Skip to content

Do You Cheat? (What Is Considered Cheating?)

13»

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014

How's it bugged exactly? Haven't had a need to use it yet since I don't have deaths often and Viconia's allready got Raise Dead. It's kind of just been sitting there memorized but unused on Jaheira's bark scroll.

For some reason the effect seems to be to damage the caster, (as per its description), but it does not resurrect properly.
    Here is the thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23791/5268-core-harper-s-call-bug
    I believe @CrevsDaak posted a hot fix in there. My guess is this will be resolved in the next patch.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    jackjack said:

How's it bugged exactly? Haven't had a need to use it yet since I don't have deaths often and Viconia's allready got Raise Dead. It's kind of just been sitting there memorized but unused on Jaheira's bark scroll.

For some reason the effect seems to be to damage the caster, (as per its description), but it does not resurrect properly.
    Here is the thread:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23791/5268-core-harper-s-call-bug
    I believe @CrevsDaak posted a hot fix in there. My guess is this will be resolved in the next patch.
    I've removed the damage, so it could be like cheating, it is a cheap (and quick) workaround.
    jackjack
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Does it now also polymorph the resurectee or do some wild surge? Seeing as the fix is coming from CrevsDaak...
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    One can never be sure! Chaos is bound to ensue.
    CrevsDaak
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I cheat to a certain extent

I keeper my stats to be some combination of 18/00,18,18,15,18,17; which are the highest I've ever naturally rolled in my life (a Paladin, which helps A LOT!). The statistical odds of re-rolling that are so high I say if I've won the lottery once, I've won it the rest of my life.

Sometimes I'll add a kit to a multi-class.

If I'm playing solo, I'll add a Bag of Holding to my inventory. I'm a loot vulture, can't help myself. If I don't end a playthrough with an absurd amount of gold, potions, and gear I've lost. I have done an insane solo poverty run... it was torture.

I very rarely exploit spell glitches, even though I know so many of them. I don't consider them cheating, though. Pickpocketing Kangaxx for two Rings, now that's cheating (I do this too...)
    Atarb
  • NahkriinaakNahkriinaak Member Posts: 18
    The combat makes me want to commit suicide sometimes but I always resolve to finish the game once legitimately.

Then I cheat as much as possible.
    Baptor
  • AtarbAtarb Member Posts: 15
    A few years late to the party, I have to respond to this thread.

This is what seems reasonable to me.

The golden rule about cheating is this:

"The more you cheat, the less fun you'll have." Characters become dull with cheats. I've never made it through a cheated run. Almost any cheating can really take that vintage feel out of a genuine character. It's like pristine condition versus used. You haven't worked for it, you don't deserve it.

However, some cheating is just necessary. To that end, cheating is useful for fixing basic annoyances with the game, but not in order to make it necessarily *easier*.

To wit,
    • I only use my own ability rolls - no hacking those.
    • I don't save spam, use fireballs on distant enemies, or use exploits.
    • I don't use maximum hit points rolls.
    • I use a maximum of 5 characters. Usually 4. Hard to do with a bard. 6 is just too many.
    • To that effect, I figure Core Difficulty is okay for most of the game.
    • I don't use the console (I'm on android).
    • I use EEKeeper to change the kits of NPC's. Montaron should be an assassin, that's fair!
    • I figure that original BG gives NPC's their own special ability (Minsc, Berserk; Tiax, summon Ghast, Jaheira's rez, etc.) So I choose one for anyone who doesn't have one. Seems reasonable.
    • I feel as though combining the innate abilities of kits is sort of okay (Avenger + Totemic; Jester + Blade, etc.) since many of those kits were mostly uninteresting.
    • In this game, pickpocketing is totally silly since it depends entirely on save-spamming. So I increase it so that it works if I want to use it.
    • I don't save spam. If people die, I try my best to deal with it. Can lead to interesting situations.
    • I'll fix some script annoyances such as Kivan leaving the group early.
    • Yeah, I usually give myself a scroll case and a gem case, just because it's annoying otherwise.

loliensarevok57
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2017
    I admit to sometimes rejiggering stats when I feel like it would make them more fun to use. Like with Branwen, I usually move some of her stat points around to give her more STR and CON so she can hold her own in melee and fit my tank-centric playstyle (my current party must be some kind of all-time tanking record for me--four tanks!) better.

I also reclassed Voghiln into a thief last time I played SoD because Safana's "sexy" act got on my nerves immediately and I desperately wanted someone less annoying.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    No. Take whatever HP are rolled, whatever spells are learned (or Not), chunked NPC's stay chunked, etc.

I have become so ingrained in no-reload style, I'll start over again even with an obvious bug most of the time(unless there is no fix for it)or unless I am testing a mod FOR bugs (then I'll start over afterwards anyway with a new character).
    Hardcore I know, but I'll lose interest if I re-load. Shoot, not like I am going to lose interest from playing over and over again, or stop playing, hehheh.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited March 2017
    Sometimes I "cheat" by finding a protection from petrification spell as soon as possible and go on a basilisk slaying spree solo or with one caster.

Sometimes i'll do this faster by just heading straight up to the Ankheg nest alone.

i'll jump to level 6 in about a half hour and all the npc's i want after that will be high level as well.

is that considered cheating?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nope, I never cheat. My half orc bard that rolled 100 in less than 20 min that uses control-J to get across already explored maps told me so.
    WarChiefZekeJuliusBorisovArctodussarevok57
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I'm a shameless cheater. I often ctrl+j in location I already explored and sometimes I even ctrl+j to places on the map with quest/important fight/etc. I HATE filler fights with wolves, wild dogs, bandits, and so on - I'd rather go all ctrl+y on them and lose experience points, than endure those dull encounters - especially since they provide no challenge. However, I limit myself to ctrl+ying enemies that spawn after I cleared a map.
    Usually I also heal my characters after using all healing spells before resting - I'd end up reloading rest until entire squad is healed, so it's just much quicker.
    And I use some tactics that may be consider cheating. If I send out thief as scout, and after he reports he saw some red wizards of Thay - is ambushing them with potions of explosions cheating, or is it not? ;)
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    sarevok57
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2017
    The Necromancy is strong in this Thread !

as for Bland out Cheating ? no ... i use EE Keeper to "Test" class/weapon and gear combinations , if i am pleased that character is deleted and a proper one is made and played.

I also use EE Keeper for Flavor things that don't impact the game, examples are changing Colors.
    (Beamdog did a nice one with choosing primary and secondary color but being all black n edgy is hard if your Boots are Lime green and your Belt has a Pink Gem as centerpiece)

Changing CHARNAMES Model, like Giving a Fighter the Thief Sprite, wearing a Plate will still give you the Fighter look but hide your Helmet and save you from bothersome Mismatch (or those silly Viking Horns)
    or giving a Half-Elf a Human Sprite. those kind of things.

and Lastly ... Stat points ... don't get me Wrong , rolling for them is oddly Pleasing, but i got that 101 already so i don't see a reason to spread that value around freely now without stressing my index finger in Hours of clicking reroll again.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I rarely if ever use cheats, I think @Atarb nailed it right on the head, the more I cheat the more dull my characters become, although every once in a blue moon I will make an illegal race/class combination like Halfling fighter/mage/thief or elf fighter/enchanter just to add a little flavor to my party, but other than that, notta, I don't even have the console activated in bg1 but I have it in bg2 because sometimes bg2 likes to bug up a bit and I need to fix it with the console

like for example, yesterday I was grinding fire giants in yaga shura's enclave to hit 8 million xp and my cleric/illusionist finally hit level 25 in her cleric class and she was given the symbol of helm when she was good alignment.... which means she cant use the item, so I thought; ah, lol buddy? there's a nice little bug, so instead I just consoled in the symbol of lathander so I could actually use the holy symbol I was supposed to get

also 99% of the time when I use EE keeper, it's to make my sprites look different, sometimes I make all my characters look like drow ( which actually looks pretty neat) of even when I make a sorcerer or monk I will make him look like jon irenicus, in retrospect its not really cheating because it doesn't really add anything beneficial to your character, so I never feel bad for doing it
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    edited March 2017
    In addition to what my hubby @Mathsorcerer said: when playing on PC the ability to mod the game, add items, characters and even "new equipment" that is all part of the experience for many, and is not usually considered cheating. Unless, you go extremely over board , but really it is your game, you are not playing on-line and it is yours to do with what you wish. IF you can live with it...
    Artona
  • AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
    I don't use console commands or EEKeeper; not really a matter of whether or not I consider it cheating, but really more of the fact that I haven't figured out everything in BG yet so using it to bring in something that I shouldn't have yet (although it looks ok enough...) feels wrong.

I don't consider save-reloading cheating if you have to come back from a game over, or if a weird bug happens (like earlier Oublek decided to go for a walk and I couldn't find him around the garrison, so reloaded) but if you are reloading a save because you got caught stealing that really fancy gem then that is cheating. At least in my opinion anyways.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    I generally only cheat with EEKeeper to make the rather underpowered NPCs decent (especially ones like Rasaad in BG1), tweak NPC classes (like letting Imoen be a Swashbuckler) and to make race/class combinations that aren't strictly allowed by the rules.

I always get caught between making my own characters and wanting to see the NPC interactions, so it lets me have my cake and eat it too.

For the rest, it may not technically be balanced to have, say, a Dwarf Paladin, but I can't think of a good reason why this wouldn't exist in-game. If Bioware/Beamdog can fudge the rules here (I'm looking at you, Dorn and Aerie), I don't see why I can't.
    Arctodus
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    IIRC, and this is making my memory go way back, in the first two editions of AD&D, non-human NPCs could be multiclass clerics, but not PCs. Well, half-elves and half-orcs could. So technically, Aerie is not outside those rules.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    But she isn't allowed by the rules that are used for the game.

She would also be OK in 3.x and 5e. Just like Dwarf Paladins and the like.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I believe in 2ed (which BG2 is based on) Avariel could be Mage/Cleric multiclasses.
    Neverused
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    For my most recent one, I consoled in a Silver Necklace for the Wild Mage Refuge talisman thing. I know I probably could've just raided a couple houses to find one, but...
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2017
    When I want the stats of a half-orc or dwarf but I want the to look like a human... :D

Convenience cheats such as unlimited stacking of items are a must for me to not rage quit for pack-mewling pack and fourth.

To be fair though sometimes I edit/mod the game because the original version feels overpowered and cheating (e.g that cheesy +6 Halberd insta kill with no save makes bosses a cakewalk. So I use a mod to make it a hard save VS death instead so the enemy has a fighting chance against me)
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Teleport in outside zones/zones ive already fully cleared. Walking is just too damn slow haha
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2017
    I would say cheating entails anything that a game designer didn't expect you to do with the system. A developer from Obsidian entertainment says "You have to expect players are going to find ways to break your game or find ways to manipulate a system, and that's where trying to be a game designer has its limitations."

Now, I'm paraphrasing there, but that was the jist of statement.

A little "cheat" is to remove mages from your party, beef them with purchased mage spells and getting cheap experience. Then rinse and repeat.

If a quest breaks, or something doesn't activate, I'd say using the CLUA console doesn't count as cheating.

Um, let's see, back in the day: using a wand of cloudkill on Firkraag to drop him, lol, totally cheating... (there was a glitch where he wouldn't react unless you were in his field of vision).

Spawning items, eh, cheat.

Leaving an area to rest when you're losing a fight, when another enemy won't follow you -> cheating, IMO

Finally, kiting?? (I think it's called) -> where you make a specific enemy chase you around and around while using missile characters to kill the enemy. That's a definite cheat.

Farming is okay. Resting and respawning enemies, that's okay - it IS an RPG, after all...

Edit: Oh ya, this one is important. Picking up all crap items on the ground and stuff to sell for cheap loot - I honestly don't consider that a cheat. In a sense, I just role play that I'm also a merchant. For instance, in NWN2 you can actually worship Waukeen as your character's deity. So it makes sense, in that instance, that I'd be obsessed with selling merchandise.

Also, loot is loot. And I wanna be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO rich.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Yeah I only make Dwarven characters now. All the dwarf lovers convinced me they are greater than half Orcs. And I agree now.