Skip to content

Give Hexxat Level drain ability

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @subtledoctor
    Oh, so you're saying that all homosexual people are acting just like heterosexual?
    Who is offensive now? :D

I only know a few gay men, but very much lesbian and bisexual women.
    It is not hard to recognize bad writing, if is sexual orientation absolutely out of character.

But continue in a similar debate is not very reasonable, moderators are getting nervous. :)
    Also, do you remember shitstorm around Mizhena? Regardless of what you say, someone is always angry.
    So if you still have something to say, say it and then we end this topic.
    DhariusThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Let the moderators get nervous. This thread is horrible and deserves to be shut down.

The moderator team will decide themselves, thank you.

I would like to strictly remind everyone that each post has to contribute to the topic - in this case, "Give Hexxat Level drain ability", not to discuss other posters.
    ThacoBell
    edited January 2017

Typical reactionary tactic: say something offensive, then accuse others of being offensive to try to confuse things, then appeal to a false equivalence saying "hey let's all stop being offensive." It's completely transparent. And it's tired. And it's also extremely rude.

Okay, I'll gladly continue until someone with a higher rank tells me to stop. :)
    I'm not trying to escape, but this topic is irresolvable.

I'm saying that sexual orientation is independent of character and behavior. No, that's not offensive.

I think that THIS is an insult to the cultural and social heritage of all gays.

It's like I said "I think the portrayal of all the white people is wrong because they aren't wearing khakis. Everyone knows white people wear khakis." That is bad criticism. If characterization to simply conforms to gross stereotypes, THAT would be bad writing.

My opinion is based on personal experience with approximately 15 homosexual people.
    (30 if I can count even those that do not know personally, but I know about them.)
    Based on what is your opinion?

Say what you want, but gay people stereotypes which are in games and movies are usually pretty accurate.

The problem with gay people is that large number of them are ashamed of their sexual orientation (homophobes are everywhere) so majority of them behaves differently on public and differently between friends. This can lead to the mistaken assumption that almost all gay people talking and behave "perfectly normally". (This is not my idea. This is the opinion of my gay friends.)
    ThacoBell
    edited January 2017

Typical reactionary tactic: say something offensive, then accuse others of being offensive to try to confuse things, then appeal to a false equivalence saying "hey let's all stop being offensive."

I would like to strictly remind everyone that each post has to contribute to the topic - in this case, "Give Hexxat Level drain ability", not to discuss other posters.

FWIW, in case it wasn't clear, what is horrible about the thread is precisely the off-topic content. So I agree with you. :wink:

I've been on this forum several times punished for off-topic and inappropriate behavior, so believe me, this was still just "small reminder". :D

But I'm glad that you finally agree to end this conversation.
    Questions about homosexuals are often too complicated even for university professors, and I doubt that will be answered on forum for Baldurs Gate. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Edvin
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Dee said:

I won't even touch the hornet's nest of "Shar-Teel must be a lesbian" because yeeeesh.

Thank you.
    EdvinCrevsDaak
    Dee said:

I won't even touch the hornet's nest of "Shar-Teel must be a lesbian" because yeeeesh.

B)

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2017
    @Edvin I find your comments rather sad and insulting

On the original subject I like both of the Hexxat portraits and agree that any further changes in the direction of vampirism to her would overpower her. Which is not to say I think she's well designed as a character as a result.

So basically, what Dee just said, sort of.
    Post edited by Dharius on
    edited February 2017
    Dharius said:

@Edvin I find your comments rather sad and insulting

Have you considered the possibility that homosexuals in your country may behave differently than homosexuals in my country?
    Dharius said:

On the original subject I like both of the Hexxat portraits and agree that any further changes in the direction of vampirism to her would overpower her.

And that's the main problem.
    Why was such a parody of vampire ever created?
    In the world FR are vampires very powerful creatures.

That's like saying:

This is my red dragon. But he has no wings...
    He also has no teeth, scales and can not breathe fire.
    In addition, his skin is green.

But he's definitely red dragon, trust me.

P.S.
    I miss Clara :'(
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Edvin said:

P.S.
    I miss Clara :'(

I wound up havin her in my party instead of Hexxat through a bug/quirk. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63336/clara-lives#latest

This got me to thinking about a possible mod. Not only the mechanics of bringing Clara back as an NPC, but how to develop her character. I'm not sure if/when I'll do it, so I may share some ideas later.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    @kamuizin - have you tried to give her one of the "VAMP" Weapons with EE Keeper?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Edvin said:

@CrevsDaak
    Okay, let's pretend for a moment that it's not complete crap.

1) It's unbelievable cliche.
    2) Bioware policy - At least one character MUST be gay / lesbian and at least one must be bisexual.
    3) She is NOT vampire! Her features and capabilities are not enough even for half-vampire!
    4) Her sexual orientation is not appropriate to her condition and character. She is evil immortal undead monster with dead wish... great time to start a romance! :D
    5) "Educational examples" = Anyone who is not heterosexual MUST be evil. Lot of game studios is doing this bullshit... :(

I'm not homophobe and in BG is a lot of characters that are suitable for changing their sexual orientation.

Nalia = Bisexual
    Aerie = Bisexual
    Haer'Dalis = Bisexual (Try to disagree!)
    Shar-Teel = Lesbian (Textbook example)
    Coran = Gay (I know that during the game he had several romances, but he simply look and acts like gay)

P.S.
    Dorn is also completely out of character.
    His sexual orientation is not suitable for his behavior.

1) and 3) - I agree. In fact, I see most EE characters as clichés.
    2) Considering that all Bioware romances are straight, Beamdog has filled the gaps that most players requested.
    4) Personal goals and sexual orientation are way different things. Like, completely different things.
    5) I don't know about other game studios, but I completely understand the logic of making Dorn bissexual . After all , making young sensitive Rasaad or curious Neera gay or bi would be the real cliché . Besides, he's evil because he's a blackguard . That said, Dorn and Rexxat have nothing in common.

Now, once again when you say that Coran looks and acts like gay and Dorn is out of character you're saying that a person's sexual orientation defines her actions and looks. Actions and looks are socially constructed and have nothing to do with sexuality.

Look, even if you don't mean to be a homophobe, classifying people into "roles" because of their behavior is prejudicial and sexist because you're implying that "if someone is straight they act accordingly" . Sexuality does not in any way affect someone's behaviour or her roles in society.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Remember, this thread is called "Give Hexxat Level drain ability", so discussing other NPCs, sexual orientation is off-topic.
    DJKajuruEdvinCrevsDaakdunbar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Speaking purely from a player's point of view (i.e. putting vampyric lore to one side, because I don't know enough about it) I often have Hexxat in my party and it does jar that the she is the only vampire in the game who can't drain levels.
    However I think she's quite powerful enough as she is given that she's not just a thief but also a suicide bomber who literally lives to fight another day (got a nasty trap you can't disarm? "Hexxat, just come here a minute will you, there's something I want you to do....." - or any other 'one-way mission'), you just have to remember to pick up her gear after she's died.
    tbone1
    dunbar said:

However I think she's quite powerful enough as she is given that she's not just a thief but also a suicide bomber who literally lives to fight another day (got a nasty trap you can't disarm? "Hexxat, just come here a minute will you, there's something I want you to do....." - or any other 'one-way mission'), you just have to remember to pick up her gear after she's died.

Which is also a bit silly.
    Neither vampire can survive a good dose of fire, acid, or sunshine.

Now I got it!
    Hexxat is not a vampire, she lied to us!
    Hexxat is Zombie! (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Juju_zombie)

Now it all makes sense!
    That is why she is so incredibly weak!
    dunbarCrevsDaak
  • Edvin said:

@CrevsDaak
    4) Her sexual orientation is not appropriate to her condition and character. She is evil immortal undead monster with dead wish... great time to start a romance! :D
    5) "Educational examples" = Anyone who is not heterosexual MUST be evil. Lot of game studios is doing this bullshit... :(

On the TV series Tru Blood, a female character became lesbian after 100 years simply being bored of the same thing. It would be interesting in a story if you rejected a male character saying she just got bored of men and might true in a few hundred years whens he's bored of women.

The "evil" as a party member is a fanservice really. It's like her being a pure thief. The player's slayer power drops reputation and if it drops too low, then all but the "evil" NPCs will quit. So making her and Dorn "evil" is a fanservice of non-quittable characters -- as long as you're not playing a heroic character.

Edvin said:

Nalia = Bisexual
    Aerie = Bisexual
    Haer'Dalis = Bisexual (Try to disagree!)
    Shar-Teel = Lesbian (Textbook example)
    Coran = Gay (I know that during the game he had several romances, but he simply look and acts like gay)

P.S.
    Dorn is also completely out of character.
    His sexual orientation is not suitable for his behavior.

Dorn being bisexual is a fanservice I think too. As players will have different preferences and might play both genders for fun and want the romance. It's like that there's a mod to get all the stronghold quests for fun.

Now a lot of sexuality in Western culture comes from a society where people are very wealthy compared to a medieval setting. Firstly in a medieval setting, there's no modern technology, nor even running water. If you want to clean yourself in the morning, you dip your hands in stagnant water and rub your face with wet hands. It was very dirty. And all the stuff we do easily used to take a very, very long time. Women had to stay home and were busy and very tired and usually the children would have to help. And then the men would be off doing hard labor somewhere outside the home. And it was like that every day for survival. People didn't have time for all the first world luxuries we think of as normal.

Also there was no welfare state, child support, or alimony. If a woman gave birth to a child, if the man wasn't the type to stick around, then she would be left raising a child with no money and nobody would want her. She would either live with her parents, or be disowned and have to life on the street. The parents also would watch their child to make sure they didn't do anything like that.

With the modern view of First World Privilege, people think that people back then could behave like they do now. But if they did, they would not survive. We live a luxurious life compared to them.

The way first world people deal with romances was maybe how the rich nobles and stuff in those times did, but not the commoners.