Skip to content

modmerge: merge your Steam/GOG zip based DLC into something Weidu/NearInfinity/DLTCEP can use.

Comments

• scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Hi!

I am a bit confused.... once I download and run the modmerge in my BGEE folder.... what do I do then? Am I able to install my mods as per normal? Or does it have be done a special way?

Seems like SoD brought a bunch of issues...
    BelgarathMTH
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Yes, if you've run modmerge, your game is in a state where you can now install WeiDU mods normally.
    brunardo
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Mac user here, I have just downloaded a file named "modmerge" ( no extension) and placed it beside the chitin.key file.... What I am supposed to do now? ( I mean, I can open it with TextEdit but it is not executable.....)
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @ScottBrooks Thanks!
  • KykuyKykuy Member Posts: 30
    So after the modmerge the game just reverts to a non-SoD(e.g no interface changes and can't start the SoD campaign since its icon is to longer present in main menu). Is this okay? If yes, then what is the point of this tool if you can simply not install SoD in the first place?
    GoG version. My deepest excuses if this was mentioned before, meant no offense with my post.
    No, something's gone wrong with your installation. After modmerge, you should still be able to play SoD. Modmerge is just supposed to move the SoD game assets from the DLC .zip file and add them to the game's override so you can use WeiDU to mod your game further.
  • KykuyKykuy Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2016
    Ive done the complete reinstall of game + mods and it seems to be okay now(no bugged item descriptions, SoD interface, can start SoD campaign), but a few issues suddenly came up oO For example, the localization mysteriously switched to Russian, and game resolution changed to larger.

Just to be sure, thats what ive done.

1. Installed BGEE
    2. Installed SoD
    3. Installed Modmerge
    4. Installed mods.

Seems to be done correctly, right? I still dunno how to return my previous resolution though.

EDIT. Oh, it seems like ive just forgotten to put the flag on "Shrink UI" setting. Now it seems good.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    edited October 2016
    So...
    I installed BG1:EE+SoD v. 2.3 no problem. I then modded it with the Tweaks Anthology.
    I started playing BG1:EE and it was working fine. I did notice that a few of the item descriptions had been replaced with some weird dialogue but I soldiered on because the changes I had made with the mod was working as intended. I then got to the SoD part of the game and suddenly all the mod changes broke and was no longer working.
    Hoping that a clean install of BG1:EE+SoD followed by modmerge followed by Tweaks Anthology will be enough to keep the mod changes during SoD?

EDIT: Perhaps the mod creators could note in all their mods that modmerge needs to be installed if used on GoG/Steam with SoD.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Lifat: That was only required since 2.0 came out. Quite a few modders do mention it, because it's something a lot of people run into, but some older mods are obviously not updated, and even with newer mods, those that run the Beamdog version may not be aware.
    JuliusBorisov
  • scorosinscorosin Member Posts: 6
    your a life saver m8!
  • NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I just want to ask a quick question in regard to installing mods post-modmerge installation. If I decide to uninstall mods currently being used or install new ones, so long as I do not create a fresh install of the game (i.e. leave modmerge exactly as it is now), I shouldn't have any issues using the mods, right?

I would just assume yes based on what I've read, but given the issues I initially had getting modmerge to work properly, I'm hesitant to do anything that might mess things up again...

Sorry to revive this thread, but I just want to ask a quick question in regard to installing mods post-modmerge installation. If I decide to uninstall mods currently being used or install new ones, so long as I do not create a fresh install of the game (i.e. leave modmerge exactly as it is now), I shouldn't have any issues using the mods, right?

I would just assume yes based on what I've read, but given the issues I initially had getting modmerge to work properly, I'm hesitant to do anything that might mess things up again...

Copy your newly modmerged installation to another location and mod it there. That way, your unmodded game stays clean. If you want to do a major mod change, don't even bother with uninstalling/reinstalling mods, just make another copy of your baseline and install your new mod setup.
    NightingaleJuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited March 2017
    Alonso said:

What is modmerge and what does it do?
    I don't know the meanings of the words Weidu, NearInfinity or DLTCEP, so any useful answer will either avoid those words or use them after explaining their meaning.

I noticed that nobody has answered your query. I am not the best person to do so, but here goes as well as I can.

Weidu is a way of writing mods to make them compatible with each other. If you install non-weidu mods don't be surprised if you have problems with mod compatability.

NearInfinity is a program which tries to emulate the Infinity Engine. (The engine that runs BG, BG2, IWD etc)
    It is a useful tool to modders.

I have no idea what DLTCEP means either. Perhaps it's Dave Lee Travis covered Extended Players. :D Knowing who Dave Lee Travis is and what an EP is shows my age. :D
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    JuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Alonso said:

What is modmerge and what does it do?
    I don't know the meanings of the words Weidu, NearInfinity or DLTCEP, so any useful answer will either avoid those words or use them after explaining their meaning.

I noticed that nobody has answered your query. I am not the best person to do so, but here goes as well as I can.

Weidu is a way of writing mods to make them compatible with each other. If you install non-weidu mods don't be surprised if you have problems with mod compatability.

NearInfinity is a program which tries to emulate the Infinity Engine. (The engine that runs BG, BG2, IWD etc)
    It is a useful tool to modders.
    That's actually GemRB that tries to emulate the Infinity Engine. NearInfinity is a cross-platform game file editor/browser for Infinity Engine games.

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki
    I have no idea what DLTCEP means either. Perhaps it's Dave Lee Travis covered Extended Players. :D Knowing who Dave Lee Travis is and what an EP is shows my age. :D
    DLTCEP is short for DragonLance Total Conversion Editor Pro. It is also a game file editor/browser for Infinity Engine games.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @BillyYank and @AstroBryGuy Thanks, those answers have given me a lot more insight, and more importantly answer Alonso's queries perfectly so long as he has a reasonably good grasp of computing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    B)
    My SoD version is from GOG. I then downloaded my mods into the installation folder, ran Modmerge and installed my mods.

However, new mods are coming along all the time. What do I need to do to install an additional mod?
    I never install mods when I've got a game going, it almost always messes things up. I copy my installation directory to someplace else, then mod it there. If I want to try out another mod, I'll just make a new copy of the original game and mod that new directory. I usually have at least 2 working setups in addition to the original game directory going at any one time.
    BillyYank said:

I never install mods when I've got a game going, it almost always messes things up. I copy my installation directory to someplace else, then mod it there. If I want to try out another mod, I'll just make a new copy of the original game and mod that new directory. I usually have at least 2 working setups in addition to the original game directory going at any one time.

I have already done as you suggested, and for the same reasons. What I am not sure about is whether I need to:
    1) Run modmerge again before installing the new mods, or
    2) Whether everything that needs to be done has already been done with the result that I only need to install the new mods on top of that copied installation.
    If you ran modmerge before you copied, then you shouldn't need to run it again. I'm not sure what else you're talking about in your second question.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited March 2017
    BillyYank said:

If you ran modmerge before you copied, then you shouldn't need to run it again. I'm not sure what else you're talking about in your second question.

You've answered everything that I need to know. Thank you. :) I am delighted with the answer too.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the only time you need to use mod merge again is if there is an update as it rezips everrything.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • TizTTizT Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone!

So, I just purchased the dlc. When I modded everything without the modmerger, everything seemed to work... except the dialogue in bg1npc were off. Of course, I learnt about the modmerger, uninstalled the bg1npc, used the modmerger, re-installed...

and my game doesn't start anymore. It is there if I go in task manager, but it doesn't start. Also, when I try to install mods like verssza, which has a dlc component, it says the chitin.key lacks some line, sodrace.2da. I am not sure if the two things are connected...

Can somebody help me? Thanks!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
    I've moved my sod-dlc.zip file into the DLC directory of my GOG install, and ran the merger in my root directory. It's saying "No sod-dlc.key found, attempting to extract sod-dlc" which is what I assume is supposed to happen. It's been stuck on the 'extracting files' portion for a while though, like 5 minutes or longer. Should I just manually unzip it myself with 7zip, or is this normal?
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Unionhack The very first sentence in this topic is "Updated to 1.1 to look for sod-dlc.zip where GOG puts it."
    Did you try without moving anything?
    UnionhackJuliusBorisov
  • UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
    I let it run for a bit and it ended up working fine, just turns out I was simply being impatient. My bad!
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • RobinHood70RobinHood70 Member Posts: 11
    I've found a bug in CHARSND.2DA after modmerge is run, but since I don't know how exactly it's generated, I'm not sure whether it's a problem in modmerge or in the DLC data itself. So, here's what it is, and I'll let you guys figure out where the problem lies. :smiley:

After running modmerge from a fresh Steam install of BGEE, in CHARSND.2DA, column MALE8, rows 8 and 20, the sound ID for both is 68739. Row 8 should actually be 68738. Even updating this with NI, though, I then get the right sound for boredom, but not the right text, which is still the severely wounded text. Not sure how to fix that.
    JuliusBorisovhook71