Skip to content

Regarding Multiplayer and Mods

NightingaleNightingale Member Posts: 61
Hi all!

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I had a question regarding the effect mods have on a multiplayer game. Lately, I've decided that it might be fun to explore the multiplayer aspect of the infinity engine games. I am also an avid mod user and have modded all of my Beamdog games extensively. Would this negatively influence my ability to play with other people? I guess the main questions are as follows:

1) Do mods have any effect on multiplayer games?

2) If so, do the mods of the host take precedent, or do every player's mods have a potential effect?

3) Would I have to uninstall my mods to prevent any potential issues if I want to play multiplayer, or is there a way to temporarily disable them for multiplayer campaigns?

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    What generally happens is one game or the other will crash when differences are encountered.

You could temporarily rename or move your override folder. Might be better to copy the entire game folder and have one folder for modded single player and a second unmodded one for multiplayer.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I have noticed some... odd... things regarding mods in MP. I actually have come to think that the mods of both the host and the clients will all be active and do relatively little to interfere with each other, even if they differ in some aspects. Here is an example I have noticed from one of my own MP experiences:

I once played BG2:EE with another person. I was the host and he was the client. I was a sorcerer and he was a kensai/theif or something. I noticed that while we were doing the Unseeing Eye quest he was successfully backstabbing beholders! I had no mod installed on my machine that allowed for backstabbing of beholders so I don't know how this would be possible unless he had such a mod on his machine.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    @Tresset that's not a mod issue, but a multiplayer 'feature'/bug. As I know nothing about modding or coding you will have a far better chance of understanding how that arises than I do :). For whatever reason the code providing creatures with immunity to backstab is only observed by the host - the client is free to get behind those golems and have fun with backstabs ...