Skip to content

As far from Baldur's Gate as it gets

Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
So, I was taking a look through my GOG library last night, and came to a few realizations.

1) I've spent a lot of money buying games I haven't even played yet.

2) I need to stop spending money on games and never playing them.

3) I have no self control.

4) I have a much wider array of games than I initially thought.

Of course, a large portion of my collection are along the lines of RPGs in fantasy settings, like Wizardry 8, or the HoMM series, but I came to notice that I've actually got a good few games that aren't anywhere near that genre.

For example, the Unreal series. I absolutely love Unreal and Unreal 2 for both the gameplay, and the nostalgia of playing them as a 7-year-old on my ancient computer.

Or the Rayman games, which I bought during a recent sale. I'm a big fan of platformers when they're done right, and Rayman definitely falls under that category.

So, I thought I'd make a little thread where we can discuss and appreciate some of the great games that don't necessarily have anything in common with BG, or fantasy in general. I mean, who doesn't love blasting aliens to pieces with a rocket launcher every now and then?
KamigoroshiThacoBellJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]CrevsDaakSkatanTeflon

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I recently discovered Faeria. An amazingly fun card game on steam that actually does free to play right. I have dumped FAR too much time into it recently.
    CrevsDaakSkatan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Haven't played it in decades but I remember having a blast playing Doom back in the day. I still love the sound of a pump action shotgun!
    ThacoBellCrevsDaakSkatan
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Brutal Legend was indeed a great game. I haven't played it in years now, but I remember really enjoying it, even if I was a little doubtful at first.

I haven't hear of Faeria, but I do like a good card game here and there. Might have to check that one out.

As for Doom, it's been on my "to play" list for a while now. Classic shooters like that are always a fun way to waste away a couple hours.
    Skatan
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I play Doom, Doom II, Heretic, or Hexen (not all four necessarily but maybe sometimes) at least once a year. I mean I rarely finish them, but I play them enough to get it out of my system.

I also have a terrible habit of buying computer games and not playing them. I mean there are many reasons for this, one of them being that hope springs eternal. :)
    Skatan
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm itching to play NieR: Automata
    SethDavisCrevsDaakSkatan
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2017
    I've played a lot of Hearthstone recently (still a fantasy game I suppose, but still...). It's nice with a game that you can just pick up for a couple of minutes and still feel like you've activated some strategic part of your brain.

I also have a strange love for dark and weird adventure games. Games like Year walk, Fran Bow, The Cat Lady and I have no mouth and I must scream. Especially the last two got some really dark stuff but/and are well worth playing.

I do love to blast some aliens or zombies now and then too. But since I mostly play on console or my laptop fps games are really tricky.
    SkatanBelgarathMTH
  • KmanyKmany Member Posts: 14
    I do the same thing on Steam.. Buy a lot of games that I never play..
    I want to play them, but I just never have the time.
    And I feel guilty for playing and not working..
    But I sometimes play coop Paydyay2.
    Skatan
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Civ. I started off wargaming way back when, I've always been interested in history, and I caught the "just one more turn" disease early on.
    CrevsDaakSkatanprofanitywarning
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    When I don't play RPGs I mostly play strategy games, like the total war series. I used to play a wider array of game genres, but I'm growing old and grumpy and ie think most new FPS games are kinda crappy. I mean, the first couple of games in CoD series was amazing, it was like playing the hero in a great movie, but the latter ones are very plain and dull.

Every now and then something comes along to steal my interest, like when I found Trine 2 in a campaign. Excellent puzzle-action platform game, not at all my regular forte but so well made I played the entire game. Can highly recommend it.

The relaunch of the X-com series was one of the best game of the decade, if you ask me. It had so much of the original, so much of the feeling, and then added on even more. Too bad the second installment wasn't as good IMHO.

I've played a lot of Doom 2 in my day, mostly MP. Second only to CS (the orginal, not source or latter versions), I rank the MP games of Doom2 as the best MP frag sessions I have ever had. The speed might have been higher on Unreal Tournament, but the intensity of those session was immense. Not seldom we played for so long the frag numbers reset back to 00, just one-on-one using a cable between two old 486s PCs with 14' monitors, hehe..

Fallout games are close to my heart as well of course. They are both well worth a playthrough if you ask me. For a long time I even held FO2 higher than both BG1 and 2 (yeah, yeah.. heresy, I know ;) ), but I've realized the replayability in BG games surpasses that of the FO for me. They are still RPGs though, so not sure if they qualify for this thread.

Another category of games I miss, but don't think I will ever play again, are; "point and click" games like monkey island etc. I loved those games, but I actually think I would think they are too slow now since my patience grows thinner in the same pace as my hair. Sam & Max and Full Throttle are other games that fall into (somewhat) the same category. Same with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis etc. Great games of their age. With all the EEs for Ipads etc I reckon there should be a market for these kind of games. I've seen new versions of Monkey Island but I don't know if these other games have had remakes or EEs for pads yet.

Now this got me thinking of something really old, playing Captain Keen at my friends house. If I recall correctly there is also an old easter egg in Doom 2 where you can shoot a Capt. Keen sprite.
    ThacoBell
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've played a lot of Marathon 2 and Halo 1 MP in the past, but since I realised FPS give me headaches I don't (I sometimes do a speedrun or two on Marathon 2, but it's something that's very unusual).

Also, Ages of Empires 3, Age of Mythology, Majesty and Star Wars: Empire At War. Currently I only have SW:EaW installed since AoM doesn't even work anymore on 64 bits and my computer doesn't even have a dvd reader to install AoE3 lol.
    Skatan
    You can buy Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III on Steam, and AoM seems to run okay on my machine.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    I uh really really like Evolve.

I'm sorry gang.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    Age of Empires 2 taught me more about History then school.
    Arctodus
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I think I'm a BG addict ( I don't mind).
    Yep, Doom was pretty fun when it was first released. Nothing else lately. Got time for school n BG, thats about it.
    I stopped playing computers much after the ol Amiga was to hard to keep up with technology and blew a gasket.
    Back now, and on a PC of all things, after the Mac did not get the fastest updates(at the time)

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    vanatos said:

Age of Empires 2 taught me more about History then school.

A former coworker's son took minimal, standard history courses in high school but devoured Civ IV, too the AP History exam on a lark, and got a perfect score, passing out of two semesters of world history at a top 25 public university.
    ArctodusvanatosCrevsDaakBelgarathMTH
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't actually play that many games. The Infinity Engine games are the only RPG's I play. For strategy I play Civ V/Beyond Earth, and for hardcore wargaming I play the Steel Panthers games.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I love playing modded Skyrim, where every NPC does a silly dance instead of standing still and I can rain trains down from the sky, in a land where crabs wear monocles and shout "F@&$!"
    JoenSo
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    99% of what I play are RPGs, so "far from Baldur's Gate" is not easy for me to do XD
    SkatanBelgarathMTHkanisatha
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

You can buy Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III on Steam, and AoM seems to run okay on my machine.

AoM doesn't run on OSX. I could run it on wine but meh, I just got Majesty HD working this morning so. I might do something about AoE3, that game rocks.
    CrevsDaak said:

AoM doesn't run on OSX. I could run it on wine but meh, I just got Majesty HD working this morning so. I might do something about AoE3, that game rocks.
    Ah, okay. I thought you just had a 64-bit PC.

I missed out on the Age of Empires games when they were new, but I have 2 and 3 now, and really need to make time for them.

And Age of Mythology, which I had owned before but never finished.
    CrevsDaak
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I've been trying to make a conscious effort to play a bunch of the games I have in my GOG library lately.

I recently started playing the Heroes Chronicles games, which are basically spinoffs of Heroes of Might & Magic III. Each game is just a campaign, no single scenarios, no map creation or anything like that, so they're fairly short. Although still pretty fantasy-ish, I'm really enjoying them. The difficulty is a little toned down compared to HoMM3, as far as I can tell, but still a really entertaining experience thus far.

Let's hope I can keep this trend going and play some of my other GOG games.
    BelgarathMTH
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    edited March 2017
    tbone1 said:

A former coworker's son took minimal, standard history courses in high school but devoured Civ IV, too the AP History exam on a lark, and got a perfect score, passing out of two semesters of world history at a top 25 public university.

Wow thats one of the best stories about Civ ive ever heard lol.

Korean military school probably makes Starcraft mandatory for their trainees.

CrevsDaakThacoBellSkatantbone1
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    vanatos said:

Korean military school probably makes Starcraft mandatory for their trainees.

Hahahaha! :D

CrevsDaak
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    I play several board games - strong designs which don't require an expensive computer.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    I swear I just read a Captain Keen reference above, now that takes me back. Captain Keen, Wolfenstein, Oregon Trail, and Civilization I, the games of my childhood!

I love grand strategy games and I just got into Europa Universalis IV and I'm hooked. Nothing against Civ, I love the franchise, but if you want to learn history in a game, this is the one to play. Finally finished my first ironman game. Started as Florence, formed Tuscany, unified Italy after relieving the Pope of Rome, and colonized South America. Then I dismembered France, "liberated" Hungary, and conquered the Ottoman Empire, leaving them isolated in Australia... Italy finally took its rightful place as the most dominant nation in the world!
    Skatan
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Imperium galactica 2. Spent too long on that!
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Most of my favorites date back to early 2000s, when free time was abundant and games were scarce, so I would play the same one over and over and get it imprinted into memory.

Of relatively later releases, I very much like King's Bounty series (a must for any HoMM fan) and Sins of Solar Empire. The latter for some reason reminds me of Earth 2150, particularly when comparing Advent and Lunar Corporation races, respectively - there's a certain charm in playing a "feminine" faction with eerie soundtrack. A shame that House Ordos units in Emperor: Battle for Dune have male voices :(
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I've been spending entirely too much time playing Worms lately... I suppose as a tactical turn-based thingy it isn't a million miles from bg, but I just love the gratuitous silliness of it.
    JoenSoThacoBell
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Also Portal... I'm fully addicted to Portal.