Skip to content

Inventory-targeted spells

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
In a spell ability I can choose Inventory as the target. How does that work?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Let's hear from the optimists next.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2017
    Why not create one and find out?

FWIW, IESDP reports using target (2) as "Crash"

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/spl_v1.htm
    AstroBryGuy
    There are quite a few things IESDP is wrong about, down to not knowing the difference between an integer and a string.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2017
    chimeric said:

There are quite a few things IESDP is wrong about, down to not knowing the difference between an integer and a string.

Then take my original suggestion. Create spells that use that target the inventory and test them out. See what happens.

If there inaccuracies in the IESDP, suggest changes. It's on GitHub.
    Grammarsalad
    Life is too short to be alruistic. Here we're a bunch of villains who benefit from helping each other out, that's how I like to see it. But to go out to GitHub when they haven't fixed a very basic error in an ages-old action... nah.

Your first suggestion is better, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to be a freaking Columbus all the time.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    How is correcting errors on the IESDP "altruistic"? Wouldn't you also benefit from a more accurate IESDP? ( you might forget about the errors you have found and it'd sure be convenient to look them up again). What does the IESDP have to do with anybody's well being? Would you be increasing somebody's reproductive fitness? Whose? How?

That seems to be me to be a silly billy comment
    AstroBryGuy
    For the same reason that you, or in any event I, don't go out to the courtyard of my apartment building and start clearing up garbage and look for things to fix. There are people whose job it is, who don't mind having that as a job and aren't suited for anything more creative. But in this capacity they are useful and it gives them peace of mind. Good. For my part, I'm going to use it and make something interesting to play with it, and if I discover a new or strange feature or idea, I'll post it. Everybody wins, but not by pulling in the same team.
    KuronaGrammarsaladsemiticgoddessContemplative_Hamster
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited April 2017
    It does nothing. There's the red outline around the spell/innate icon indicating targetting mode but there isn't any way to target something. If you open your inventory it cancels the spell and obviously you can't cast anything with the inventory already open.

Source: I just tried

Edit: I was curious myself, I didn't do it for you
    Grammarsaladsemiticgoddess
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited April 2017
    Kurona said:

It does nothing. There's the red outline around the spell/innate icon indicating targetting mode but there isn't any way to target something. If you open your inventory it cancels the spell and obviously you can't cast anything with the inventory already open.

Source: I just tried

Edit: I was curious myself, I didn't do it for you

But you didn't have to report it, you "altruistic" person, you. :)
    ---------
    Chim:

I'm not sure if you are answering me or subtle, but either way, that answer misses the point.

Even if you don't benefit directly, you ( would) benefit from the spirit of collaboration (reciprocal altruism isn't actually altruism).

And, anyway, "altruism" is the wrong description. When people use the term altruism, they are talking about a meaningful sacrifice, and a meaningful contribution to another's well being.

If we are talking biology, then a "meaningful sacrifice" involves a reduction in reproductive fitness. Economically, it's an opportunity cost, sure, but there are foreseeable gains.

Heh, stating that you refuse to be "altruistic" is actually more "altruistic" in regards to the sacrifice criteria: there is no foreseeable gain making that assertion, but there is a foreseeable loss. It makes you look kinda jerky, and people are less inclined to help those they judge to be jerks. As someone that likes to ask for help a lot, it would be in your best interest to keep that in mind.

In any case, the gain in "utility" from your suggestions will likely be close to nil, though this is the most plausible way to characterize how you might contribute meaningfully to anybody's "well being". But, again, it's not altruism as you would likely benefit from a more accurate IESDP ( and/or the ' spirit of cooperation').

This contribution wouldn't even register on anybody's moral radar, obviously. Making a suggested fix for the IESDP is not on par with (e.g.) risking your life to save a stranger from death)
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    Before UI.menu modding was enabled I would have stated "inventory-targeted spells" are not possible and that identify spell/scroll behavior is hardcoded. Now I am not so sure. There might be a way to enable "inventory-targeted spells" via UI.menu modding in a sense that identify is cast when already in the inventory. Unfortunately I am not so familiar with that aspect of UI editing nor am I "altruistic" enough to try.

Let's say after a lot of effort you manage to find out a way to modify UI.menu so that your spell can be cast when clicking on a button when in the inventory (like identify). Then what happens when you cast the spell? What are the intended effects?
    Kurona

Actually with mods...

I'm not talking to you, subtledoctor. I've seen on the Gibberlings board that you're too thick. Why don't you just stay out of my threads?

To @Kurona - well, you could have done it for me. But at least you've done it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    NoobaccasemiticgoddessContemplative_HamsterAstroBryGuy