Skip to content

I...HATE...you...(companion edition)

Lets have a little Vent Thread for everyone ! to Bash on those Companions you really really really HATE.

Rules are:
only NPC Companions, of all Games and Addons. (specify if BG1 or BG2 etc.)
multiple Nominations are allowed.
a short Crisp description why you hate them.

i kick this off with.

Neera : not only lost she all sympathy after playing EE the first time throwing my lone weak lvl 1 in combat who just wanted to scrounge up some easy XP, but also her personality and voice just want me to punch her in the Face, repeatedly...as a max Level Monk.

Imoen (BG1) : That voice.... that insufferable voice.

Jaheira+Khalid : Those two give you a new Respect for Gorion .... to deal with that much incompetence and come home back alive.

Minsc : Stomping on Hamster intensifies

so thats it for my Personal Hate list..who brings your Toenails to roll up ? makes your mouth foam in rage ? or kick a puppy ?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2017
    Edwin. He's a walking caricature with a cheesy gimmick gameplay-wise that crowds out other mages, and his character is static and unlikable. Never managed a full run with him, never will.

Dorn. What a massive f***ing disappointment he turned out to be. His character had so much potential in many ways but he just had to be shoehorned into the generic evil path no matter what you do. Unlike the other evil NPCs except for Hexxat (who I have other issues with but don't dislike) it became impossible to ever roleplay him in anything but an evil party due to his atrocious BG2 quests. He was originally my favorite of the EE NPCs before BG2:EE but now I never take him with me.

Viconia. I do not hate the character but her romance is easily my least favorite of the original four.

Jan. Just... get him as far away from me as humanly possible. He was little more than annoying to me before I started modding but now that I have to write banters for the little b***ard. He has a brief moment of becoming interesting in his quest but almost everything else is nothing more than turnips and nonsense from start to finish. Walking waste of a party slot.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Haer'dalise can go eat an arrow of detonation. He's slimy, pompous, annoying, and wants to use Aerie. And not all that great from power gaming because of his lowish stats. They should have named him Wayne Kerr.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @DevardKrown

Are you my BG twin?

Superb selection and spot on reasons. :D

I wonder if the the game's bias towards these characters has had the opposite effect to what was hoped for?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Baeloth's voice is obnoxious.

That's all the hate I can spare.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've always felt that Imoen's role in BG2 is too big, which is what led me to consider her a bit annoying, but nothing more than that. Also, her talk in Candlekeep for Bhaal's sake. There's nothing worse than NPCs that talk to you so early on without you being able to avoid it.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

@DevardKrown

Are you my BG twin?

Superb selection and spot on reasons. :D

I wonder if the the game's bias towards these characters has had the opposite effect to what was hoped for?

possible ! but that makes you a Baalspawn too ..and i need your Essence ! Mohhahaha~
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    I uh never liked Jaheria in either game :/

Her attitude and accent throws me off. I like her stats and ability but I always feel like bringing her along is a downer, especially in 2.

Runner Up - Aerie.

Sorry world.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2017
    The only companion I've dealt with much so far that I've grown to dislike is Xan. He's as durable as wet tissue paper and he's such a defeatist. At least Sand in Neverwinter Nights 2 was incredibly sarcastic and had a lot of dry wit. Made him funny.

I love Xan's specialization as an Enchanter though. That's a fun specialization.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2017
    Garrick - "Yes sir!!!!!!" *Ugh*

Dorn - I dig the voice acting, his plot is alright (in BG:EE at least), but the name bothers the hell out of me. Dorn... as in the Dwarven City of "Dorn's Deep" from Icewind Dale? Yeah Yeah, cultures use similar names differently, etc. but still.

Baeloth - Just unnecessary cheese. Especially given that he isn't even in BG2. He starts with a robe of the archmagi for crying out loud. Also, why create an NPC that doubles up on the fact that evil alignment has the best mage in the game. Now they have the two best.

Korgan - The character himself is humorous, but its like the game creators said... eh, Kagain is just a fighter. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Let's ditch him and put this guy in. His name even sound's like Kagain's. I like Kagain a lot.

@HaHaCharade , I always took Dorn's name as a tribute to Michael Dorn, who played Worf on Star Trek: The Next Generation. If BG were a live action movie and Dorn was in it, Michael Dorn would be perfect for the role. Unless he was already busy playing Sarevok.

Ha, we are re-watching TNG for the 500th time as we speak. Michael Dorn makes me think of those shampoo commercials he did.

"Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo. It works!"
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

@HaHaCharade , I always took Dorn's name as a tribute to Michael Dorn, who played Worf on Star Trek: The Next Generation. If BG were a live action movie and Dorn was in it, Michael Dorn would be perfect for the role. Unless he was already busy playing Sarevok.

Iirc Michael Dorn voiced Bhaal in SoA (but not in ToB).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    The only one I really dislike is Neera. There are many NPCs I find to be lacking in character development, voice acting, class/skills etc or a combination of several of these, but none that I really "hate". Neera though is just a combo of everything I would never use:
    * Teenage drama tv show voice acting - Check!
    * "Quirky" and "clumpsy" in a way that is supposed to be cute and funny - Check!
    * .. yeah, can't think of more than those, but that's more than enough.

Never used her more than her personal quests, then she get's dumped asap (I'm a exp and item hoarder so I usually do many of the NPC side quests).

Jaheira's voice set in BG1 which is just annoying all the time when you issue commands. I don't hate it enough to say I hate it though and I still use her from time to time. Sometimes she get's muted by mistake :) (Yes, I AM indeed an omnipresent authority figure that can mute all those that disturb me!)
    Skatan said:

The only one I really dislike is Neera. There are many NPCs I find to be lacking in character development, voice acting, class/skills etc or a combination of several of these, but none that I really "hate". Neera though is just a combo of everything I would never use:
    * Teenage drama tv show voice acting - Check!
    * "Quirky" and "clumpsy" in a way that is supposed to be cute and funny - Check!
    * .. yeah, can't think of more than those, but that's more than enough.

Never used her more than her personal quests, then she get's dumped asap (I'm a exp and item hoarder so I usually do many of the NPC side quests).

Jaheira's voice set in BG1 which is just annoying all the time when you issue commands. I don't hate it enough to say I hate it though and I still use her from time to time. Sometimes she get's muted by mistake :) (Yes, I AM indeed an omnipresent authority figure that can mute all those that disturb me!)

I probably like Neera the best out of the new NPCs. She's creative, Wild Mages are neat and cool, and she's Neutral which is a plus. Rasaad is also creative. Dorn and Baeloth are just super cheese in terms of stats and ability.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Ajantis: Too self-righteous.

Edwin: Unearned arrogance.

Kagain: Cartoonishly obsessed with gold.

Voghiln: I don't even know why, he just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't even hate them, I just don't really prefer to have them in my parties. I love everyone else though, they are all my beautiful babies.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Why all the hate?

Imma drop my favorite chars instead;

Mazzy Fentan - perky, confident and street smart. Why is she not romancable ??? >:(

and

Xan - He is hilarous, especially if you kick him out and ask him to join again
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    It seems to me like a lot of the reasons people hate certain NPCs is for the characters themselves, and not actually anything to do with the gameplay.

That, if you ask me, speaks volumes for the kind of writing that appears in these games. No one's hating on characters for being broken, or being too weak, they're hating on them for their personalities.

If someone can dislike a character on a personal level, such as Aerie being too whiny, or Haer'Dalis being a bit of a scummy guy, I think that proves just how well written a lot of the characters are. They have a personality, and they stick to it. The BG team didn't write Jan as less annoying so more people would like him, and they didn't write Xan as a little more cheerful just so people would tolerate him a little more. They had an idea, and they stuck to it. That's something we, unfortunately, don't see a whole lot in games these days. Or maybe I'm playing the wrong games.

Granted, there are still some complaints here unrelated to what I just said, but they're certainly not the majority.

Now, as for me, Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 2 just never felt right to me. As I write this I'm struggling to pinpoint an exact reason, but I can't. She just rubs me the wrong way. She did the same in BG1, but not nearly as much as in BG2. I haven't really given her much of a shot in SoD however. Her character just feels so distant to the Bhaalspawn, despite probably being the closest thing he's got to family besides Imoen. I guess it kinda makes me feel bad for the charname.

On the other hand, my love for the gnomes of the BG franchise will probably never falter, despite all the people I see who complain about them. :D

Long live the names Tiax, Quayle, Glint, and Jan!
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Jaheira is not distant, she is just complicated. She has a multitude of topics she feels passionately about, however, several of them are incompatible, so whenever she speaks - unless all her emotions agree, for instance when she is outing slavers - she is conflicted. She also has a tendency to say whatever is on top of her head, no filter. Take Khalid for instance. She is repulsed by his general lack of balls, but she is attracted to his gentleness and kind heart - he is also very forgiving, which you need either that or a thick skin to date Jaheira.

Also take the Bhaalspawn. She is very conflicted about her emotions towards him (if you play male) because its been so soon since Khalid passed. She is also a harper, and should not fraternise with evildoers (if you have a low reputation). Basically, she just needs some more harmony in her life.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited March 2017
    Never really liked any of the EE companions. The writing is, imo, not as good as the original companions. Granted I only really tried Neera from start to finish because I couldn't stand the other ones long enough. She's... okay-ish. A lot cringe moments with her too though.

Baeloth seems cool enough, but I guess he's more of an easter egg, and he's not in BG2.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2017
    Glint Gardnersonson. We've already had several wacky gnomes, but none that play up the gnomish wackiness (where are the gnomes that aren't wacky?) quite as offensively as Glint, with that screeching voice and obnoxiously over-the-top enthusiasm in everything he says. And unless you want to use the equally annoying Safana (hey baby I'm a sexy lady I'm so SEXY I want to have SEX have I mentioned how SEXY I am?), you must include him in your party.

(OK, Safana doesn't, as far as I know, outright say "sex" because Rule #431 of the standard fantasy setting is that people must never talk frankly about it but nearly everything she says is an allusion to it)

I never understood the Corwin hate though. She's not your friend, she's doing her job assigned by her superiors by watching your back. The city of Baldur's Gate is her first concern, her family the second, and everything else comes last. Why would you expect her to be all nice and warm and willing to put up with party members who are annoying, evil, or both?
    tbone1 said:

Haer'dalise can go eat an arrow of detonation. He's slimy, pompous, annoying, and wants to use Aerie. And not all that great from power gaming because of his lowish stats. They should have named him Wayne Kerr.

I hope Beamdog puts Voghiln into BG2:EE, because he's the only bard available in the games who's actually any good, either in terms of stats (his are great) or personality (ze accent ist fun, ja?).
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited March 2017
    @Woolie_Wool

Why the hate for Corwin?

Well, accent for a start off "dooty", it's spelt with a "u", (though she's likely illiterate as she comes across that "stoopid")

And yes, she should be damn respectful of anybody who has traveled with charname and spared her city from war and tyranny regardless of her uptight, "I am the law" attitude.
    What exactly was she doing at the time?

When you look at what's going on in BG, regardless of Sarevok, the FF must be one of the most corrupt and useless organisations in existance.
    Can't even have a quick gander in the sewers just to check if a murderer is holed up there?
    And Neb, they let Neb escape?

She has nothing to be proud of yet behaves as if she is one of the annointed.
    Yep, hate, definitely hate.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    there's one character I dislike, and one character I hate:

dislike: anjantis

I don't care much about role play and personality and all that jazz, usefulness is what I look for, and for being a melee warrior,he is mediocre at best, anything he can do, anyone else can just do it better, if his strength was say 18/51, then he would be a real contender, but 17 STR is just crap because he has10 DEX, that is just ouch, and 16 CON isn't really that great either, so sorry holmes, but you kind of stink

the NPC I hate ( and it's thanks to beamdog): Sharteel

my question is why? she was awesome in the original BG, but now she is crippled over TERRIBLE weapon proficiency choices, first of all, she is not going to hit 4 proficiencies in long sword anymore, which I know isn't much over 3, but power gaming is power gaming, and even then, why oh why, does she have 1 point on long swords and one point on daggers with 2 points on two weapon style? it's totally bogus, first of all, this is 2nd edition dnd, you don't need a light weapon in your off hand, so doing the light weapon off hand thing is just plain pointless especially in BG1 where levels are low and you can spend time wasting proficiencies on crap, now my assumption is that beamdog might have thought that everyone who uses her duals her into a thief, and that they would go straight to dual wield if they did, again this is not 3rd edition, and also, some people ( like me ) keep her as a fighter because she rocks at that aspect, every since that horrendous proficiency choice was made for shar-teel I will never EVER use her again of coarse I could just mod shar-teel and fix her, but I don't like modding my BG games, so with that being said, shar-teel can go pound sand
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    A gentleman named Firkraag already took care of the Ajantis problem^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited March 2017
    Here are my picks (not taking their stats into account):

Neera -> It doesn't feel like she belongs in the universe. She sounds terribly "modern" and too weird to be believable. Cringy comments and jokes.

Edwin -> Delusional, arrogant, traitorous and quite stupid at times (unwise genius). Banters are quite funny though (even insightful at times). And his quest is a good reason to put up with him for a while. Hilarity ensues...

Aerie -> Whiny, stuttering, and annoyingly insecure. Hard to put up with. On the upside, I find her sense of morality pleasing. Even though she's lawful good, she isn't as self-righteous as Anomen or Keldorn.

Nalia -> Her battlecry "for the needy" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Well, not quite, but almost. Her whole approach to life and justice doesn't agree with me.

Glint -> Like Neera but even more annoying in most respects.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    sarevok57 said:

the NPC I hate ( and it's thanks to beamdog): Sharteel

my question is why? she was awesome in the original BG, but now she is crippled over TERRIBLE weapon proficiency choices, first of all, she is not going to hit 4 proficiencies in long sword anymore, which I know isn't much over 3, but power gaming is power gaming, and even then, why oh why, does she have 1 point on long swords and one point on daggers with 2 points on two weapon style? it's totally bogus, first of all, this is 2nd edition dnd, you don't need a light weapon in your off hand, so doing the light weapon off hand thing is just plain pointless especially in BG1 where levels are low and you can spend time wasting proficiencies on crap, now my assumption is that beamdog might have thought that everyone who uses her duals her into a thief, and that they would go straight to dual wield if they did, again this is not 3rd edition, and also, some people ( like me ) keep her as a fighter because she rocks at that aspect, every since that horrendous proficiency choice was made for shar-teel I will never EVER use her again of coarse I could just mod shar-teel and fix her, but I don't like modding my BG games, so with that being said, shar-teel can go pound sand

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24940&p=252284
    /shameless self promotion