Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    WOW! ...

@TrentOster
    "I do apologize for the lateness of the push back as we needed to get both Wizards and Atari approval and had to at least get verbal approval on the contractual changes required."

You get approval to change some of the original content!!!??? Well that's an awersome new (if i get it right). I would truly like to know what changes are possible now, if what i presume really happend, this delay, from my point of view, start to become more acceptable. Yet something must be done for the negative publicity derived from the delay.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2012

Our goal with the delay was to go back to basics and ensure we can deliver a better quality product.
    The end of November gives us a high confidence we can deliver the the quality of product we have in mind.
    I do apologize for the lateness of the push back as we needed to get both Wizards and Atari approval and had to at least get verbal approval on the contractual changes required. We made the decision late in the game and we underestimated the pushback and contract changes timeline.
    In my 17 years of software development I've gone through shipping numerous times. As you close in on ship, the fix rate takes off on a nearly exponential rate. We were optimistic (perhaps overly so) that this would occur in our original timeline. This did not happen as planned and there were still too many open and outstanding issues to ship the game and feel we had done the right thing.

-Trent

I think even just a little more depth explaining"fix rate takes off on a nearly exponential rate" and the process of needing to get approval from both WotC and Atari would go a long way in satisfying those of us who were really bummed but can maintain a rational perspective on all of this.
    We want to understand what happened, not rage against Overhaul.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    i do kind of want to know what changes you are going to add in the 2 and a half months from now to release.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Heck, my system won't even install the 4-in-1 set. BG:EE is my one and only hope. GoG has it tweaked, too, but then I'll be lacking the improvements. If I didn't know about BG:EE, I would have chugged happily along, playing (and losing) Sword of the Stars, the odd RPG and some strategy stuff. I'll keep doing that until this comes out. Then I'll play this and woefully underoptimize my class and never be called a power gamer.

But I'll have fun.
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10

We're going to further fix the major outstanding bugs between now and release. In our overhaul of the codebase we've introduced many new bugs which we've been fixing as we go, but more continue to crop up all the time. Every time you touch code, you add bugs.
    The contractual changes were required for us to push the date back, not to make any additional changes to the game.
    The plan from here out is to fix bugs, polish the game to the level of quality expected of a major release and then ship the game on all platforms.

-Trent

Awesome. We can wait for a quality product. Does this mean that all platforms will be available November 30th now or will there still be a staggered release? Any chance that "little something extra" for the wait will pertain to us iPad users as well? We can't preorder or you would already have my money in wait:). I am really looking forward to this game because I was a huge d&d fan in the 80s and I missed the original release of this game.

• nbdodgernbdodger Member Posts: 1
    Baldur's Gate EE FOREVER.............:)
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    I have thought about this and @TrentOster beat me to the punch. What I was going to say was I am sure Overhaul had to answer to much larger entities than you and me. I've been in those shoes and it just ain't fun.

Yes, I am still greatly disappointed. I had plans to play, and for reasons I won't go into it meant a lot to me to be able to do so in the near future. But I guess it gives an old Paladin something to look foreward to.

I wish Overhaul success on this project.
  • IronOgreIronOgre Member Posts: 11
    I shaved my B@**S for this?
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    I hope they do an announcement for all the new bugs they've created to contrast with the ones they fixed.

Or they can chart their New Bugs Made Vs. Bugs Fixed on a bar graph that they can add to as the months go by.

Developers 0, Infinity Engine 1!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    Munin said:

I have thought about this and @TrentOster beat me to the punch. What I was going to say was I am sure Overhaul had to answer to much larger entities than you and me. I've been in those shoes and it just ain't fun.

Yes, I am still greatly disappointed. I had plans to play, and for reasons I won't go into it meant a lot to me to be able to do so in the near future. But I guess it gives an old Paladin something to look foreward to.

I wish Overhaul success on this project.

I`ve been following your posts and I really liked this last one you made. I like how even hitting strong points you still remain open-minded. Just wanted to point that out.

And of course, looking forward to BG:EE. November cant come fast enough.

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I can't wait to play BGEE. I have alot of respect for your team taking on the job of rehauling this classic. But reading about having to continually go back to wizards and atari for approval... dang.

I hope you guys consider doing a kickstart for future projects. Create your own unique IP. Project Eternity seems to be off to a fantastic start at only three day mark.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited September 2012
    Hey guaiz! Today iz da day! Cant wait 2 ply da game lololol ^^

Oh noes, therz no DL link on mah inbox! Wut gives? Imposibal hax!
  • VeliusVelius Member Posts: 5
    Not happy about the late release at all. This was my birthday gift, and the release was supposed to be on my birthday. I'm sad because I could have got borderlands 2 instead and be playing it right now. Wish i would have gotten an e-mail about the delay rather than trying to download it and fail then come here to see a last min announcement. Feels like someone dropped the ball.
  • Callmee_JohnCallmee_John Member Posts: 23
    poor Velius...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Velius: Sorry to hear that. But also, things like these happen. As I said, it's not the end of the world. There's plenty of other things you can ask for gifts for your birthday too, no? :)
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    I was kind of expecting this to happen, and I'm totally fine with it. If this mean that it'll be a better product when shipped, then I'm happy to wait a while for it to be finished.
  • AliashAliash Member Posts: 1
    This does suck as I was excited to start my epic adventure! But you know what.. I don't mind, i've got a ton of other games still to finish plus I know these guys will provide us all with something amazing and the game will come out polished and bug free. It is annoying but imagine if people like EA did this, postpone a game for 2months rather than release it with a ton of bugs and have to release hotfix after hotfix. My dissapointment is eliminated by excitement of what will now be an even better release!

but for the love of everything don't delay it further than the 30th!
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    I was planning to buy this in time for my biz trip to China next week, so I was a bit disappointed at the delayed ship date. But my trip has now been postponed by at least a month, so its all good. :-)
  • VeliusVelius Member Posts: 5
    @kitteh,
    It's not about asking for gifts, this was my gift to myself.
    I budgeted enough money to get borderlands 2 then seen this was releasing on the same day and memories of my childhood flooded in and I decided with much deliberation that I'd go with this. The fact that they couldn't e-mail us with a heads up is rather disheartening. If I'd have had some heads up maybe I'd have went with a game I could have actually played on the day it was supposed to be released. Instead I'm left wanting till November 30th. I hope they publish a change log of all the work they had to do since the original promised sale date and the New release date. As for the "something extra" for the preorder people, that isn't what I care for; what I wanted was the game as promised on the day promised.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Bhryaen said:

That a project like this is happening at all is downright phenomenal. I mean, professional game developers getting ahold of BG and notu making some DAO wannabe version but actually trying to revamp the original isometric? And that they want to release it as a fully and thoroughly rennaissanced BG supported on several platforms and already in many different languages at release rather than just a patch-em-up of an obscure game with a few extras? Is Trent nuts? (You don't have to answer that, Trent.)

Who cares about that? I want MY game now! All you're doing is fixing some bugs so we suckers can pay for this game a second time! So what it's got bugfixes and the BG2 engine? Don't you guys know there are mods that'll do that for free? I bet this game will become vaporware. NO WAY it's coming out on 11/30. I will only be convinced if Trent Oster takes the time to phone my place and explain the situation. And a little something extra, you say? I want a playable demo and a brand new NPC with a romance and maybe a Jon Irenicus cameo and a pony. You owe us that! You are bad people and you are terrible at business and I bet you don't even like Baldur's Gate. BTW I didn't pre order.

(sarcasm mode off)

My generation sucks. That's all I can say.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2012
    @Kilivitz
    Well, that sounds reasonable. ;-) Will you be wanting a striped pony or a spotted one?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Velius

e-mails were sent to people who pre-purchased the game.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Velius said:

Not happy about the late release at all. This was my birthday gift, and the release was supposed to be on my birthday. I'm sad because I could have got borderlands 2 instead and be playing it right now. Wish i would have gotten an e-mail about the delay rather than trying to download it and fail then come here to see a last min announcement. Feels like someone dropped the ball.

Is Borderlands2 not for sale? I'm a bit confused on how this kept you from playing it.
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75
    Today is the great day! 18 of September! Release day!

Just kidding
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well whatever. At least this will be a good exercise in patience for the crybabies who are creating a drama out of this delay. Just know that real quality is rare nowadays. -_-
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    At least it's a holiday in Chile...
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279

I don't know if I'm happy that I got to play in what I consider the golden age of gaming or sad that I now have such high standards that I can't enjoy almost anything that comes out these days.

That happens to me too! I enjoy more the old games and the only new games that I enjoy are indie, remakes or revisiting the old gameplay of the series, like Rayman Origins (the original is very difficult but I love it) or the old RPGs coming back anew like BGEE (although I obviously haven't played it xD).
This discussion has been closed.