Skip to content

Has BG:EE lost something?

13»

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @AndreaColombo

Ok. How do you get those original BG1 beauties in EE?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Fantastic....
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    To me, it's no competition.

This...

BG2.0 2 photo BG2.0 2_zpsgrv8gdxc.png

...looks so much better than this...

photo IWDEE_zpsewkussyf.png
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Plus the black outlines help make the characters stand out from the background.

My colorblindness hates me a lot of late.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    See? I like the second picture better. Graphics are indeed a very subjective matter ;)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Swords that look like straight lines instead of a bunch of boxes welded together, whooda thunkit?
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Hmm... companion cube slime... Must write this down.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    ^ Unfortunately it doesn't seem to apply to character sprites or selection circles, though :(
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

I wonder if the fact that my first love of D&D came from my experiences playing tabletop 1st edition AD&D with very fondly remembered friends during my senior year in high school and first years of college, in 1982-1987, has something to do with this? Could it be that the early computer games I love so much duplicate that tabletop experience in a solitaire form better than any of the later offerings from game developers? Have the developers lost touch with the magic of the tabletop gaming experience?

I'm about to replay the original BG1 on Gog.com to see if I can recapture the feeling that I'm missing again.

Does anyone else understand or have insights into what I'm trying to get at here?

@BelgarathMTH I'm hearing you on FM here.
    It was the same for me and in that same time period. The fantasy games then were most definitely geared to someone used to PnP. Early HOMM, Pool of Radiance games, Bard's Tale. Temple Of Apshai by Epyx was a favorite as well.
    The top down view like BG goes along with many of those I liked.

I do think those formative years in an earlier time of computer technology, combined with the earliest version of D&D most definitely stays with one to a certain extent.