Skip to content

Chosing NPC for best banter and "story experience"

SmoothgoalSmoothgoal Member Posts: 34
Hi guys,

I'm a relatively new to the BG games. Got the EE editions just recently.

So how exactly to choose NPC for best story experience?

I'm just finished at chapter 4. Before that, I've cleared every available location so far(Durlag tower included) and I'm running with the Cannon NPCs(Jaheira, Misc, Imoen... etc). But my problem is that those NPCs are starting to annoy me for being too silent - they don't comment on anything i do beside reputation gain/loss. I literally don't remember them to talk, outside of their personal quests, more than 1-2 times in total. I like to theory craft, so i already have a max level character that I "solo" with(leave my party behind) and running on Insanity(also thinking of installing SCS to Up the difficulty). So i need a party that would contribute to my "story" somehow. The cannon party didn't contribute anything to the story for the whole chapters 2, 3 and 4(well beside that the druids attack me because of Jaheira). So i hope you understand they i'm starting to look at them more like a burden than anything else.

So what can you guys recommend, stick with the same party for the whole game and hope that they'll have a few conversations later? Or ditch 1-2 of them every time i meet a new NPC, to complete the new NPC's personal quests? Or something else?

I'm starting to think that i don't understand the NPC bantering system.

The question also applies for SOD/BG2SoA/ToB, so any help would be good here as well. Especially because there are romances in BG2.

Edit. I tried to look for an answer for this, but didn't found a answer for it. Most discussions go into "which NPC is more powerful".

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Look up the BG NPC Project. It apparently introduces a bunch of banter, although I've never used it myself.
    Mantis37SLN
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Shar Teel- Has main story connections

Kivan- Has main story connections

Viconia- will be with you in all games and is one of the rare characters in BG1 who without the NPC Project (Which you should get) has banters with another NPC while in your party, specifically Kivan.

Tiax is funny.

So is Edwin.

CrevsDaakSLN
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2017

Shar Teel- Has main story connections

Kivan- Has main story connections

Viconia- will be with you in all games and is one of the rare characters in BG1 who without the NPC Project (Which you should get) has banters with another NPC while in your party, specifically Kivan.

Many of the NPCs have "main story connections": Imoen, Montaron, Xzar, Jaheira, Khalid, Branwen, Xan, Skie also have main story connections. Even Dynaheir and MInsc do as well (did you ever wonder what Dynaheir's mission on the Sword Coast was? :wink: )

All of the NPCs have *someone* they banter with - except Imoen.

Ajantis - Xan and evil NPCs
    Alora - Edwin, Garrick, Minsc
    Branwen - Tiax, Shar-Teel
    Coran - Safana
    Dynaheir - Minsc, Edwin
    Edwin - Alora
    Eldoth - Shar-Teel, Xan
    Faldorn - Jaheira
    Garrick - Skie
    Imoen - None
    Jaheira - Khalid, Xzar
    Kagain - Yeslick
    Khalid - Xzar, Montaron
    Kivan - Viconia
    Minsc - Dynaheir
    Montaron - Xzar, Khalid
    Quayle - Tiax
    Safana - Coran
    Shar-Teel - Eldoth
    Skie - Eldoth
    Tiax - Quayle, Branwen
    Viconia - Kivan
    Xan - Eldoth
    Xzar - Montaron
    Yeslick - Kagain

So, there are groups with the most banters:
    Eldoth, Skie, Xan, Shar-Teel (and Branwen or Garrick)
    Quayle, Tiax, Branwen, Shar-Teel, Eldoth
    Edwin, Dynaheir, Minsc, Alora
    Jaheira, Khalid, Montaron, Xzar

Then there are some really good pairs:
    Coran - Safana
    Tiax - Quayle
    Kivan - Viconia
    Kagain - Yeslick
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakSLN
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    tbone1CrevsDaakSLN
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Run, don't walk, to the BG1NPC project. Hard to imagine playing without it. Other modded improved friendships are great as well. Coran, Xan, all the romances in BG1NPC inject a great deal more info as well.
    Being able to click on all NPC's and ask questions is a major step up from vanilla BG.

Neera gets her butt smoked more often than not before I can evaluate her improved banter mod. Wouda been nice to have her keyed as Dorn is so she can always be picked up if desired.
    tbone1SLN