Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Neverused said:

By pacific, I mean the large pond to my west between the US and Asia :D
    Err. I mean that Allegro himself is forbidden to take any kills, else the run is considered a failure. His party members are very much allowed though; the reasoning for this was to test the strengths of the Rogue Rebalancing Skald. I still have to do the math at some point, but I think having a Skald and a party of 5 does slightly more damage and has more utility than adding another Archer or something would.

:D Interesting.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovGotural
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2017
    Commiserations.

Blighted by a cold I allowed Whitworth to shake down the Elemental Lich for any randomised items, have a look around level 2 of Watcher's Keep after dealing with the statues, and then cleared Sundalessar. I slightly regret that Edwin is only level 17 but can't justify any more delays with Irenicus pruning the Tree of Life into his personal shrubbery before our eyes... A touching moment along the way as Whitworth convinced Kivan to stand with him one last time... I find it rather difficult not to take Kivan along for all my runs actually as I think his story is very well done in the BG1 NPC project and BG2 mod- and also of course he showed me how damn powerful archers are!

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolienGotural
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    And... I made a mistake at the Bandit camp due to slow animations and frustration. A change to my Baldur.lua apparently fixed Grease but not Cloudkill... Anyways, I allowed Allegro to break invisibility by using a wand of Summon Monster, but this proves fatal as Elites turn him into a pincushion in a stroke of irony.
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    Tough luck, I've also had problems with the cloud spells and other animations in the EE engine. Have you tried playing with the graphics options?

@Neverused

What is pacific about your run?

When I played a pacific fighter/thief through to the final battle, my solo characters didn't kill anyone.
    However he did kill Sarevok with his fists in one run, and in another Sarevok was killed by his allies. I beat him up with my fists and then let him towards his allies. I'm not sure if it was the lightning trap or the arrows of explosion fired by one his allies that killed him.

They weren't no-reload runs as I hadn't started playing no-reload way back then.

I( used various tricks to avoid killing. The hobgoblins at the FAI were led towards the guards.
    Greywolf was led to the mines where the guards killed him.
    I charmed Bassilus and led him towards Zargal. :)
    Mulahey was charmed with the result that the kobolds etc. killed him. :)
    Davaeorn was charmed and the battle horrors? Doom guards? killed him.

At the ducal palace wand of sleep was key. I beat the doppelgangers up with my fists until they were unconscious and moved on to others leaving the dukes et al to kill them. I think that I healed a duke as well just to be safe.

Obviously pick-pocketting the Cloak of Algernon was the key to a lot of incidents. I had a VERY low level at the end.

I must try that run in EE no-reload. It was fun. I played the above in vanilla no mods a LONG time ago.
    I have just realised how much more difficult a pacific run will be with EE. The cloak of Algernon has been well and truly nerfed so that it only has one charge per day. That is fine for an ordinary run as it shouldn't be relied upon in the same way as in a pacific run, otherwise the game would be boring.
    CrevsDaak
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I have just realised how much more difficult a pacific run will be with EE. The cloak of Algernon has been well and truly nerfed so that it only has one charge per day. That is fine for an ordinary run as it shouldn't be relied upon in the same way as in a pacific run, otherwise the game would be boring.

Nerfed, yes. Well and truly nerfed may give a misleading impression - it's still a powerful item. Not only can it charm a wide range of creatures, but the charm lasts for more than a day! It's thus possible to have 2 charmed creatures at a time on your side (even without using other spells or items). I haven't tried it, but I suspect that a run using only the cloak is still possible, even if not as easy as in vanilla.
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovlolien
    The Gypsy kit from Song and Silence might also be possible- easier with the bigger radius of BGT bardsongs though.
    edited February 2017
    @Neverused The problem with the one at Winthrops is that you need a certain amount of strength to get it. A fighter or thief will usually have no problem, but mages might.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    (I could have sworn that there was a Helm of Charm Protection somewhere in BG1; but wiki says it is only in BG2.)

Newb question #47: Does Charm end the game if you solo?

For some reason it never happened to me before. (Or I may have attributed a lost game to something else, if it did.) I rarely solo, but when I do it is either a Cavalier (nonissue) or a Sorcerer (may have had preemptive luck with damaging the threat).
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

About charm: And elves and half-elves have a high chance of ignoring charm spells outright.

Half-Elves have 30%, which is pretty bad to be honest. Elves have 90%, and SCS Mages won't even try casting Charm upon you (which is nice).

@Grond0 I have the Item Randomiser installed, so the Amulet isn't available in Ulgoth's to be purchased since the start of the game (otherwise I would have already picked it up), instead it is somewhere in the TotSC content.

And about the Potions of Magic Blocking/Protection, I only have one of the ones that give MR (or two, I'm not sure, in which case I could have completely prevented this death I reckon), and using the other one would mean either I would loose my own buffs (IIRC I could cast them after taking the potion, but the potion only lasts a few rounds). I think I didn't get any Potions of Magic Shielding so far, and if I had I'd probably save it for Davaeron.

I also thought about getting the Claw, but I didn't since that would leave me with 14 CON, which means way less maximum HP. Maybe I should have got it, IDK.
    Ygramul said:

Newb question #47: Does Charm end the game if you solo?

Yes.
    Ygramul said:

(I could have sworn that there was a Helm of Charm Protection somewhere in BG1; but wiki says it is only in BG2.)

I've always thought about adding one, because I favour playing solo, but never did. I might add one plus an additional quest to get it so it feels as if you've earned it.
    YgramulGrond0StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    CrevsDaak said:

About charm: And elves and half-elves have a high chance of ignoring charm spells outright.

Half-Elves have 30%, which is pretty bad to be honest.
    I see your point. But 30% is something - you still get the saving throw after 3/10 of the spells have been negated. In a party with dispel magic at hand I would go with those odds. But in a solo no reload run 100% is better...

Perhaps Thalantyr can upgrade an item into a helmet of charm protection? I like the Thalantyr item upgrade mod, and think it would fit in nicely.
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    CrevsDaak said:

Ygramul said:

I've always thought about adding one, because I favour playing solo, but never did. I might add one plus an additional quest to get it so it feels as if you've earned it.
    AFAIK Item Randomiser adds Helmet of Charm Protection on its own but the only pre-Baldur's Gate City areas to find it are Ulcaster ruins, Firewine ruins and Shipwreck Coast (Droth) so the chance is pretty slim.
    JuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343

Bratty’s Journal

I cast a spell and decided that for a fighter/thief the best kit was barbarian. (The mod that gives the choice of kits, only gave the fighter kits as options, not thief kits otherwise the kit chosen would probably have been assassin)
    Dear WG
    Which mod is that?
    Otherwise. Great stuff. Please keep it coming