Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• VeliusVelius Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2012
    @reedmilfam
    Borderlands 2 is no longer in the budget, thus I can't have my cake and eat it too.

@Tanthalas
    I pre purchased it, and I failed to receive an e-mail. Can you confirm your statement?
    I've not received an e-mail by Baldurs@beamdog.com with said changes. If one was sent, either it was sent previous to my order or it is being delayed by g-mail as we speak.
    If it was prior to my order, I feel the site didn't reflect the change then, otherwise I'd have waited.
    Regardless I've got an order I'll have to sit on till the 30th, at least I know this won't be like my pre order for duke nukem forever, that the product will be delivered within the year posted.
  • DonnhartDonnhart Member Posts: 4
    Kilivitz said:

...I want a playable demo and a brand new NPC with a romance and maybe a Jon Irenicus cameo and a pony. You owe us that!...

+1

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Velius

I received the e-mail on the 14th.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Tanthalas said:

@Velius

I received the e-mail on the 14th.

actually, not complaing, but when i saw the email from beamdog about bg:ee, i thought it aws going to say, you can pre install now. :P
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @Bhryaen actually, I don't have room for a pony in my backyard and besides my mom said she won't be cleaning after it, so instead I'd like the devs to include a familiar pony. Also it'd be neat if my character could ride it. That'd be so awesome. I will name him Bill.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, same. Next time :)
    Kilivitz said:

@Bhryaen actually, I don't have room for a pony in my backyard and besides my mom said she won't be cleaning after it, so instead I'd like the devs to include a familiar pony. Also it'd be neat if my character could ride it. That'd be so awesome. I will name him Bill.

well, just get some bar b que sauce and fire up the grill.

just j/k, please don't beat me :)
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I gifted a pre-order of BGEE to a friend for a Xmas present. The coming Xmas.
    Schedule is still on track ^_^
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Tanthalas said:

@Velius

e-mails were sent to people who pre-purchased the game.

Now with a handy link to an example :). Time stamped by Microsoft Outlook: Fri 14/09/2012 09:05 PM.

That cake dispensing USB peripheral is sounding better and better every time I look at this e-mail...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Velius: Strange you didn't get an e-mail. I got one on the 14th of September. :o No matter, though. Beamdog DID warn members of this site and Trent even wrote an explanation himself. What more is there you want? Oster coming to your home on his knees begging for mercy? Give me a break. :/
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75
    "We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate"

source: somewhere in the internet...

Nothing new but I'm just wondering how many players will drift to this option... ;)

@Velius: Strange you didn't get an e-mail. I got one on the 14th of September. :o No matter, though. Beamdog DID warn members of this site and Trent even wrote an explanation himself. What more is there you want? Oster coming to your home on his knees begging for mercy? Give me a break. :/

well, if he brought some games and some pizza as a way of apology (in a bit of a football playing mood, so a good madden game will work), that would be kinda cool. but i hate to see people beg.
  • VeliusVelius Member Posts: 5
    @Kitteh,
    Aye, didn't receive an e-mail, even checked spam, so it's lost somewhere in google, I realize that happens. As to your opinion on this situation it's awesome you have your positive outlook. As a paying customer and not some pirate we get to have an opinion on the matter, and even though we view the situation in different light, we get that luxury.
    Am I mad because I didn't get something on the day I was promised?
    Oh yes indeed I am.
    Am I saying they owe me X for this situation?
    No, not at all.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    ThimGrim said:

"We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate"

source: somewhere in the internet...

Nothing new but I'm just wondering how many players will drift to this option... ;)

Not many, that's for sure. The majority of people here already own (or used to own) the original game. Another relevant portion is already familiar with the mods they're recommending.

That article is somewhat dishonest because it leads uninformed gamers to think that you can have the exact same experience from BG:EE just by installing the version they're selling and applying some mods on top of that. This is not the case.
  • PfhorEverPfhorEver Member Posts: 1
    As a mature adult (unlike some commenting here) I understand the need and responsibility to produce a quality product. As a developer it sounds like Beamdog is going through some feature creep in their development cycle which, in the context of this game, makes me all the more excited for the end result.

Keep up the good work devs!
    @ThimGrim: Your quote comes from a certain recent article published on GoG.com (of all places). There's a topic on it called 'The gauntlet has been thrown' or something similiar. Here in the General section of the boards. I think it's despicable and a blow below the belt of the Beamdog team. Just because of this unfortunate delay, GoG's decided to kinda rub it into Oster's face and try to lure newbies into making their own 'enhanced edition'. Meh, no more GoG for me. :/
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud GOG saw a market opportunity and is trying to take advantage. It isn't personal. Should they be mad that Trent deliberately went after a game that they were already selling in an attempt to improve on the original and cut them out of the sales loop? No! Competition is good. Beamdog should have shipped on time if they didn't want others to make a play for the customer base.
    @Treyolen: Oh, so now Beamdog's the Big Bad for not releasing your precious game on time? At least they still got a sense of the true spirit of gaming instead of kissing the feet of an overly whiny, greedy and elitist fanbase, kinda like Bioware is doing right now.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud I think you are confusing my feelings and your own. I don't think anyone is a bad guy here. There is an available market and GOG is trying to satisfy it. Beamdog saw an available market and is trying to satisfy it. The direct point I was making is that there is no Big Bad. There are just two companies trying to make money. You are the one injecting loaded language like "Big Bad," "Despicable," "Below the belt," and "rub into Oster's face." I don't think any of that is happening at all. Feel free to flame on, but try to keep from misrepresenting me.
    @Treyole: My apologies if I was misinterpreting your words. I'm just getting annoyed at all of the whining going on in this topic. A delay of a game isn't THAT big of a deal, right? Seems it affects whole human lives for some. There's passion, but there's also blowing something out of proportion. Yes, people are disappointed and rightfully venting their frustration, but I think we should relativise. Third time Imma gonna say it: It's not the end of the world.
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Kitteh, I believe the problem people have is HOW the game was delayed. I mean, 4 days before we get a notice about a 2.5 month delay? We are probably all gamers, we are used to game delays... but that is the latest delay I have ever seen.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    kamuizin said:

lordkim said:

Hmm why should people who pre-ordered have more than others ?
    Didn´t we get 2$ of the full price ?
    Should we now return the preorder, and get 20 $ instead, just to make us happy ?
    Narhhh, ill just wait and see...20 $ aint ruining my day, if it does yours, you can borrow them of me.

And btw, its a delay not a cancel.. !

Because pre-order is on the company interest, not on gamers interest.

If i don't have a reason to pre-order, why would i pay early for the product? I didn't loose faith in Beamdog but atm i don't believe that pre-order is anymore in my interest.

From the company point of view pre-order is early money flux, that help the project and speed up things. If Beamdog don't care about pre-order, ok, don't do nothing, but i truly believe that early money is in the best interest of any company.

On the one hand, I'm leery of pre-ordering (I still feel I got burned on Mass Effect 3, bloody star child), but on the other hand, $17 isn't that much money, and pre-ordering a game like this goes a long ways towards making sure this game sees the light of day with a small company like this. One of the reasons I felt entitled to bitch so much about Mass Effect 3's original ending was that I dropped damn near $80 on the collectors edition pre-order so I could play it ASAP with From Ashes and complete Shepard's story. $80 is enough that I'm going to squawk if things aren't right. While I wouldn't be happy loosing $20, I'm willing to gamble with that much, and hope that when November roles around it will be worth it.

Honestly, while I feel that announcing the delay 2 days before the ship date is odd, I'd rather a company do that than ship a broken game and patch it later.
    @Taishar: True, but it also shows how much the Oster team kept on trying until the very last minute. They might indeed have overestimated themselves on this one, but truth be told, anyone who has been following Oster on Twitter could have seen this coming. The original code seems to be quite a bitch to patch up and Oster sometimes expressed doubts about whether his team was going to make the deadline. A project like this needs time, patience and care. Is that so much to ask from the fans? Some people on this forum act as if their mother just got murdered...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    it's a common logic, doesn't matter the price, if i'm going to pay $18,00 6 months early on pre-order or $20,00 on normal sale, why should i bother with pre-order? I'm not mad, i'm just thinking with my pocket as the company does.

There's no right or wrong here, from a customer perspective it's just not in my interest to pre-order this way.

The issue here is that my post express common sense, no decent damage control was done to repair the hurt to Beamdog image.

But my intention was to advice and point toward those facts, Trend posted about three times after i first touch this issue, it's pretty much clear that there will not be anymore details for the delay (be or not in reason to contractual restrictions, i don't know), no toast and apparently no bonus to whom pre-order. Beamdog took his patch already, there's no sense in raise again my arguments so let this on the past.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Well, I think everyone has a right to complain respectfully, because as customers we kinda reserve that right. But "whining" is not the right thing to do. Many people do realize that this is saddening, I agree with many of the people who say, "that I'd rather have a bug-free game."
  • laethynlaethyn Member Posts: 3
    1130210 said:

Well, I think everyone has a right to complain respectfully, because as customers we kinda reserve that right. But "whining" is not the right thing to do. Many people do realize that this is saddening, I agree with many of the people who say, "that I'd rather have a bug-free game."

A bug free game? lol Doesn't exist.
    Delaying launch because of a major bug, fine.
    A major bug found that delays launch, 4 days before launch? Not fine. As a project manager, if anyone on my team came to me 4 days before launch and told me there was a "gold breaker", people would be asked to leave.

When you've asked people to put trust in your company by providing their PII and billing info, delaying a launch that close out is totally unacceptable, and as far as I'm concerned, it'd be a situation where orders start getting cancelled, and bad-mouthing (in this day and age? That is a serious problem) starts happening.
    @Laethyn Well then it's a good thing that it didn't happen that way. The bugs were reported well before the four day mark and it took that long for all parties to agree on an announcement.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    @Treyolen then Beamdog signed a bad contract with it's partners or lack for a specialized attorney to take care for their interests when signed the contract. Besides there is no sense in complain anymore, i had an objective with my complains, that wasn't a simple cry to whomever hear that, Beamdog already has a defined patch so now there's no sense in complain anymore, let's just hope for a great game.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    @Alejandro

Thank you for the kind words. I agree. Nov 30 can't come soon enough for me.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    @laethyn yes, you are correct. But in relation to "bug free game" I really, merely meant devoid of any major bugs. You make good points, also. No doubt it's entirely possible they could've lost good business. I actually ordered it today, and *then* learned about the delay. Haha, talk about bad timing. >_<
This discussion has been closed.