Skip to content

Concern about the GOG version possibly being gimped (cloud saves, achievements)

Hi there. I was going to pre-order the EE version of Planescape since I have the original on GOG and I'm currently being offered a 30% discount. However, at the last moment I saw the FAQ: https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq

... and I'm a little worried about achievements and cloud saves being exclusive to Steam. The point of the GOG Galaxy client is to actually have those features, particularly in newer games.

Can the devs confirm whether that's just a mistake in the FAQ or if the GOG version will indeed have less features?

Comments

• cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Last I checked (a few months back so things may have changed since then) GOG Galaxy is still in beta and the only game that has achievements through it is Witcher 3 (CD project RED own GOG so they are testing that part of the client on their own games first). I don't think the achievement API has been made public yet.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364
    GoG achievements have been around for a long while. The have been part of the Galaxy Client (beta and release) since late 2015.

I was mostly playing older games so I never really noticed, but most newer games have been supporting GoG achievements.
  • VulchorVulchor Member Posts: 9
    cmk24 said:

Last I checked (a few months back so things may have changed since then) GOG Galaxy is still in beta and the only game that has achievements through it is Witcher 3 (CD project RED own GOG so they are testing that part of the client on their own games first). I don't think the achievement API has been made public yet.

You didn't look very hard apparently, there are dozens of games that support achievements going back to 2015! Platform-parity, if Steam has achievements, the GOG version should have them too. You wouldn't give the Xbox version of a game achievements, but not the PS4 version would you? I'm sick of publishers and developers giving DRM-free gamers a lesser experience because of our choice of distributor. There have been many experiences when I've interacted with devs and publishers in the past that I've felt like they've treated me as a second-class gamer because I didn't want to use Steam. The most disgusting of these was League of Geeks and their Armello game, which I backed because they promised DRM-Free gamers would get everything that Steam users got, and then they gave a super nerfed version called the DRM-Free edition. I don't want that experience ever again and I'm reminded of it every time a game is released with more features on Steam than on GOG.
  • VulchorVulchor Member Posts: 9
    https://www.gog.com/mix/games_with_galaxy_achievements

This isn't even a full list of the games with achievements, I own some that aren't on this list, but I don't want to dig for them. Just an example so you can see how many other devs are supporting achievements and this goes back two years, so its not just because Galaxy is coming out of beta soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Thanks for reporting this. :)

Thank you @typo_tilly for posting the feature requests.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zone99Zone99 Member Posts: 1
    I go back and forth on GOG vs. other purchase options, like Steam, when available. Cloud saves are nice to have but I don't switch machines that often and, I've sometimes found that Steam is more of a block than an enabler. There have been a couple of situations where Steam is blocked from starting and then I can't start my game.

When buying through GOG, at least, I don't have to worry about that part.

I'm buying through GOG for the 30% discount.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    You can start the EEs straight from the exe file without logging in on Steam.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    During the twitch stream yesterday with Chris Avellone, Trent said in the chat that PST:EE achievements are only for Steam.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Galaxy is out of beta into v1.2 which supports cloud saves and achievements.

@Doubledimas - I still have 1.1.30 beta. Are they finally enabling the settings where you can turn achievements *off*? They've been teasing that feature since 2015 as "Coming Soon," so I've been wondering if it will ever be implemented.
  • taclanetaclane Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 364

Are they finally enabling the settings where you can turn achievements *off*? They've been teasing that feature since 2015 as "Coming Soon," so I've been wondering if it will ever be implemented.

@AstroBryGuy That feature appears to be part of 1.2.x release.

• Generator22Generator22 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2017

During the twitch stream yesterday with Chris Avellone, Trent said in the chat that PST:EE achievements are only for Steam.

Well, seeing how GOG has advertised and given a lot of prominence to Beamdog games in general and PS:EE in particular, that's a goddamn shame. I hope we at least get cloud saves. Otherwise, it would look as if the dev is treating GOG users as second-class citizens.

Thanks for the update, by the way.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947

Galaxy is out of beta into v1.2 which supports cloud saves and achievements.

...and japanese and italian languages finally.

@Generator22 We will try to see if this (achievements for GoG) can be improved after the game's release.
  • gogdoggogdog Member Posts: 20

@Generator22 We will try to see if this (achievements for GoG) can be improved after the game's release.

I'd also love to see achievements and maybe cloud-saves on GOG. I bought my copy there and would be happy to have full functionality.