Skip to content

Multiplayer.

Probably a bit late now asking for this as a feature. I know the original didn't have multiplayer. I was curious as to how difficult this would have been to add as an option in the Enhanced Edition?
BlackorbCrevsDaakTeflon

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    From a business standpoint I can understand not wanting to add this feature. From a player standpoint it's a big kids since the Infinity Engine Enhanced can obviously support multiplayer. This is another factor that leaves this game not feeling enhanced
    RAM021
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited March 2017
    billbisco said:

From a business standpoint I can understand not wanting to add this feature. From a player standpoint it's a big kids since the Infinity Engine Enhanced can obviously support multiplayer. This is another factor that leaves this game not feeling enhanced

I think a multiplayer mode wouldn't feel right since many (or most) actions can only be performed by the protagonist in PST. There are also several situations where your party members are (temporarily) removed from the party.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovineth
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

The story in the game is really tightly focused, and would not make sense with another Nameless One or other player character.
    It's not really the kind of game where multiplayer makes sense.

Nameless Thing 1 and Nameless Thing 2?

(Apologies to Dr. Seuss :smile: )
    New art assets were uncovered in the making of PST:EE!

Is... is that Morte hanging down their loincloth...? Gee, I don't envy his nose.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    argent77 said:

billbisco said:

I think a multiplayer mode wouldn't feel right since many (or most) actions can only be performed by the protagonist in PST. There are also several situations where your party members are (temporarily) removed from the party.
    When I have my brother and father over, the "right feel" is being able to play a game together.

From a business standpoint, the multiplayer market is much smaller than the single player market for infinity engine games and it would be work to ensure multiplayer compatibility and they probably feel they couldn't raise the price to compensate.

Still though something as simple as letting my family members control my acquired in-game companions was achievable. The lack of any significant gameplay options really undermines the "Enhanced" tagline.
    RAM021
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm going to disagree completely with the above post and say that some games are just not meant to be multiplayer. Trying to shoehorn that into PS:T would be like trying to fit a square in a round hole.

I also disagree that "merely" updating the game in the technical sense doesn't earn the "Enhanced" tagline.

To be perfectly honest, this is what I wish they had done with BG and BG2 in the first place. There was no need for The Black Pits, new NPCs or even a completely new UI skin. IMHO all these things either distract players from the original content which stood very well on its own or rob the games of their original charm.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    argent77 said:

billbisco said:

Sort of like in Baludr's Gate...?