Skip to content

As far from Baldur's Gate as it gets

2»

Comments

• JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Worms! The very first game I bought with my own money! The absolutely first one that is, back in... 1994 or something? How's the good ol' series doing these days? I don't think I've played a worms game since one of the 3D ones on the original xbox.
    CrevsDaak
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    JoenSo said:

Worms! The very first game I bought with my own money! The absolutely first one that is, back in... 1994 or something? How's the good ol' series doing these days? I don't think I've played a worms game since one of the 3D ones on the original xbox.

It's pretty much the same, but with more variety of weapons and daft voices... it's just good fun.

The game I really want to play again is Hogs of War... but I can't find my old copy. :(
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    abacus said:

It's pretty much the same, but with more variety of weapons and daft voices... it's just good fun.

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess. I'll have to try it again some day.

Which reminds me. The first time I heard that expression was in the space game Escape Velocity. That was good fun. Exploring the galaxy as a pirate who occasionally supported the rebellion. (the thing that wasn't broken/didn't need fixing was the gatling guns you could mount on your ship).

There's a clone of that game, called Endless sky, available for free on Steam if anyone wanted to know.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Papa_Lou said:

So, I was taking a look through my GOG library last night, and came to a few realizations.

1) I've spent a lot of money buying games I haven't even played yet.

2) I need to stop spending money on games and never playing them.

3) I have no self control.

Hey buddy, this is your friendly neighbourhood dragon here to tell you to stop throwing your money away on games and instead send it to me! I'll through it away on art supplies!

XD

[Deleted User]
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I massively enjoy survival horror games like Amnesia and Outlast. Most recently I've been hooked on Resident Evil 7 - it's really really good! :open_mouth:
    ThacoBell
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Adul said:

I massively enjoy survival horror games like Amnesia and Outlast. Most recently I've been hooked on Resident Evil 7 - it's really really good! :open_mouth:

I'm not usually a fan of horror games (not for any reason outside of me having the nerves of a 5-year-old), but I did watch a YouTuber play through Resident Evil 7, and it honestly looked like a really well-done game. I even contemplated giving it a shot for a while.

I'm just too busy*.

*Read: scared.
    AdulThacoBellSkatan
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I haven't played Anachronox for quite some time. It was one of my favorites back in the days. It had that special kind of humor I haven't found in any other games so far. I even made a movie out of it which still sits (or sleeps) on one of my DVDs.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Papa_Lou said:

Adul said:

I'm not usually a fan of horror games (not for any reason outside of me having the nerves of a 5-year-old), but I did watch a YouTuber play through Resident Evil 7, and it honestly looked like a really well-done game. I even contemplated giving it a shot for a while.

I'm just too busy*.

*Read: scared.
    I can really only recommend it, it's tremendous fun. (In a terrifying, disturbing way.) The first playthrough was quite the thrill ride, but I think one of the game's real strengths is its replay value. Unlockable items, achievements, difficulty modes, challenges, etc. The game itself isn't that long (~10 hours), but it's kept me busy for weeks now. I think I must have played it through 8 times, maybe more. And I haven't even touched any DLC yet.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    FTL:Faster Than Light and Deathroad to Canada are my current go-tos for non-RPG games lately. Both games were acts of faith to buy...neither is what I would consider being in a genre I'd normally enjoy, but both are deservedly very highly rated. I can play either for a few minutes or a few hours at a time!
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBell
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    Waiting eagerly for a steam special for the Nonary games (999, VLR, Zero escape: time dilemma)

Until then I had a lot of fun playing other similar morbid "whodunit" style games like Dragonronpa 1 and 2.
    KuronaCrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263

I have to get back to my BG run, but I'm also looking forward to Yooka-Laylee. :)

Totally agree. Yooka-Laylee looks like such a fun game. Really brings me back to the N64 day, so it'll probably be an instant buy for me.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • KrugosKrugos Member Posts: 30
    Other than the Infinity Engine games, I'm mostly into old games I grew up with. I love my Commodore 64 oldies, the early Lucas Arts adventure games (my favorites are Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island 1), the Kyrandia series, Another World, the Warlords Battlecry series, etc.

As for more recent games, the Shadowrun Return series are now between my all time favorites; I used to play the SNES game, so it was fun to return to that universe.

Also looking forward to play the new game by Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, Thimbleweed Park, but I can't afford it at the moment... I live in the country with the worst economy in the world, Venezuela, and recently things are not going good at all for me. I still hope to buy it eventually at full price to support the developers, though.

I would love to try the games inspired by the Infinity Engine, like the new Torment and Pillars of Eternity, but they won't run in my old computer.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakArctodusSkatan
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited April 2017
    When I'm not playing IE games, which are pretty much the only games I've been playing for the last two/three years, me and my wife play old SNES games like Donkey Kong Country, SMW, Mario-Kart and the likes...

These are the games I grew up with as a kid, which is why I love them, but I also think that it's not only because of nostalgia... SNES classics hold up pretty well by today standard in my opinion. Games were simple yet effective, and the cartoony type of graphics look much better than the early days of the 3d. Donkey Kong Country games look absolutely fabulous even today.
    Papa_LouKrugosThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • KrugosKrugos Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2017
    Arctodus said:

These are the games I grew up with as a kid, which is why I love them, but I also think that it's not only because of nostalgia... SNES classics hold up pretty well by today standard in my opinion. Games were simple yet effective, and the cartoony type of graphics look much better than the early days of the 3d. Donkey Kong Country games look absolutely fabulous even today.

I agree. Those games were really well designed, they were fun then and are still fun nowadays. My nephew (5 years old) is a huge fan of the NES and SNES Mario games (he plays Super Mario All-Stars, which includes Mario World and the NES games with updated graphics), he also loves Donkey Kong Country.

As for the early 3D graphics, I never liked that stuff, and it was one reason (not the only one) I lost interest in video games for many years. Nowadays I only play old games or retro-looking.

The SNES was the last console I ever owned, I have fond memories of it. :)
    Arctodus[Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    proccoThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you need to keep in mind that squaree had never done 3d before ff7. so the models are just 3d versions of the 2d models they used in the snes era whitch had big heads.

that being said ff7 looks fine to me but it's not 9 now that is the best looking ps1 ff game.
    Arctodus
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    FF7 had pretty bad SD characters but the backgrounds could be gorgeous. It's a shame they lost the original art for a HD release :(
    Arctodus[Deleted User]
  • Teo_liveTeo_live Member Posts: 186
    I thought FF8 was the true masterpiece. To this day I cannot find characters so well designed or pictured backgrounds that look so visually beautiful.
    FinneousPJ
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    ThacoBell said:

What are you guys talking about? Final Fantasy 7 has aged extremely well! :smiley:

He wants his MTV.
    Balrog99CrevsDaak