the experience. BG is a very balanced game world, any character and party combination of ANY level can win the game. It all comes down to how you want to play. It's very open ended and there is always more than one way to finish a quest.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2012
    Save often , remember where the space bar is as you'll be on it a lot , some-one said multi save http://forum.baldursgate.com/profile/12495/awin123 gave some good advice there , do not drink before playing as you forget things and wipe others , enjoy it as you WILL do all of these(may be not drink) and have fun
  • SpectreStatusSpectreStatus Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Winthal said:

I would not recommend the monk for Baldur's Gate 1 since monks only become powerful during mid to late-game in BG2/Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Does this means that Rasaad isn't any good in BG1:EE?