Skip to content

Summoned monsters seem useless

13»

Comments

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2017
    Planetars are stronger than Devas, but Devas use a Disruption weapon (kills undead) while Planetars use a vorpal weapon. Paladins can cheaply summon Devas (no level 7 spell slot required) and Devas are pretty much the only way a divine caster can gain access to the Haste spell, which can be relevant for some party compositions.

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

ThacoBell said:

Something that I've wondered about for some time. Is there an appreciable difference between the Deva and Planeatar? HAving both seems kind of wasteful as you can only have one celestial at a time anyway.

Devas suck, IMHO. They have way fewer and weaker spells than the Planetar does, and I don't think their weapon counts as a vorpal weapon the way the Planetar sword does. They probably have worse stats, as well, though I don't know all of the stat blocks like some people around here.
    "Suck" is an awfully harsh word, there. Devas aren't as powerful as Planetars, but they're still plenty powerful, have a weapon that dispels on hit, last twice as long as the elemental princes, etc. They're the second-best summon in the game, and are more than powerful enough to clean out much of ToB by themselves.

Plus, since they don't take up level 9 mage spell slots, the opportunity cost is much, much lower. Every Planetar you summon is a Time Stop you passed up. Every Deva you summon is... I don't know, a Fire Storm or an Earthquake or something. Not a Time Stop, at any rate.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Masklin said:

in whatever hilarious ways imaginable, I will be 10/10 impressed.

Well, I can think of Aerie tanking, Imoen kills dragon in one hit, Keldorn takes 1024 damage from A>C........ It really depends on how much you know about this game :-)

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

Masklin said:

in whatever hilarious ways imaginable, I will be 10/10 impressed.

Well, I can think of Aerie tanking, Imoen kills dragon in one hit, Keldorn takes 1024 damage from A>C........ It really depends on how much you know about this game :-)

Bard Songs not breaking invisibility has since been patched, but solo Jester runs always used to be a favorite. Patiently wait for all enemies to kill each other, then break invisibility to finish off the last man standing.

Speaking of patience, I've killed some of the toughest enemies in the game without even attacking by using Keldorn's starting sword, which deals 5 magic damage every time he's hit. Use some means to negate or mitigate incoming damage, heal as necessary, and let the enemy do all the hard work for you. Theoretically, one could use something like a F/M/C with Hardiness, Defender of Easthaven, Armor of Faith, Ring of Gaxx, and Fireshields to do the same thing for the entire saga. (F/M/T would probably have been a superior choice if you could still wear Jan's starting armor. Alas and alack!)
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    @SomeSort Yeah, noticed that Bard Song breaks illusions now, just learned that they fixed the long-existing Mislead song exploit in v2.3, gonna miss that number, but that's the thing should be done.