Skip to content

Fire Tooth Throwing Dagger

Does Fire Tooth have a set rate of fire (at one attack per round)? And, if this is the case, is there a ranged alternative for a dagger grandmaster fighter type?

Comments

• former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    You are the wind beneath my wings. Thank you. (There are sites which say that Fire Tooth is set to one APR, which made me almost as angry as when I found that you can repair Plunkett's Valid Points in Fallout 3.)
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Yeah, I was wondering if that wasn't the problem. There were debates about the dagger being overpowered (and the APR set lower as a result), so in was concerned that it might really be nerfed.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    IIRC the description says/said that the APR is set to 1, but I dunno if that is changed in later patches. Haven't played BG2 in a year or so.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The firetooth dagger used to be very, very strong due to the fact ranged daggers were the only ranged weapons (as a weapon type, because some specific ranged weapons would as well) to apply strength bonus damage on the target.
    Beamdog rebalanced that by giving other such weapons (hammers slings and axes. Maybe darts as well but I haven't checked that out ) strength bonus damage, and though daggers are still slightly better due to high base APR they are not so overwhelming.
    This leaves bows and crossbows slightly underwhelming damage-wise but the access to a wide variety of ammos compensate for that.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited March 2017
    Arunsun said:

Beamdog rebalanced that by giving other such weapons (hammers slings and axes. Maybe darts as well but I haven't checked that out ) strength bonus damage...

Darts do not have strength bonus to damage. All other throwing weapons as well as slings do give the strength bonus to damage.

Also, the Boomerang and Firetooth daggers still have a base APR of 2 (or to be more accurate they both add 1 to whatever APR you would have with them).