Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• RageCasterRageCaster Member Posts: 7
    Oooh noooo , very bad news to me .
    I am thinking ,is this delay related to the release of IPad mini on Oct ? Do you want to make a version for iPad mini ?
  • benighted_starlightbenighted_starlight Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2012
    This made me feel disappointed rather than angry but there are more good reasons than bad to ignore that feeling. For once it's gonna be a more stable and polished version of BG, then there's that little matter of passing that last subject I have left for my exams and work on my thesis so in retrospect I think it's for the best... :P

Btw has anybody else noticed that November 30 was the release date of the original Baldur's Gate back in '98?

Cool deja-vu...
    Vonbek777sionkingcrowley
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135

This made me feel disappointed rather than angry but there are more good reasons than bad to ignore that feeling. For once it's gonna be a more stable and polished version of BG, then there's that little matter of passing that last subject I have left for my exams and work on my thesis so in retrospect I think it's for the best... :P

Btw has anybody else noticed that November 30 was the release date of the original Baldur's Gate back in '98?

Cool deja-vu...

Nice piece of trivia nostalgia, let's hope they don't wait til 2013 for a 15th Anniversary release. ;)
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75

So maybe they want to do something like 14 anniversary! But you can't divide it by 5... So maybe 15 anniversary, but this would be November 30 of 2013... ]:->

jpierce55
  • @ThimGrim I am confused as to why the release date should be dependent upon a perfect division by 5 :P
  • FornostFornost Member Posts: 42
    True, a demo would be nice to ease the pain.
    Would be cool to for everyone to try it out and it would get a lot more audience if it wouldn't be beamdog exclusive. Explore a little bit outside the Candlekeep maybe and stuff like that
    darrenkuoIkonNavros
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012
    @fornost

oooh, maybe add lilarcor as a special guest cameo? nerfed, of course. would be funny, kinda like the xenogears demo. Not sure if anyone played it, but you went through the first map with bart and elly on the side, and they were making fun of the game. example:

Bart: 'What are we doing here? You're not supposed to meet me til much later in the game where i'll be kicking ass and chewing bubble gum. Yeah, I'm soooo awesome."

Elly: "Geez, this is just the demo bart. We're here to show off extra game content and add a little extra eye candy."

Bart: "Oooooh, now that you mention it, you are pretty."

Elly: "Sorry, only Fei gets to romance me, but ONLY IF YOU BUY THE FULL GAME!!!!"

Fei: "........i knew i should have taken that final fantasy job......"

edit: i went out and bought the game THAT same day
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2012
    Fornost said:

True, a demo would be nice to ease the pain.
    Would be cool to for everyone to try it out and it would get a lot more audience if it wouldn't be beamdog exclusive. Explore a little bit outside the Candlekeep maybe and stuff like that

I agree,

If the demo is availabe , there are many people can erase the pain from push back case..

But don't forget BG-EE developers are only around 10 people or a little bit more.. if they don't have this kind of resources or man power , i would rather they focus on final product version , don't waste too much time to wave our wound heart ...

I just read Ice Dale 2 guide few mintues ago .. it has 152 page content ..

10 people handle cross platforms , source code , UI , bug fixed , new content , etc... i suddenly feel we may too optimistic for their develop progress...

Bjjorick
  • MuzzleMuzzle Member Posts: 5
    I'm really disappointed about the delay. The 18th is my birthday and I got the pre-order as a gift. It was likely already said but with a delay my tolerance for any bugs is greatly reduced so I hope the extra time really lets them make it near perfect.

Throw is a bone on the 18th though - screenshots, maps, information, anything to make the sting of delay a little less.
    darrenkuoKyoshiro80
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2012
    Well, I support you guys and whatever it takes to make the gaming experience better (which shows the respect for the customer anyway) just do what you think has to be done. So till then keep it up and looking forward a lil bit more as of now;)

And as you know, you cant satisfy anyone and sort out the complains
    seeka
  • Wow... 30th november... Sooo long... How about give us the taste of BGEE ad your hard work via demo? I am so dissapointed that the release date was appointed, so I would really appreciate something like that. :)
    Bjjorick
  • nn125nn125 Member Posts: 7
    Hadn't thought of Baldur's Gate in over 8 years - When saw this last week I had a fit of nostalga so I pre-ordered it - Now I am pretty pissed - How the hell can you only realize that you need a 2.5 month delay just days before is beyond me -

Let me see - SO YOU CAN GET A COUPLE MORE PRE ORDERS IN - Wasn't the head honcho bragging that pe orders were exceeding expectations!!!!

Anyway I couldn't find my old disks and never played BG1 so I decided to order the 4 in 1 set and it is arriving on Monday - I guess after a day or so patching and setting up the BGT I will finally get to play it.

If the feelings of desire to play the game go away I guess I will be cancelling the pre-order
    abeeest
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75

@ThimGrim I am confused as to why the release date should be dependent upon a perfect division by 5 :P

I just thought that 30th could also mean 30th anniversary, if you skip the month.

And 5 is important in world of Baldur's Gate because- guess how many NPC you can have in team?
    And what is the number I am thinking of?
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

• LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Don't rush the game. Release it when you are content with the content.
    GodKaiserHellAedankingcrowley
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    Any time you have a delay people will complain. Lets see the finished product before going to nuts. I do think a VIDEO would be a good idea.

FWIW, most of us probably have BGI sitting around anyway, no need for GOG.

OMFG! just when i thought this community was a more mature, understanding and passionate crowd, a few idjits slip through the cracks and toss out nonsense, conspiracy theories and start pointing fingers...all over a small 10 week delay ;-/.....i'm dumbfounded.

I even saw someone aggressively pushing a sale from GOG for all bg titles 65% off right now....THAT is what you should be pissed off about(and i regret typing it but it has to be used to show context) That is an obvious attempt to undermine BG:EE by taking advantage of their delay announcement, yet no one screams about that. Bear in mind this is obviously addressed to the handful of trolls and malcontents and not the community as a whole as they're the calm, cool wait and see it'll be even better crowd(of which i'm one).

Also think about this...it's no coincidence that the enthusiasm for this and other old school titles that the overhaul team and beamdog are trying to accomplish has inspired obsidian entertainment, who are obviously not happy with being forced into early releases by their partners, to use the funding model that is kickstarter in order to make their own original, old school type of game who's name i think is innapropriate to mention here and that their target money goal has been met already 2 months before their deadline.

People are tired of the current crop of rushed and buggy rpg's(many of which i love but doesn't remove my disdain for their buggyness and increases my craving for old school rpg'ing) and want to go back to their roots as it were when games were actually fun to play, had deep engrossing stories and didn't need a few hrs to complete ;-/. Like everyone else, this is only my opinion and people may disagree which is cool, but i hope they disagree civilly and not trollishly. cheers and happy gaming folks.

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

Oooh noooo , very bad news to me .
    I am thinking ,is this delay related to the release of IPad mini on Oct ? Do you want to make a version for iPad mini ?

The iPad mini's resolution will almost certainly be 1024x768, the same as the iPad 2. Devs won't have to do any extra work.

• AshendilAshendil Member Posts: 56

OMFG! just when i thought this community was a more mature, understanding and passionate crowd, a few idjits slip through the cracks and toss out nonsense, conspiracy theories and start pointing fingers...all over a small 10 week delay ;-/.....i'm dumbfounded.

I even saw someone aggressively pushing a sale from GOG for all bg titles 65% off right now....THAT is what you should be pissed off about(and i regret typing it but it has to be used to show context) That is an obvious attempt to undermine BG:EE by taking advantage of their delay announcement.

GOG started that sale at least a day before the announcement was made that the EE would be delayed. I remember that because I actually thought "well, interesting timing so close to the EE's release date."
    That being said... here is an interesting article abut the making of BG2, which I find has some relevance to this discussion as, at least for me, it gives one a different perspective on just how much work can go into fixing a game and how many things have to be redone when something is changed.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131493/baldurs_gate_ii_the_anatomy_of_a_.php

I am still not happy about the delay and its late announcement, but I understand it better now I think.
    Kate_wisekamuizinMoira
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! 69th agree ;)

For real though, this is good. Back in the day, I wish KOTOR 2 was delayed instead of rushed :)
    GodKaiserHellRisingsunMoiraAshendil
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Ashendil, nice hiperlink, it's fun to know that 11 years ago, the customers made similar requeriments that are done now and did not get implemented on the original BG2. For example:

Deathmatch mode
    Definite evil and good paths to allow for alignment-based roleplaying
    Character interaction on par with Final Fantasy (and some people complain about my request of the tactics interface of FF12)
    Character romances (the source of the most fights in this forum)

• actionjezus6actionjezus6 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2012
    Well...

Writing this down hoping that someone from Beamdog/Overhaul games is reading this (which I am a bit doubtful about, after reading one of Trent’s twits [“Made the mistake of reading some negative feedback.”] *):

I feel like (cpt. Obvious) all of negativity now is not caused by the delay per se, but the terrible communication between Beamdog/Overhaul and community. Get your PR together.
    I’m still quite mad about Beam not keeping us in touch with what’s happening to BG:EE. If we were told earlier about problems , just told, some of those who planned vacation based on BGEE release date could had made “emergency” plan. People would be more understanding, I guess.
    A couple of random screenshots (with “subject to change” note), quick sentence or two about what’s going on with BG:EE and I feel like everything would go better than expected. For real.
    Why are you not newsfeeding us ?

Also: I completely agree with Munin. Period.

Meh.. I’ve just needed to get it out of my system. It’s not the matter of money, it’s the matter of me wanting Overhaul and BGEE to work out really well, and not screwing with my schedule.

-----------
    *Not trying to be a dick or flame-starter. But (negative AND constructive) criticism is something very valuable. As IT worker I’ve learned to appreciate any customer feedback and I don’t see how reading it can be a mistake (especially on this forum – everyone wants BG:EE to be a success, everyone is more than potential customer).
    flare100abeeestSir_Falkan
  • RicoRico Member Posts: 22
    I'm content to wait. I'd much rather have a product that is spectacular than one that is just a little bit better, or that has bugs. And, I'm currently running a D&D campaign that will last another 5 weeks. It was going to be very difficult not to get distratcted by wanting to play BG: EE instead of doing the necessary prep work for the game I'm running.
  • APhantasmAPhantasm Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2012
    While I am content to wait. I think I should make a small point. Part of the anger about the release date is the lack of communication from the devs/publisher.

As a person interested in purchasing I can wait while they iron it out.

As a business owner myself, I know this lack of communication can be damaging to their business. I'm a portrait/wedding photographer, and if I called a client only 4 days before their session to tell them I had to move their session back two months I would loose their business. They would go to another photographer that could get to them on time.

The same thing here, by doing this someone may say screw it and just buy the old BG1 from a competitor. Or not purchase it at all, either way loosing money for Overhaul/Beamdog.

This is why most gaming companies do not state release dates till they have them set in stone. That way should it need to be pushed back for any reason they don't have people complaining, and them potentially loosing customers. It kinda surprises me that Beamdog/Overhaul set a release date when there was still the possibility of not being able to meet it.

A good example of a company that waited to set the release date, till it was set in stone, was Arenanet with Guild Wars 2. People were clamoring for a release date and Arenanet kept saying we'll give you a release date when its ready. It was even up for pre-order 2 years in advance before it was finally released. That's what should have been done here.

On the topic of a Demo, technically we already have one called BG1. Though BG1 does not have the changes that were done for BG:EE, it could still be considered a demo.
    actionjezus6
  • Insert_BooInsert_Boo Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2012
    The CG part of me is ok with the delay. Rather see it done well. *Reaches into bag for Butthurt Salve of Soothing +3*

But the LE part feels that some penance is due! =)

Hows about a out of game item- Tome of the Patient Patron?

As someone else mentioned, A PDF manual of the game complete with the Level XP caps and new class description available for DLed, asap. Donno if they were planning to release an updated manual, but if they were it would be nice bone to throw out a bit earlier.
    abeeestAzchar111
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    APhantasm said:

On the topic of a Demo, technically we already have one called BG1. Though BG1 does not have the changes that were done for BG:EE, it could still be considered a demo.

My thought exactly

What about the new character creator? I could spend a couple days just making new characters.
    Jean_Fable
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10
    I am glad they are taking the time they need to finish the game properly and I am no the least bothered by the extra 2 month wait. I waited this long to play, what is an extra 2 months if it works out the kinks and plays properly on my iPad 1st gen. Heck, this gives me time to play the dlc in Dark Souls before I start this:)
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10
    @trent
    How about extending that "little something extra" to the forum members since we will be waiting it out too? Many of us are iPad users and can't pre-order the game because we depend on the iTunes store:( I promise most of us will be day one orders;)
    Azchar111
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2012
    I order the game I hope everyone who pre order the game early can get something special like special rare item 1 or 2 that would be neat....

I never really got a chance to play BG 1 or 2 I'm looking forward to this game and keep up the good work Team :)

It's because my area where I live it's very hard game to find and I never really got around to BG since I got free time I really want to play the Enhanced edition....
    darrenkuokamuizinseeka
This discussion has been closed.