Skip to content

Dealing with trolls in Dragon's Eye? Should I have more gold by now?

rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
Have a party of four (Berserker, Totemic Druid, Swashbuckler, Sorcerer.) I'm in Dragon's Eye and those stupid trolls and some spiders that need fire to kill them are annoying. My swash that acts as an archer only has about 15 fire arrows and about the same in acid arrows. I'm about to EE Keeper burning hands on my Sorc (since I took Chromatic orb, identify, grease, and magic missile so far) Have about 6 jugs of that burning oil you can pick up.
When looking at a walk through on gameBanshee they mention picking up trollkiller back in Kuldahar, but that costs about 36K and I only have 13K right now. Should I have more by this point?

Just wondering how others deal with the trolls at this (seemingly) rather early point in the game?

I know people manage to solo this game with pretty much every type of class, makes me even more curious how they're doing it if they don't have a fire/acid damage weapon? Is there some place people go to grind some mobs for money before entering dragon's eye?

Thanks

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Usually arrows and jugs of burning oil should be enough. Just uyse them to finish trolls, not to harm them.

Having 13k gold at that stage is fine.

You can use Flame Blade spell by your druid. For a sorcerer you can choose fire/acid spells for the 2nd level.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Chromatic Orb deals acid damage from level 10 onwards. Never played the whole game so no idea around what level your party is, but it deals a good amount of acid damage and it's a level 1 spell.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    There are also a few areas where you can funnel them to you. I found the spell Spike Growth to be really effective at weakening enemies quickly so you can finish them off and mop them up with the oil and arrows.
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    Thanks guys! Good stuff.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Knock a couple of them down next to each other. Then you can use one bottle of oil to killshot more than one troll at a time. If you knock down a couple of trolls in a bottleneck, the others can't reach you so you can kill them with missile weapons.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    and pick scimitar prof for your druid next chance you get - there are more trolls later, so flame blade will be indispensable.

If anyone has skill with it, there's also the Trollslayer weapon for later. I believe it's a Longsword, but I could be wrong.
  • MeandreMeandre Member Posts: 38
    Pokota said:

and pick scimitar prof for your druid next chance you get - there are more trolls later, so flame blade will be indispensable.
    [...]

Oh, did they change this with EE?
    I know that in the original Icewind Dale, the only proficiency/weapon spell combo that worked was Star Metal Cludge, which used the Club proficiency.

It would be nice if the proficiencies applied to all spells - moon blade, deka, spiritual hammer...

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    It may have been the result of a mod I was using, but I did have an easier time with flame blade after taking Scimitar.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm pretty certain that all summoned weapons act as if proficient, regardless of proficiency.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.