Skip to content

Any chance on adding a "SoD" like expansion onto IWDEE?

2»

Comments

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    We definitely need a (Castle) Ravenloft EE game. best campaign setting and antagonists
    ThacoBellDJKajuru
  • kozkoz Member Posts: 11
    As far as (another) expansion to IWD I'm not sure it is really called for, overall the story does wrap itself up nicely, with some cool epilogue stuff appearing in IWD2.

Further - adding more quests / areas "inside" IWD just breaks the last third (or so) of the game as your toons would then be at an even higher level.

That being said, I wouldn't mind another installment of the franchise in whatever edition of D&D, there are a lot of cool areas that could be built on for another IWD style game.

--

As far as campaign settings, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, and (my favorite) Dark Sun could all be great alternatives to the Forgotten Realms.
    DJKajuru
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DJKajuru
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    I don't think Obsidian is interested in D&D anymore, they have their own IPs now.
    ButtercheeseKamigoroshi
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207

Tarlugn said:

Isn´t there like a lots of time between ID 1 and 2? Like a few generations?

Well, IWD1 is set in 1281 DR ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icewind_Dale_(game) ). IWD2 was set in 1310 DR ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Icewind_Dale_II ). So, yes.
    One can imagine that a game spanning 29 years would be interesting, though I´ve no idea are games even designed having time limits as deadlines for something that´s bound to happen. Wouldn´t that be great, to have a sense of achievement, for example acquiring the stronghold in BG2:EE. Or in IWD2 case, were the Legion succesfull in creating a all-inclusive society, and where that´d lead.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    I had a thread awhile back on Beamdog should just make Ravenloft IE Game- or castle ravenloft remake which they just did with curse of strahd for PnP- if marketed/done right its been proven to be one of the best sellers of all time and should be a success...is it just me or is this a new brainer??
    [Deleted User]
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    brunardo said:

I had a thread awhile back on Beamdog should just make Ravenloft IE Game- or castle ravenloft remake which they just did with curse of strahd for PnP- if marketed/done right its been proven to be one of the best sellers of all time and should be a success...is it just me or is this a new brainer??

WotC wants any new D&D game to feature the latest version of the rules (i.e., 5E). A Ravenloft game would need a new engine with 5E rules (or an overhauled IE to change the ruleset to 5E).

SoD is an "expansion" not a standalone game, which is how it was able to use 2E rules.

I also doubt Beamdog's license from WotC allows them to "just make" any game they want with WotC's intellectual property. I'm sure it would require new contracts for the Ravenloft rights.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I'm much more inclined toward Planescape:Torment EE or a new game with a new setting. I love the IWD series, but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be advantageous for the company, plus there is already plenty of Forgotten Realms material. As far as other settings go, I'd like to see Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, or even Dragonlance, in that order. Eberron would be awesome. I'd love to see it interpreted into a classic CRPG rather than an MMO or strategy game.