Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    SethDavis said:

If you're after the platinum trophy you pretty much have to play offline. I don't know much about the online because of that.

You mean in DeS, I presume?
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

You mean in DeS, I presume?

yup, I'm pretty sure that's what Yamcha was asking about anyway.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, World tendency requires a Wiki to manipulate.
    oh! I totally forgot I actually played through with a friend recently.

through the whole game I think we were invaded maybe twice, so it wasn't all that active a year ago.

the old monk bit still worked fine as well, I put the fear of yellow into a few people.
    edited March 2017
    DS3 community is pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb97yDzneW0
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

Interesting tags.
    sounds like the nexus to me, Maiden in Black is best girl
    SethDavis said:

sounds like the nexus to me, Maiden in Black is best girl

How dare you insult my Emerald Herald in fair Majula??
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Thanks for posting those. :)
    So it appears that From has put together a working version of Dark Souls 3 for the Switch, and there are rumors (just rumors) that they may release the whole trilogy w/all DLC for the new Nintendo system. I was under the impression that the Switch hardware was essentially a souped up PS3/XBox 360, so I'm not entirely sure HOW Dark Souls 3 ends up working on it (maybe the 720p of the portable part works well, but how could it possibly maintain 30 fps at 1080p on a TV??).

Now, the Dark Souls Trilogy accessible in bed, on the bus, and on break at work would be as big a system-seller for me as Breath of the Wild would. But IF this ends up happening, I hope to god it's not a half-ass series of ports and that From takes the time to make them playable at 30 fps without massive drops, otherwise the entire enterprise would be a waste.
    Speaking of Dark Souls and performance, I have absolutely found a way to get a massive performance boost in the trouble spots from Dark Souls 1 on PC. The problem seems to be Anti-Aliasing. At it's default setting, anytime the FPS drops below 28, Anti-Aliasing switches on automatically, and causes the game to then drop even farther, to 15 (at a maximum) or even below). Anyone playing on PC is already using DSFix, and the solution lies in there. First, unlock the framerate, and then lock it to a max of 30. Then you need to simply set the trigger for when the game kicks in to auto anti-aliasing to something it can no longer reach with the framerate capped, such as 50.

This doesn't solve every problem, and some of the spots that were trouble still drop. But where as I was getting sub-15 on the Hellkite Dragon's bridge fire before, with this trick enabled, even standing right in the middle of it maintained a 21-25 FPS, which I have never seen before in this spot. Other trouble spots I still have to test, but the Drake breath attack on the bridge is one of the most intense particle effects in the game, and if it can maintain relatively smoothly on that, I have hope for the rest of the other situations as well.
    @jjstraka34 Are you doing a DS1 run while waiting for the DLC?
    edited March 2017

@jjstraka34 Are you doing a DS1 run while waiting for the DLC?

Can't really call it a run, since I always seem to taper off around Anor Londo. That said, I'm playing a Deprived and not wearing any armor, and it's hard to overstate just how much better I am at the game than when I started way back when. One of the greatest aspects of these game remains how much they shrink when you know exactly what you are doing, and the fun is trying to play the game with different weapons and builds. I never thought I'd be able to parry when I first started, tonight I don't think there was a single time I missed one when going for it. Point being, I spent 10 hrs in the Undead Burg the first time I played. Now I spend ten minutes, and that's only to get all the items.

I probably won't be doing much in the DLC for a bit, much like I really haven't done much more than explore the new Painted World. I will definitely buy it first thing on Tuesday, and be watching the top streamers play through it with anticipation.
    @jjstraka34 Yeah, maybe I should replay it as well. Sounds like fun.

Why would rather watch a streamer play than play it yourself? I for one am itching to play but I won't be home until Fri 31st and on Saturday I have a wedding to attend. Damn work & social life keeps interfering with game time.
    I haven't finished Dark Souls 3, I believe the farthest I've actually gotten is Yhorm. I'm wondering where the entrance to this DLC is even going to be.
    @jjstraka34 How strange. Are you planning to finish the game?
    Launch trailer hype

https://youtu.be/Y6SH6YurhBs

plus new screenies

http://imgur.com/a/ddO1i

@jjstraka34 How strange. Are you planning to finish the game?

Not so strange, I play alot of games, and I own so many, and want to play them all so much, that I generally have a very hard time finishing any of them. One day I hope to finish all my games. I sometimes think that would take 200 years.
    @jjstraka34 Still, I find it odd you would start another without finishing the one.

@jjstraka34 Still, I find it odd you would start another without finishing the one.

No, I swear to god I'm normal.......errr......maybe not
    @jjstraka34 None of us is :D Any thoughts on the trailer? Or avoiding spoilers?

@jjstraka34 None of us is :D Any thoughts on the trailer? Or avoiding spoilers?

Naw, I even read all the leaked info. This should have been released as one large DLC like The Old Hunters. 3 bosses, the Demons we've seen, an Abyss Dragon, and someone else, so it looks like 3. There are rumors there is also an optional secret area depending on a choice you make on the last boss, can't confirm that. Many new armor sets.

Turns out this is the first DLC where you actually have to BEAT the base game to proceed to, so The Ringed City will now be the official finale of the game. I have read what I believe to be the final bits of dialogue once everything is wrapped up after the last boss. You will have to make a point to venture back in your journey to hear it. It's very low-key and doesn't end with a bang, nor a whimper, but a soft conversation in the most unlikeliest of places.
    @jjstraka34 Sounds epic. Next weekend can't come fast enough.
    New ThePruld video Praise till you're Hollow

https://youtu.be/mp28JPs25ek
    edited March 2017

New ThePruld video Praise till you're Hollow

https://youtu.be/mp28JPs25ek

It's so odd to see these characters in anything but existential despair, much less dancing.
    edited March 2017
    So the trailer has two striking images. One being the statue of Gwynn, who appears to be crowning the Furtive Pigmy and giving him domain over this land. The other is the wasteland of what appears to Ash, covering the remains of all three lands (you can clearly see Drangleic in the distance on the far right), where you appear to meet Slave Knight Gael, who it appears has actually claimed the Dark Soul.
    Does appear now that according to someone who was able to play an early access version that there are 4 bosses, but one of them is strictly a fight to access the new Covenant, which is related to the sleeping woman with the egg.
    edited March 2017
    I've played quite a bit of all 3 games this wknd, and I am more convinced than ever about my general complaint about Dark Souls 3 (which is a still great game better than 90% of games ever released): The game is too fast. In 1 and 2, fights are like a boxing match. It's all about learning your opponents moves, and counter-punching when there is a opening. Combat is methodical. Dark Souls 3 is frenetic. Part of the problem is how easily many of these fast enemies break your defenses. Mostly, they are just incredibly fast. The Dark Wraiths in Farron Keep, the Outrider Knights scattered around Lothric. Even the Black and Silver Knights have been given a 5-hour Energy Drink. The reaction speed needed to dodge and block these enemies compared to their counterparts in 1 and 2 is at least 50% faster. It's harder.

Furthermore, Dark Souls 1 remains a true RPG in the classic sense of the word. Weapon types vs different enemies matter alot. Resistances and weaknesses matter alot. I watched LobosJR play with a randomizer mod made just for him by a fan. It was surprising how much it had to exact same effect as the BG Randomizer does. Oscar didn't even drop the Estus Flask, so he had to use Humanities to heal, as the actual Flask could be on any corpse or any enemy drop in the game. Fun stuff.

Also, though it may not seem like it on the surface, I would encourage anyone who likes Dark Souls to try out The Binding of Isacc. Though it's more obvious inspiration is 2D Zelda, I see many Souls-ish design choices in this randomize Rogue-like. Dark Souls will eventually go down with Super Mario Brothers, Ocarina of Time and other games as being one of the most INFLUENTIAL games of all time.