Skip to content

Beserker>Druid or Avenger Druid?

Time for another no-reload challenge.

Want to have a Druid-based character. But torn between a Beserker>Druid (dual'd at level 7 or 9), or an Avenger.

Which do you guys think will be more fun? Which would be stronger?

The thing that appeals to me the most for the Avenger is Web. But how late into the game does Web + Spider shapeshift remain viable as a strategy? And is the loss of armours beyond leather really very punishing?

What appeals to me the most about the Beserker>Druid is the use of things like Belm, and the synergy of combat bonuses. But something irks me about not having any good level 1/2 Druidic spells.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Go with Avenger, one of the better casters in the game. Though I am also biased against dual classing.
    CrevsDaak
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    if you start from BG1, you can dual from avenger to fighter too. it's a strong build because you have iron skins and get fighter hlas, and some very usable spells - chromatic orb to replace bad druid lvl1 spells, web to replace useless lvl2 spells, lightning bolt (good), improved invisibility (awesome, and you get TONS of slots so you can use it all the time), chaos (just awesome), chain lightning (mediocre, but fun; anyway druid lvl6 spells are great on their own)

if you start from BG2, this option isn't realistically available
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    While Web may be one of the big kings of BG1, I find it fairly mediocre in BG2. Raw power is where it's at there, meaning Berserker 9 -> Druid is likely the strongest out of your given options.
    imho sacrificing HLAs is not worth the Berserker kit
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    bob_veng said:

if you start from BG2, this option isn't realistically available

Is this because of the -2 penalty to strength?
    yes
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've been playing an Avenger through BG1, and I've been having a blast. Berserker->Druid might be the most optimal (after Totemic Druid->Fighter, which is definitely the best for both games, given how strong the Totemic Druid's summons are in BG1, and how little of a loss being a Totemic Druid means), but IMO playing with a Fighter class in BG1 is pretty boring. Totemic->F is a good option tho, maybe not as strong as an Avenger past level 7, but definitely stronger earlier on (and, it's way better in a party than an Avenger IMO).
    JuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    bob_veng said:

imho sacrificing HLAs is not worth the Berserker kit

What Fighter HLAs do you need, though? GWW is replaced by natural 5 APR (since Druids CAN use a +APR weapon), Hardiness is replaced by Iron Skins. Is there anything else worth taking? And Berserker Rage is quite useful thanks to the handy immunities against all sorts of nastiness.
    luskan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Lord_Tansheron
    uhhm is that a trick question? how about critical strike? and add in the advantage of 11 additional fighter levels. druid levels past 12 are so expensive and not worth it. especially as avenger, you have so many good spells that you don't need lvl7 spells and high wisdom ensures you have so many slots at lvl 12 that the increase in spellcasting ability is marginal

but druid hlas aren't crap either. so i'd say both combinations are good, it's hard to compare them. berserker- is more defensive and avenger- is more an offensive fighter with stoneskins and some auxilliary spellpower. with the former you'd want another warrior with more oomph in the party (mazzy, sarevok) and with the latter you'd want another defensive type, a berserker ideally (korgan)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Did they ever fix it so that the Avenger's spider form is immune to Web? Because it used to not be.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Did they ever fix it so that the Avenger's spider form is immune to Web? Because it used to not be.

Quite a long time ago :)