Skip to content

Halfling classes?

2»

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    A shorty party... that's kinda interesting. And you can still have all four of the basics covered that way.

Though halflings will probably feel beard envy.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    also - that was the game where I discovered that Alora rocks :). It is frustrating that so many shorties are not recruitable until you reach Baldur's Gate itself though - I kind of rushed the early game, and had to sacrifice many a tallfellow to expedite my progress... (after letting Xzar sacrifice himself to free Montaron, it seemed only fair to collect the remaining tallfellows and dump their bodies in the same temple that would be free to raise them if they took their faith seriously, or got fed up being surrounded with the stench of death).
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2017

@AKrugBier I had a lot of fun playing a racist halfling, who insisted on a party of shorties. It does not sound like much, but when you have a party of 6 shorties running around, you eventually realize your party does not look like anyone around you, and you do start to notice the height - especially if you allow a tallfellow in for a short period to complete their special quest...

Hah!

That's what I actually did as well in BG1!

Gave me the option to finally use some of the other chars in BG1, since most time I just use the standard party with some sligh variation.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2017
    Halflings and dwarves are basically my go-to races. I rarely play anything else. For something new I now have a gnome cleric/thief in the planning stages for a new run when i finish the current one, so another shorty regardless!

I have played the BG and Icewind Dale series since the beginning and have played multiple elves (assassins, stalkers, F/Ms, F/Ts), 1/2 elves (blades, bards) and humans (paladins, druids, wizards, barbarians), but in the end I always drift back to shortys in BG and usually with a thieving flavor.

Frankly, I think I have an obsession with saving throw bonuses, infravision, and high racial thieving bonuses. What else can explain it?
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2017
    There used to be a rude halfling soundset available on sorcerers.net (?). Don't know if it's still out there. Very rude, very immature, loads of fun. Here's a quote that has stuck with me for 18 years since I used that soundset:

"Bright lights, big city, lots of horse and big titties. Whoa, you're really tall, lady, I can see right up into your cooter."

Definitely showed me there could be more types of halflings than just Frodo knockoffs.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    This is one reason why I've come to really like Eberron. So many different takes on things that one would never think of.

Barbarian halflings living in tribes and riding dinosaurs? Yes, please.
    Halfling healers operating as a force of doctors? Yes, please.

...I really need to get some Eberron books.
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    @JuliusBorisov I have started a playthrough with a female halfling barbarian. You're right, it is great, and I have to say, very funny from a RP point of view. I imagine her as a kind of feral kid who was doing hard life to Gorion in Candlekeep. I love playing barbarian, it is very interesting, particularly the speed. She has spears and short bow. Forher, it is logical to need two hands to hold the spear (which I think is closer to a small javelin than the big Macedonian-style pike). Her name is May Whitelily and this is her portrait.
    gdb8o1szdtug.jpg
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2019
    Edit: Maybe a bit off topic, sorry for that but I got carried away.
    After playing hordes of different dwarf characters I have to admit I've come to think of all other races, well the longshanks I mean, to look so asymmetrical. The dwarf is the epitome of humanoid physiology, as wide as they are tall, a perfect, symmetrical square of meat and muscle with beard to boot. I've dabbled with non-dwarves and ventured into gnomery at times, but nothing stands up to the paperdoll of the Dwarf. My only wish would be to have the bald and bearded paperdoll for the warrior class, but even the sun has its spots.