Skip to content

Please, make upcoming Planescape: Torment EE 64-bit (on Linux)!

shmerlshmerl Member Posts: 11
edited March 2017 in Feature Requests
Dear Beamdog, please make Planescape: Torment EE (or any other upcoming game for that matter), 64-bit on Linux. Don't make it 32-bit like your previous releases which suffer from this bug (they don't have LFS support, and fail on large XFS partitions because of that).

There is no need to release stuff in 32-bit for Linux these days. And if you for some reason have no choice (like using some bad middleware that's not buildable in 64-bit), then at least don't forget to enable LFS during build time! In GCC it's done with:
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
[Deleted User]

Comments

• rafebelmontrafebelmont Member Posts: 1
    I second that. Not everyone will suffer from this currently, but it is going to be a huge issue in the near future.
    shmerl
  • shmerlshmerl Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2017
    GOG so far don't indicate that the game is 32-bit, which is good, but also it's possible they didn't finalize system requirements page.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The fix is easy, but they didn't respond to the bug.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    64-bit probably won't happen for the release. We're working on it, though, and hoping to get it eventually.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]shmerlCrevsDaak

64-bit probably won't happen for the release. We're working on it, though, and hoping to get it eventually.

Thanks. Can you please at least make sure you set
    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
    When compiling? And what exactly causes you difficulty in making it 64-bit?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    tbone1Avenger_teambgCrevsDaak
    edited March 2017
    lefreut said:

Old codebases that were not written with 64 bit in mind can be tricky to update. It's much more work than just changing a compiler flag.

Possibly, if they are really old and weren't written cleanly. Though C99 (and subsequently C++) already has stdint, and that's already not new for a long time.

Other problem could be some messed up middleware, which is obsolete and doesn't even have 64-bit version to begin with.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    edited March 2017
    Are they actually using some original code of Infinity Engine? I thought for some reason they re-implemented the whole thing from scratch.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    shmerl said:

Are they actually using some original code of Infinity Engine? I thought for some reason they re-implemented the whole thing from scratch.

It is still built on the original code. A lot of stuff, like fileformats are heavily affected by offsets.
    CrevsDaakshmerl
    edited April 2017

It is still built on the original code. A lot of stuff, like fileformats are heavily affected by offsets.

Thanks for the info! Try building it with LFS enabled please, until you'll be able to release it in 64-bit proper.

edited April 2017
    Well, I just downloaded the GOG version, and the game is crashing for me on startup...
    @Avenger_teambg @JuliusBorisov
    Did you actually build it with
    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
    It's a simple compiler define, that makes sure that 32-bit build is using filesystem functions that are working with LFS properly. Not doing it is simply wrong in today's systems.
    Post edited by shmerl on
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2017
    @ScottBrook: Thanks! I just tested it, and it works (it's proper 64-bit). The only problem I had on my Debian testing with that, was missing libjson.so.0 which I had to get from Jessie.

See here.

Also, Debian testing is missing 32-bit libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0, so when I was trying to run the 32-bit version, I had to copy them from Jessie as well. As a general improvement, you should better use newest SSL, and as well newest libsjon-c3. Older ones are becoming obsolete.
    Post edited by shmerl on
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
    By the way, do you plan to update Baldur's Gate EE games with 64-bit builds too?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The PST:EE beta for patch 3.1.3 is now live on Steam. It brings, among other things, the 64 bit Linux support. So if you opt into the beta, you now can try the the 64 bit version.
    [Deleted User]elminster