Skip to content

BG:EE fails to launch

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
When I try to start BG:EE, the launcher fails, producing this message:

More details about my situation:

1. As for mods, I thought I had SCS installed on BG:EE, but trying to uninstall SCS (to fix the above problem) found that the mod was not installed at all.
2. Before trying to launch the game, I installed three of my own custom kit mods, one of which required copying the K_M_H.2da and similar mage kit tables from BG2:EE, because they were filled with random junk:

However, the problem persisted even after I uninstalled those three mods. It also persisted after I removed the .2da files I copied from BG2:EE. Also, all three kit mods were fully functional with BG2:EE. So I don't think they're the problem here.
3. I've gotten BG:EE and SOD working fine before. This is a new problem.
4. BG2:EE and IWD:EE are working fine. This problem only shows up for BG:EE.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Try renaming your baldur.lua to see if the game launches with a clean version, you could also try temporarily renaming your override folder to see what happens without any mod content.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Gate70: I tried renaming my override folder; no effect.

How do I find my baldur.lua file? I only see baldur.gam in the override folder and Baldur the application, plus an engine.lua file. Renaming those files has no effect (though renaming the second one produces a slightly different error message on startup).
    Hi, it will be in your documents -> baldur's gate - enhanced edition folder
    @Gate70: I renamed the baldur.lua file to baldur1.lua. I also named a separate baldur -original.lua to baldur -original1.lua. Still no luck.
    OK. I think you may need to remove the game and re-install (or try verify files if using Steam)
    @Gate70: Success! Thank you! I uninstalled the game via Steam and reinstalled it. The game now launches properly.