Skip to content

The one thing in the Microsoft suite that bugs you the most

SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
Hello,

After working in word, excel, powerpoint and most of the other programs in the microsoft suite for windows, what is the one thing that bugs you the most? There are probably a thousand things that bug you out, but I think now after many, many years I have found the one that drives me the most mad. Answering Microsoft Visio doesn't count as that is a whole program, though if you would say it anyways I can fully understand you. That plague-ridden pile of horse crap should have fit well in the torture dungeons of the medieval times.

With this eminent introduction, spiking your interest, I will now state my number one thing to hate:

The way microsoft always includes the new row break-points when you copy and paste words or sentences. I hate it. I mean, I really, really hate it. My girlfriend often tells me that few people can get so incredibly upset over things that "doesn't matter". DOESN'T MATTER!? I use copy paste sometimes a hundred times PER DAY and EVERY SINGLE TIME I have to go back, remove the "enter" breaks and move up the text to the row above or remove the whole row which is now in top of the pasted text.

As the old saying goes: hell hath no fury as an office worker with a deadline!.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd really like some customization when it comes to some of the screens. Take the saving screen for instance. I'd like the option to disable saving it to OneDrive or "This PC" from appearing on the screen.

Maybe I'm just weird (well ok, that's a given), but whenever I try to save something now I always have to catch myself after clicking on "This PC" when what I really wanted was browse.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I agree about the new automatic inclusion of line breaks or spaces in new versions. Super annoying.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @grond0, with shift-arrows yes, but with the mouse you often automatically highlight entire words since that is also a built in feature, and when the last word in a sentence is highlighted it includes the last space, thus also the linebreak. So in order to NOT include the linebreak I must use the mouse to highlight, then press shift and left arrow once to remove the space. Can't be done with the mouse, which is IMHO brutally stupid.

Also, highlighting text without automatically include the last space and linebreak means you have to start highlighting from the start of the sentence, from the left. If you just start to highlight words from the right, since perhaps you want the second half of a sentence, then you cannot NOT include the last space.

It works a bit different in different programs though.
    Sounds like it's a difference in versions then - I have the Office 365 by subscription. My version does work as you would like it to:
    - you can use the mouse to highlight a paragraph without the final space (not by highlighting whole rows or triple-clicking, but clicking and dragging to the appropriate point).
    - you can start from the right and highlight a partial paragraph to any point (if you try and highlight an entire paragraph like that I agree the final space gets added in automatically, but move the mouse back slightly so you're no longer highlighting the entire paragraph and the extra space is removed again automatically).

As I say the behaviour took a little while for me to get used to, but I think the underlying logic is understandable, i.e. if you're copying whole paragraphs then by default the program assumes that you want the paragraph break as well - which is often the case, though I certainly agree not always so.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited March 2017
    The problem is not that I don't understand it. It's that I neither need nor like it
    Grond0 said:

I think the underlying logic is understandable, i.e. if you're copying whole paragraphs then by default the program assumes that you want the paragraph break as well - which is often the case, though I certainly agree not always so.

I too understand the logic, but I don't agree with it. If I wanted the end space linebreak I would manually have highlighted it. There is a logic in when I doubleclick a single word and ctrl+c that it also includes the space after when I paste, but if I want a linebreak I will add a linebreak.

I will never get used to this, heh.. I wish there was an option to remove it somehow. Like here, in this forum where I browse using mozilla, when highlighting it only marks exactly that which I am highlighting. So refreshing, so logical, so absolutely wonderful.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    An old pet peeve of mine is not being able to open two Excel or Word files of the same name at the same time. Libre doesn't have a problem with it. Even Outlook can open two .pst files with the same name, but Excel and Word just can't do it.

Talking about .csv files in Excel. I do PowerShell scripting, so I output a lot of .csv files. If you open a .csv file that wasn't created in Excel, then hit "save", it saves as an unformatted text file. You have to "Save as" and choose .csv file to have it saved properly.

The latest version of PowerShell has a new annoyance. In earlier versions, if you used "up arrow" to run a previous command, it saved your place in the history. So you could hit up several times, hit enter to run the command, then down arrow and enter to run the next command. Now when you hit enter it resets you to the bottom of the history, so you have to up arrow several times again to get to the next command.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The new subscription service.

It neither updates enough, nor provides anything substantial from previous versions to warrant it.

Once my free year subscription ran out, it was off to google docs for me.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Its existence.
    iKrivetko said:

Its existence.

Hehe, I see you avatar and this comment and the combo is just so perfect!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited March 2017
    That it exists.

I was raised on Office 97, Office 2000, Office 2003. When 2007 came out and changed it all with that damned ribbon and I couldn't find a damned thing anywhere anymore, I dropped it and went to Open Office.

One thing that comes to mind with Excel is that I have to cut/copy+paste if I want to move a selection. Extra annoying when it's big enough that the initial cell is off screen, because I go back to that cell when I do the copy/cut or move, even if the initial cell is the bottom-right one. I'd then have to go all the way back to the top-left to do the reposition. In Open Office Calc, I can just select and just drag the selection around to where I want it as if it was just an image layer like in GIMP.

I suffer modern Office as little as possible.

I will second the inability to open the same named thing twice.

One thing that comes to mind with Excel is that I have to cut/copy+paste if I want to move a selection. Extra annoying when it's big enough that the initial cell is off screen, because I go back to that cell when I do the copy/cut or move, even if the initial cell is the bottom-right one. I'd then have to go all the way back to the top-left to do the reposition. In Open Office Calc, I can just select and just drag the selection around to where I want it as if it was just an image layer like in GIMP.

At the risk of appearing to defend Microsoft (and no-one would want to be accused of that :D) I'll mention you can drag selections in Excel. Just click anywhere on the border of a selected group of cells (other than the bottom right corner - which triggers a fill command) and drag it. That allows you to avoid having to reposition the mouse in the way you dislike.